• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Confirmed Bug Bob Fred will not gain experience point as a captain

smrtwhkd

Master Mariner
This only happens to Bob Fred. Everybody else is okay. When you send Bob to captain one of your ships, he will not gain any experience. His experience bar will not change. But as soon as you relieve him and put him back, he will start to accumulate experience points again. I will do a test and show you later.

Odd. While looking into the problem with ship-hunting, I tried putting Fred Bob in command of what used to be Claire Larrouse's ship, and indeed he did not gain any experience. I've no idea why, though.

But he's supposed to be a boatswain, and he's a very good one - high experience level, therefore lots of HP, and good melee skill, basically a tank. Why waste him as a captain? Use him for what he was meant to be. :p

Or is my game install somehow screwed up? I feel this version has so many bugs and unstable compared to the old version I had from June last year.

Those bugs, and more, would have been in the June 2021 version as well. Some time I'll need to try starting a new game as a French privateer so that I begin in St. Pierre and can get Fred Bob right away, then capture something and put him in command, then see if he fails to gain experience in that game as well. If he does, it's probably a bug in the levelling system, and that was rewritten into the current form ages ago.

That appears to be the case for all officers on my two companion ships. While all the officers on my own ship - on duty or not - develop, nothing happens for the eight officers assigned to my two companion ships.

That I can not confirm. I've had companion officers gain experience, not as quickly as when they're subordinate officers on my ship but they do gain it, and even gain levels. Fred Bob is the only one who doesn't seem to gain experience, and that was in someone else's savegame. I've yet to recruit him in a game of my own to see how he behaves.

Hey @Grey Roger. I found out what is going on. If your officer captains a ship before joining you then everything works fine (Character like Claire Larouse or anyone captured from battle. If the officer is recruited or assigned by game then he or she will not gain exp. I tested Claire Larousse. I gave her a ship and she can gain exp no problem. But when I switch to an officer that was given to me initially. He doesn't gain any exp whatsoever.

About those officers who fail to gain experience - what sort of officers were they before you assigned them to command ships? I am now wondering whether the levelling system remembers that Fred Bob, for example, is a boatswain who should not normally gain experience from sailing. See what happens if you hire a navigator from a tavern (ask the bartender for a navigator to make sure) and then assign him to a companion ship.

Hmm.. An interesting thought. Claire was 1st Mate. Let me test it on Bob. Set him to 1st mate then give him a ship to see if the number of exp points would change at all.

Back