• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Bournemouth school pupils told off over 'racist' video

Beneke

Landlubber
Bournemouth school pupils told off over 'racist' video
A school in Dorset says it has disciplined three boys after they played a "racist" video in class which caused offence to a South Korean pupil.
Mi Lowe said the footage seen by her 14-year-old son at Portchester School in Bournemouth mocked their culture.

The video, called "I'm a Korean", showed images relating to North and South Korea to the backing of the Black Eyed Peas' song I've Got A Feeling.

The school has apologised said it takes racism very seriously.

The footage, downloaded from the internet, was played while pupils researched different countries' musical traditions in the build-up to the World Cup.

'Learn lessons'

Mrs Lowe, who said her son suffers regular verbal racist abuse, told BBC News: "It [the video] was making fun of Korean culture.

"The whole class was laughing at the situation.

Assistant headteacher Len Idle said the video was "probably racist" "My son was devastated, upset, very offended, feeling very lonely as he was the only Oriental person in the class."

Len Idle, assistant headteacher, said he thought the video was "probably racist".

He added: "I want to take this opportunity to apologise to Mrs Lowe that the actions of a minority of pupils have upset her and her son on this occasion."

The school said it will learn lessons from the incident but limiting internet access would "sanitise" pupils' education.

All the parties involved are expected to meet and discuss the matter.

What do You guys think?

EDIT: i removed the video. the video can be found here however

I'd say whoever their teacher was ought to be shot for not screening the videos first before letting the class see them. The kid's mother should be shot, too, because she just made damn sure he'll never get any friends now that everybody knows he's a "Momma's Boy".

People wonder why racism still exists - this is why. Those two need to learn to take it as a joke - it would make everything go easier. That's no different than Muslims going bonkers when that guy made a Muhammad cartoon - look at the Catholic Church, who just ignores or laughs off everybody that picks at it. Not many people target the Church or its believers much anymore for jokes, since they aren't any fun.

Looked more like the video was more lambasting Kim Jong-Il to me than just being racist. I won't comment on the song it's self, as there are a lot of songs out there that could be classified as racist, yet get played daily on the radio and TV.

I do agree with Stallion though, I put the blame squarely on the teacher for not screening what was going to be played in class.

EDIT all that i wrote, upon closer inspection of the article, it seems to me that the kid that did this downloaded it from some other place, so sorry district. xD:
So i would have to say:
Stallion is completely right, the teacher should have checked what was going on, although im sure the kid probably renamed the song before showing it.
I will admit however, that one of my teachers heard the song and thought ot was funny. We didnt show it to the whole class though, we just told the teacher about it.
But really the kid just did it for the act of being bad, i mean the kid didnt do it to look funny or cool, he obiously did it to hurt the victims feelings

i Blame the district.

For example, in my district, kindergartners arent even allowed on a computer,
3rd grade has the same blocking of the internet as the high schools do.
In the district, all the computers are have a, filter that doesnt let you go on youtube Pron sites or anything else that could cause a problem like this. This also oncludes the teachers and the deans or principals. WHY would a SCHOOL district allow kids to go on YOUTUBE!? really, like they didnt see this coming, and why on earth did the teacher let the kids on a computer without watching them, i mean really if youre working on a "project" and you see some kid on youtube wouldnt you do something?

I mean the song really wasnt saying things to the kid, its actually making fun of kim jong il who is the one who causes problems to the koreans. :?

Back