• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

BRIG replacement suggestions

Rider88

Master Mariner
Storm Modder
Storm Modeller
As my brigantine is going to be finished, I want to start this topic to listen different opinions about possible replacements for Brig1, BrigSW and BrigQueen models. I've got several variants:

1. During my past vacation I've studied an Osprey Vanguard journal #70 dedicated to pirate ships of 1690-1730. It tells that one of the most common buccaneer vessel of 17th century was a brigantine. Although it says that it was a small 2-masted vessel of 150-400 tons with square rigged front mast and fore and aft rigged mainmast OR fore and aft rigged mainmast with a square topsail OR lugger type lower sail along with a square topsail OR complete square rigging on a mainmast along with a gaff-sail. The last variation was a brig certainly. It was just called a brigantine, along with a snow.
Coclusion: Brig was a common vessel of 17th century, along with a brigantine and a snow. There were no classification difference between them until early 18th century, when terms "brig" and "snow" appeared to name variations of brigantine. As I can't find any plans of 17th century brigantine besides Castell Friedrichsburg (on which I am working now) I suggest to take one of the plans of early 18th century brigs, redraw them a little to make them look like 17th century vessel (make a conventional one peace bowsprit, place a steering lever instead of steering wheel). As an example I can take a St. Peter 14-guns snow, adopt her a little to make her look like a 17th century brigantine and make a model then.
St_peter2.gif

2. We certainly know that ketches were popular two-masted vessels of 17th century. They were similar to brigantines in sizes, armament and sailing characteristics, but there is a lack of plans of ones belonged to 17th century (except Nonsuch, which we already have in the game). But I have plans of several 18th century ketches, which I can adopt to look like 17th century vessels according to the plan of Nonsuch. Here they are:
- Hackham
pirate.jpg

- Cacafuego
89315506.jpg

- Salamander
05584224.jpg

- HMS Racehorse
16292504.jpg

So what do you guys think?

You could make a snow or a brigantine from it. Making a ketch from that rig is somewhat..far out..

But I think it´s great to see someone care about the smaller ships from the earlier periods, as later Napoleonic vessels are far more popular but also very uniform and quite boring. For ship plans, you might want to look towards the Baltic navies of 1670-1740, as these brigantines were very popular in the shallow waters.Examples are "Vite Örnen", "Gyldenloewes Galley" and "Falken", you get them from either Chapman or Orlogsbasen.

a snow has the distinction of a seperate mastpiece for the gaff behind the actual mainmast. that's where it differs from a brig.

You could make a snow or a brigantine from it. Making a ketch from that rig is somewhat..far out..

But I think it´s great to see someone care about the smaller ships from the earlier periods, as later Napoleonic vessels are far more popular but also very uniform and quite boring. For ship plans, you might want to look towards the Baltic navies of 1670-1740, as these brigantines were very popular in the shallow waters.Examples are "Vite Örnen", "Gyldenloewes Galley" and "Falken", you get them from either Chapman or Orlogsbasen.
I didn't mean making a ketch of a brig. The first variant meant to make a snow or a brig without global changing of the rigging and name it brigantine to match historical authenticity. There have to be only minor changes to the whole ship look- replacing a steering wheel with a lever and changing a bowsprit to a conventional single log peace (both the steering wheel and double log bowsprit was a 18th century invention and could not be found in 17th century during the buccaneer era).
The last four pictures was ketches and I don't want to rebuild their rigging. I just suggested to create their models and replaced stock brigs with them.
Thanks for the names of brigantines. I'll try to find their plans.

a snow has the distinction of a seperate mastpiece for the gaff behind the actual mainmast. that's where it differs from a brig.
I know it. The Saint Peter is definitely a snow. I just want to call it brigantine and it wouldn't be a mistake.

why do you want to call it a brigantine though, and not a snow? you could call it a brigantine, but why?

why do you want to call it a brigantine though, and not a snow? you could call it a brigantine, but why?

To match a historical authenticity :) It is not so important for me. 4 strings in common.ini can be changed in a minute. The main question for me is what to do? Build a brig or snow to replace the stock brig? Or it is better to build a ketch and get rid of brig completely? I'm eager to do both, a brig/snow and a ketch. But I want to build first the one, which community like to see first :)

what i would like to see is that you'd replace the snow with a better looking version, namely the one you already suggested as brigantine. or you could call the replacement a brigantine and rename the existing brigantine into a hermaphrodite brig (it's actual name), unless that's been done already.

