• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Buccaneers! Ship Combat Demo Now Available

Armada

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Project Manager
3D Artist
Storm Modder
Today is your first chance to try Buccaneers! for free! :keith

To celebrate the Ocean Institute's virtual Maritime Festival, Skyward Digital has released a short demo that showcases the naval combat portion of the game. Features include:
  • Learn how to sail your ship and fight in hand-to-hand combat in interactive tutorials.
  • Fight your way through multiple waves of ships and try all seven playable ship types.
  • Play on PC or in VR mode.
This is only a small taste of what's to come in the full game, so stay tuned for more updates!

UPDATE: The demo has now ended! You can still visit the store page to find out more about the full game: Buccaneers! on Steam

y4mHduc7jehborKDPK7xJfO-uVKPCI63tf4ifzNRPtstEZD01mLXl-b86PXNrGMLHgMwjR_sXcCIlF6_Fq4tanIZwTRr6qLJJijyXsK0HpnpkCVVao62bUDoDkVFP9xXwJexGhwQ4larbC4mtJ-W5MkGx4E9m3fMBZBWYHxWg57BZtncE9Rrb8x4K49wlqIfX6H9V8WAOnsFmq1kpW8WfBUxw

Please note this is pre-release software and is not representative of the final game. You may experience some bugs or glitches.

Join the Photo Mode Competition
As an added bonus, we're also running a photo contest for the duration of the demo. Use the in-game Photo Mode and share your best shots here, on our Discord or social media (use the hashtag #BuccaneersTheGame) for a chance to win a FREE copy of the full game when it releases!

UPDATE: The Photo Mode contest has also concluded! We will announce the winner shortly.

Send us your feedback
We'd love to know what you think of this early preview of Buccaneers!, so please share your comments in the Buccaneers! Discussion and Feedback thread or on our Discord. Your input will help us to iterate and improve the game before its eventual release.

Watch a live interview with the devs
Tune in to the Ocean Institute's livestream today at 11am PST/7pm BST/8pm CEST where I will be joined by the other two developers from Skyward Digital to talk about Buccaneers!, the inspiration behind it and how we recreated the Pilgrim for the game.

Check out the FAQ below for more info about the demo:
What is the demo and what does it include?
The Ship Combat Demo is a short preview focusing on naval combat. You can play a tutorial to learn how to use melee and ranged weapons and how to sail your ship, and you can then play a wave-based scenario featuring all playable ships in the game.

Does the demo represent the final game?
No, the demo is pre-release software and does not represent the final quality and feature set of the full game. You may encounter some bugs, glitches or unfinished features.

How long is the demo available for?
The demo will only be available to download and play for this weekend (12th-13th September 2020).

Can I keep playing the demo once it's no longer available?
No. The demo will be disabled and will no longer be playable once it is removed from the store page, even if you've got it installed on your PC.

How big is the demo?
The install size is approximately 2.20 GB.

Do I need a VR headset to play it?
No, you do not need a VR headset to play the demo. VR is an optional feature.

Which VR headsets are supported?
Currently we officially support the Oculus Rift/Rift S, HTC Vive/Vive Pro and Vive Cosmos. Other headsets may work but have not been tested, so you may experience some issues.

How many waves does the demo feature?
The demo includes seven waves of increasing difficulty.

What extra features will the full game have?
In addition to ship combat, the full game will include:
  • A full campaign mode with a storyline and quests.
  • Four playable factions with unique bonuses.
  • Fully customisable ships with different paint schemes, upgrades and more. - Land exploration in several Caribbean towns.
  • And much more!

Attachments

• Icon512.png
    Icon512.png
    218.9 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Nice, hopefully I will manage to try it tomorrow; modding work for now.

Good luck with the game! :dance

AFK all weekend here!

(Forum won't let me attach my "proof of excuse" on my phone... :facepalm )

The game looks really good, the graphics style has a nice charm to it.

20200913124455.jpg 20200913124823.jpg 20200913125311.jpg 20200913130215.jpg 20200913131827.jpg bucc.jpg

I really like what I have seen so far, can't wait for the next demo! :dance

I have downloaded it and despite being a demo, it's really good. This goes to show that the quality of the game matters, not the graphics. Well done, 8/10!

I was playing just now and a Frigate took down my mainmast, I was dead in the water:walkplank

@Foo Mxcah Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it! We're planning to address the dismasting issue so you won't be completely immobilised. We still have a lot of balancing work to do, and we've had some excellent feedback to help with this.

Heads up, the demo will no longer be playable from 10am PST / 6pm BST / 7pm CEST today, so if you haven't tried it yet, now's your chance!
Don't forget to send us your screenshots for a chance to win a free copy of the full game! We've seen some good submission here and on our Discord, so keep them coming. :checklist

The demo has now concluded! Thank you to everyone who tried the game for the first time! :doff

We received a lot of excellent feedback which we'll be using to improve the game going forward.
There will be more opportunities to play the game in the near future, so keep an eye out for more announcements soon.

The winner of the Photo Mode contest will be announced shortly.

Congratulations to Aldy on our Discord for winning our Photo Mode contest with this beautiful shot!

y4m_EabjrWpDVyT-9I7UAnwMafb1zfC8VUQCHDPH5kyNmfjJf4-TuYWCbxRvIkQ0s-va98QiYw3jTO37fF-PgG_GPq6QdpKD1QzEQGsoGNKSzvwZ6axy8v_oZVqmm5-eHfS1oY8FdumAC47iaYXRWOppmU98vaCk7pMoNfe2mvFB27xS-1rlu78z2U73WBe0l-70lOS8-W1LvVXLhlA82DP1A
Thank you to everyone who participated! We look forward to seeing more of your photos in future. :keith

Back