• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Ardent - Stuck on Isla Mona

Kara Korsan

Sailor
Hello again!

Been trying out the Ardent storyline lately. It's quite enjoyable, and I truly appreciate the effort put in it. It's been a blast so far.

Halfway through, I got bored of my stern-but-compassionate Ardent and restarted. This time, Ardent is a complete monster, and it finally feels like I'm playing a real pirate of the Caribbean. Except that this unrepentant jerkish approach caused me to get completely stuck somewhere along the line.

See, this Two Dogs fella tried to alter the deal Darth Vader style in the beginning of the game, and if there was even a slightest chance of me taking him home, he destroyed it by doing so. I went along with it, let him help me with the crew, and then disposed of him unceremoniously. Which means I never had a reason to visit Isla Mona, and I moved on with the main quest.

Eventually, I visited Turks and ran into some pirate guy at the docks, who helpfully informed me that Isla Mona is currently under French occupation and a frigate is patrolling the coast. Sailed over and captured the frigate, sunk it (I got a better ship and am not interested in a second one), fought my way to the Indian village, talked to the chief, went the other way and through the mines, found the abandoned fort, captured the frigate captain and went back to the village. The quest book implied that I should get the natives to cooperate, so I headed into the chief's house. Here's where it all got real weird.

As soon as I entered the hut, the chief walked up to me and gave me his "You returned my son to me" greeting. Two Dogs was standing right there, respawned, albeit under the name "Indian Warrior not-Fighting" just like how other respawning colonists get their names changed whenever they're killed for whatever reason. The chief even gave me the Mayan Temple quest! But that also means I can't move forward with the main quest, because the chief won't talk about the French anymore. Just the usual flavor dialogue, like their history and such. Going back to the fort doesn't help; it's empty. I can't leave the island to get myself busy with other stuff; the command menu is disabled and the ship is locked. I'm quite literally stuck.

Is there anything that can be done? Any way to remind the chief that he should be all about the occupation?

Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: Against my better judgment, I decided to snoop around a little bit. Went into PROGRAM > Storyline > Ardent > quests and found a file named "quests_reaction.c" there. Knowing there was no turning back, I dove further down and found this bit:

case "mona_attack_fort_battle_won":
Characters[GetCharacterIndex("Quest_Chief_Indian1")].dialog.CurrentNode = "fort_taken";
// LAi_group_MoveCharacter(characterFromID("French_Captain1"), "FRANCE_SOLDIERS");
LAi_SetCivilianGuardianType(characterFromID("French_Captain1"));
Characters[GetCharacterIndex("French_Captain1")].dialog.CurrentNode = "fort_surrender";
break;

Running the second line through the console seemed to solve it for now in my case, but the problem is still there, so maybe you guys would like to look into it. I keep seeing "LAi_NoRebirthEnable" everywhere I look, so maybe it's possible to stop Two Dogs from respawning? I have no idea what I'm talking about, but you get the idea.

I think I've found the problem. I'll be releasing a new update soon which will fix this, along with some other bugs in the storyline. Thanks for reporting it, @Kara Korsan! :cheers

Happy to help, @Grey Roger. Thank you for looking into it.

Speaking of "some other bugs," I'm supposed to meet the real Uasco in my cargo hold, but he's nowhere to be found, so Ardent is just standing there like an idiot with the controls disabled. Found a line in that quest reaction file (ChangeCharacterAddressGroup(CharacterfromID("Uasco Mazinho"), "Hold1", "rld", "loc1");) but running it through the console before or after the duel on the deck didn't help. Maybe you'd like to take a look at it as well, in case it's a general problem.

Try putting this into the console instead:
Code:
LAi_SetLoginTime(CharacterFromID("Uasco Mazinho"), 0.0, 24.0);
Then try running console before the duel.

And the next update will include that line in the quest code when you first take Uasco aboard so that he should always be visible in your hold at any time of day or night, plus a line to put him back to normal working hours when you finally release him.

Thanks again, @Kara Korsan! :cheers

So the poor simpleton was sleeping! Thanks once more, @Grey Roger. Worked perfectly. Now I guess I'll have to switch him back to the day/night cycle so he won't have to stand around with the night watch at 2am. Until your patch comes along, that is.