If you go to my ftp->new ship plans->older ships you will find detailed plans for a brig of 1732, a snow of 1744, and a ketch of 1752. I realize these ships are from a slightly later time than what you are planning on building, but maybe they could be used for where you have no hull form plans or are missing details? you may already have enough plans, but if not, these are here. :keith I hope they help, good luck mate :onya

Hi,

I think replacing the original ships would be a good goal, however I reckon it would be best to keep the original models until all have an appropriate replacement. I do like the designs of some of the original ships (such as the Pinnaces and the Galleons) but some seem out of scale (bulwarks seem too low down) and also have features that were not present on ships of the period (dolphin striker on brig or steering wheel on galleon for example). In my opinion the smaller ships should outnumber the larger ones as they would be the more numerous and varied with representations of each type of rig (Brigs, Brigantines, Snows (or Snau), Sloops, Schooners etc).

The picture of the second ship down looks like a Dutch Hoeker see here: http://www.maritiemdigitaal.nl/index.cfm?event=search.getdetail&id=101002923

I had a look at the plans Captain Armstrong has and they are Howard Chapelle plans of the Cruizer of 1732 (pink sterned brig which is also in PotBS as the Cruizer), the Hazard of 1744 (Merlin Class Sloop) ships of this class were rigged as Brigantines or Snows and the Speedwell Ketch 1752 (which could be rigged differently if needed).

Model of the Speedwell in the NMM: http://www.nmm.ac.uk/collections/explore/object.cfm?ID=SLR0335

Renders of Cruizer class brig hull form (1797) I modeled a while ago awaiting completion:
http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae282/jamesjn/Cruizer%20Class%20Brig%201797/CruizerClassBrig01.jpg
http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae282/jamesjn/Cruizer%20Class%20Brig%201797/CruizerClassBrig02.jpg
http://i980.photobucket.com/albums/ae282/jamesjn/Cruizer%20Class%20Brig%201797/CruizerClassBrig03.jpg

Interestingly the Cruizer class of 1797 also share the same hull as the Snake Class Ship Sloops so this hull could be used to make the Snake Class too; check this example: http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/caldercraft_hms_snake.html

Regards,

SeaNorris,
I think you are right that original models should be kept until suitable replacements are made, and by period. For example if someone made a brig/snow to replace the stock one for 1600s/ early 1700s, the stock brig should remain ingame for the later periods, and vice-versa. I was actually planning on making the 1797 Cruizer my next project, but luckily I hadn't started work yet. I started to make the USS Syren of 1803 for the same role, but her hull form wasnt as nice as I thought it was and she somehow ended up being 2/3 as deep as she should be below the waterline. :facepalm I assume you are still planning on completing the Cruizer? I like what you have so far, the flow of the hull is well done. I may make the 22-gun ship-sloop Volage of 1797 next, ( her plans are on my ftp) I started on her awhile back and she has a nice sleek hull form. Even so, I think the ship-rigged Cruizer/Snake class is a good Idea, it would add variety and hit two birds with one stone if I cant finish the Volage in a reasonable amount of time. About the Cruizer of 1732, do you think there is any chance of obtaining the POTBS model from their shipwright community or the builder? Or was she made by FLS? Because even If she wont work for the 1600s, she would be a great fit for the early 1700s up to maybe the American revoulution era.

I will be finishing the Cruizer absolutely :)

I wish I could model as quick as Pgargon as I would have modeled loads of ships by now. :cheeky

Other ships at the stage of the Cruizer include, La Sirenne 1744 (Similar to La Renomee which is the Conquistador in PotBS), a French 28gun Light Frigate 1700 (plan was incomplete but I modeled the stern as best I could), Chapman 12 gun Cutter (posted images on the Neptunus thread), *Merlin Class Sloop (Hazard 1744), *Vestale 1757 (French Frigate Flora), *L'Abekanise 1756, *Chapmans PL34 Privateer, *Chapman Hagboat PL9 and HMS America 1749. The ones marked with *are hulls modeled by Phil while the others were done by myself. The plan was to model groups of these simultaneously by modeling each to the same stage but since we both have limited time at the moment we have had to put that plan on hold for now. I will post renders of the various hull forms when I get the chance ;)

The Cruizer in PotBS was modeled by Hans (who also modeled the La Belle) and I have tried to contact him but with no results unfortunately but I will keep trying.

