• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Biggest mistake of my gaming career

Scotia_Steve

Landlubber
So I became curious yesterday and thought to myself "wouldn't it be great if PotC was available on pc" and sure enough it led me down this path! Now I got a copy off a site, installed it all perfectly no problems went to launch then my woes began......it would not launch from the PotC icon that had appeared on my desktop! In a panic I thought I must've done something wrong and deleted everything the wrong way, I didn't use the add or remove programs and instead deleted them from file explorer and into my recycle bin which I then emptied! Now I get the msg : installation support could not be installed catastrophic error:

I have already looked this up and deleted everything in the C: program installshield or whatever its called, even tried renaming the folder like others have suggested. But everytime I try that setup.exe I get hit with the same thing and it creates another installshield folder with the same stuff in it!

Any help would be appreciated! I miss this game so much and don't want to pull the old xbox out just to play it plus I'm dying to see this new horizon which adds so much!

Possibly you got some weird version of PoTC, or possibly Windows is doing something silly if you installed the game into "C:\Program Files" or "C:\Program Files (x86)". Normally you should indeed be able to simply delete the folder without needing to use "Add or Remove Programs". It should even be possible to have several different installations of the game as long as they're in different folders.

Try installing the game again. Presumably at some point in the installation procedure it should ask where you want to put the game. If so, put it anywhere except "C:\Program Files" or "C:\Program Files (x86)". Personally I put it into "C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean".

Possibly you got some weird version of PoTC, or possibly Windows is doing something silly if you installed the game into "C:\Program Files" or "C:\Program Files (x86)". Normally you should indeed be able to simply delete the folder without needing to use "Add or Remove Programs". It should even be possible to have several different installations of the game as long as they're in different folders.

Try installing the game again. Presumably at some point in the installation procedure it should ask where you want to put the game. If so, put it anywhere except "C:\Program Files" or "C:\Program Files (x86)". Personally I put it into "C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean".
So the first time I installed it I put it in my D:\Games folder and deleted it all, now when I hit setup.exe from the iso I have of the game it immediately comes up "an installation support file could not be installed catastrophic failure" I don't even get the chance to choose where I want it installed

Another way would be to reinstall windows. But not very practical, is it?
Also maybe if you go to uninstall the game from the programs list it may work. It should say something like "Program not found. Do you want to remove it from the list?".

Not sure if this will help though.
Check your PMs @Scotia_Steve.

Last edited:
Back