Once Uasco is back ashore, put this into console:
Code:
LAi_SetLoginTime(CharacterFromID("Uasco Mazinho"), 6.0, 22.0);

You must have taken some time before going to confront the spy. You're supposed to see the governor and tell him what you plan to do, then either get the spy onto your ship and kill him, or bring the real Uasco ashore to confront the impostor. The governor's residence is only open during daytime, so unless you went shopping on the way to the port, it should still be daytime when you get to your ship. And that's why I never ran into this problem when I was testing this part of the story.

Yeah, running around is a pain, so I use fast travel a lot. Fast travel takes about 40 minutes even if the door you're going through is right in front of your face. I may have taken a detour; a lot of sidequests lead you to Puerto Rico, you see.

Edit to add: Seems I'm stuck with Jaime. End of the main story, yet the guy is still clinging to me. Can't take him out of my shore party. Tried to get him impaled on a sword at a boarding, but he seems invincible.

Last edited:
What does the questbook say? Did you promise to take him to Tortuga or did you recruit him as an officer? (Depends on whether you chose "adventure, excitement and romance" or "black-hearted sea-robber" right at the start.)

If he's supposed to be an officer, try this in console:
Code:
SetCharacterRemovable(CharacterFromID("Jaime Lezcano"), true);
LAi_SetImmortal(CharacterFromID("Jaime Lezcano"), false);
LAi_NoRebirthEnable(CharacterFromID("Jaime Lezcano"));

Thanks, that fixed it.

Didn't even know that offering to take him to Tortuga was an option. It never came up. Ardent offered him a position on the ship during the negotiation, and he accepted. He's been sticking around ever since.

Yeah, I chose Ardent to be black-hearted at the start. He's getting far more adventure, excitement and romance than he deserves anyway, plus he gets to tell off poor ladies who beg for chump change on the streets. I suspect he'd even kick puppies around Santiago if the game allowed it.

That is correct. If you play the action-adventure-romance hero then you take Jaime Lezcano to Tortuga. If you play the black-hearted sea-robber then he's your sort of scum and you take him as an officer.

You can tell beggars to get lost even if you're playing as the hero. But the game has a sneaky loyalty system whereby officers are secretly good or evil, regardless of what their reputation says, and may desert if they don't like what you do in some sidequests. If you choose to play as the hero then the two officers you get right at the start are good and will approve if, for example, you are nice to Artois Voysey. If you choose to play as the villain then you get two different, evil officers who will be happier if you pick Nigel Blythe instead. (This is not a feature of the storyline, it's in general gameplay, and you never know whether random officers recruited in taverns are good or evil until they desert after you've done something in a sidequest.)

Yeah, I noticed you could be mean to people as a heroic Ardent or vice versa; apparently they're generic features that apply to any storyline. Doing that wouldn't look terribly in-character, though. Like, it doesn't make much sense playing a naval officer and then ransoming Sabine to her mother AND then her father AND still holding on to her. That loyalty thing is new to me, however. Caught a glimpse of all those "ch.loyality (sp) = 10" lines while trying to console my way through the hiccups I mentioned in this thread, but didn't give them any thought. I've never got deserted so far, but I imagine I'd be very surprised if that happened. The whole system sounds...counter-intuitive. I mean, I got deserted many times in the Baldur's Gate series, but at least you'd see that coming miles away.

This is not a feature of the storyline, it's in general gameplay, and you never know whether random officers recruited in taverns are good or evil until they desert after you've done something in a sidequest.
Does that actually HAPPEN these days?

I know it was an unfinished feature from the original game that one of the modders (was it @pedrwyth?) fixed up at some point.
But the triggers one way or another are so few that I kind-of expected this to virtually never occur...

Yes, it happened to me, on more than one occasion. One time it happened to Two Dogs, which prompted me to tweak the levelling system so that it does not assign the "loyality" attributes to quest characters, and the officer reaction system to do nothing to any officer without the attributes. If a quest author wants an officer to be able to desert, he can add the attributes to the character's definition - and I did add them to the officers whom you receive at the start of "Ardent".

Glad to hear it!

I much prefer features that actually DO something. :cheeky

Back