Regards,

SeaNorris,
I think you are right that original models should be kept until suitable replacements are made, and by period. For example if someone made a brig/snow to replace the stock one for 1600s/ early 1700s, the stock brig should remain ingame for the later periods, and vice-versa. I was actually planning on making the 1797 Cruizer my next project, but luckily I hadn't started work yet. I started to make the USS Syren of 1803 for the same role, but her hull form wasnt as nice as I thought it was and she somehow ended up being 2/3 as deep as she should be below the waterline. :facepalm I assume you are still planning on completing the Cruizer? I like what you have so far, the flow of the hull is well done. I may make the 22-gun ship-sloop Volage of 1797 next, ( her plans are on my ftp) I started on her awhile back and she has a nice sleek hull form. Even so, I think the ship-rigged Cruizer/Snake class is a good Idea, it would add variety and hit two birds with one stone if I cant finish the Volage in a reasonable amount of time. About the Cruizer of 1732, do you think there is any chance of obtaining the POTBS model from their shipwright community or the builder? Or was she made by FLS? Because even If she wont work for the 1600s, she would be a great fit for the early 1700s up to maybe the American revoulution era.

I will be finishing the Cruizer absolutely :)

I wish I could model as quick as Pgargon as I would have modeled loads of ships by now. :cheeky

Other ships at the stage of the Cruizer include, La Sirenne 1744 (Similar to La Renomee which is the Conquistador in PotBS), a French 28gun Light Frigate 1700 (plan was incomplete but I modeled the stern as best I could), Chapman 12 gun Cutter (posted images on the Neptunus thread), *Merlin Class Sloop (Hazard 1744), *Vestale 1757 (French Frigate Flora), *L'Abekanise 1756, *Chapmans PL34 Privateer, *Chapman Hagboat PL9 and HMS America 1749. The ones marked with *are hulls modeled by Phil while the others were done by myself. The plan was to model groups of these simultaneously by modeling each to the same stage but since we both have limited time at the moment we have had to put that plan on hold for now. I will post renders of the various hull forms when I get the chance ;)

The Cruizer in PotBS was modeled by Hans (who also modeled the La Belle) and I have tried to contact him but with no results unfortunately but I will keep trying.

Wow, that is quite the list!:woot I like your choices, plenty of frigates which is a good thing! but you also have enough other ship types to fill most of the remaining gaps for that era. :onya even with two modellers, that is an ambitious project. I think The America will make a great replacement for many of the stock warships, especially with ships like poseidon and centurion there too. I too wish I could model as fast as Pgargon, because I plan on doing something similar for the Napoleonic era, one ship at a time. ships I have started and are in a similar stage as your cruizer are the HMS Endymion (40 gun frigate,1797) the 22 gun Ship-sloop Volage (1797), and a small great lakes schooner from the war of 1812 (to be a lightly armed trade vessel). I also plan on at some point making an English 36 gun frigate of the 1790s or early 1800s ( havent decided which plan to use yet), possibly the spanish 34 gun frigate Mohensa and/or the USS Essex (32 guns, 1799). Except for the 36 gun frigate,the plans for all of these ships should be on my FTP if anyone wants to take a look. I have also already made the American 20 gun privateer schooner Prince de Neufchatel (1812) and the 38 gun frigate Revolutionnaire (1794), both of which have their own threads here and are awaiting file conversion.

Sorry to disturb.
I would´nt say anything at first, but now I am in serious doubt. How can a ketch,supposed to only consist of gaff and bermuda sails, all of a sudden have reys with square-sails? Would that Speedwell-thing on the pic not be a sloop? Or a brig, for that matter.. :blink:

I always thought that ketches were defined by the placement of their masts( far aft, and looking somewhat like a ship without a foremast) and I would think that the rig of the Ketch changed over the years just as for example the schooner went to topsail schooners, double topsail schooners, hemaphradite rigs etc. I am only making a guess though. :shrug

Back