1. Dismiss Notice
  2. GOG.com logo

Thanks to YOUR votes, GOG.com now sells:
    - Sea Dogs - Sea Dogs: Caribbean Tales
    - Sea Dogs: City of Abandoned Ships

Vote now to add Pirates of the Caribbean to the list!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Under the Crossbones Podcast

A Pirate Podcast with Interviews
    Music, Comedy and all things Pirate!

- Episode Guide - About - Subscribe -
    - Twitter - Facebook - iTunes - Android -
    - Youtube - Fill the Coffers -

Dismiss Notice
  4. New Horizons logo

Quick links for PotC: New Horizons
    - Download latest version
    - Wiki - FAQ - Report bugs here
    - ModDB profile

5. GOF logo

Quick links for AoP2: Gentlemen of Fortune 2
    - Downloads and info
    - Historical Immersion Supermod
    - ModDB Profile

Dismiss Notice
New to the forum?
Please take a moment to read our Welcome Message and Forum Rules.

Mod Release Build 14 Beta 4.1 WIP [Last Update: 31 August 2017]

Discussion in 'POTC: New Horizons Mod' started by Pieter Boelen, Apr 17, 2016.

1. salonikasurf

salonikasurf Freebooter Storm Modder

Engineer
    @Grey Roger, In the latest update 6 Oct - the stunned dialogue does not work now.
    Error - file: dialogs\stunned_dialog.c; line: 131
    Undeclared identifier: addString

2. Grey Roger

Grey Roger Sea Dog Staff Member Storm Modder

Try this version. Put it into "PROGRAM\DIALOGS".

Attached Files:

3. salonikasurf

salonikasurf Freebooter Storm Modder

Engineer
    @Grey Roger Worked like a charm. Thanks for your quick response.

Pieter Boelen likes this.
  4. Ron foster

Ron foster Landlubber

retired Coast Guard Commander, PhD scientist
    You do realise this game (not a simulation, but a game)

BTW...all simulations are a game... this is no different. This is no longer a Disney operation based on the juvenile marketing target for monetizing a Disney farce.

Just because it was licensed by Disney from Akella and half-assed developed by Softworks does not excuse the lack of authenticity nor the extreme bug content. Only the most incompetent... or no QA/QC could explain such a disgusting fraud sold to the public as a monetizing of the Disney debacle called Pirates of the Caribbean. The film lost them money and this is likely why the funds ran out during development of the game and everyone just walked away.

The need and demand for this genre of game is obvious by the world-wide attempt displayed by this site to resurrect a game out of this trash-heap of badly coded programming.

I have given up playing due to the disgusting repetition of insulting malware written into this code by people who had no idea of the reality of the period and made no intelligent attempt to create something resembling the activities and relationships of the era.

The people associated with this site are doing a remarkable and honorable job of taking this trash and forging a game that will be a legend. They are the people with a dream and are putting a lot of very professional effort into removing the malware and creating an enjoyable gaming experience... such as what Sid wanted to do, but was betrayed by Atari.

We should all post our admiration for the leaders of this world-wide effort for the gaming community... an example that this world needs in this time of strife and hate.

If you enjoy such a game... rejoice! You have it... for the rest of us that expected a Sid Meier update and increased enjoyment of the sailing era genre... keep working POTC community, you are doing a great job.

5. Pieter Boelen

Pieter Boelen (Not So) Old Seadog Staff Member Administrator Storm Modder Hearts of Oak Donator

Maritime Research: Project Engineer (Analysis)
    I'm so confused.

The original game was not particularly incredible, but "malware" is certainly a very strong word to describe it.
    It never harmed anyone's computer as far as I've ever heard. And I've heard a lot by now! :shock

I played the unmodified version of the game for quite a bit back in the days.
    Maybe the US release was worse, but I only ever had access to the EU one and that was fine.
    I tend to be ridiculously good at finding bugs, so if there were something terribly wrong with the original game, surely I would've noticed?

Anyway, it doesn't matter now.
    The mod is much better either way, so I don't know why anyone should still care about the original game. :shrug

6. Ron foster

Ron foster Landlubber

I have found the War Pinnace with 34# guns do a good job reducing forts as long as the wind is about 20knts or better so that a moving target is hard to hit. A fast smaller ship such as War Sloop with at least 12#s is a good diversion to keep the guns off the heavies, capture a pirate to sacrifice while at least two WPs are reducing the fort. Hit and tun tactics work best with Tortuga anything else is just wasted effort with no benefit.

As for the islands... bummer... such a jarring inconsistency with reality.... perhaps a future revision since professionals are obviously working on the ships?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2017
  7. Pieter Boelen

Pieter Boelen (Not So) Old Seadog Staff Member Administrator Storm Modder Hearts of Oak Donator

@Armada already did the best he could possibly do and it's so much better than it used to be.
    Further improvement may happen in NHR, but don't count on it in PotC:NH. :no

8. Hylie Pistof

Hylie Pistof Curmudgeon Staff Member QA Tester Storm Modder

Have you ever heard of deconstructing a document? After deleting all of your mindless rants there is almost nothing left. I would suggest that you start taking your meds again.

Btw, I have played Sid Meier's Pirates and it wasn't that good. His other games were better.

9. Pieter Boelen

Just curious: the original or the remake? Or both?

10. Hylie Pistof

The original. It was an ok little game with humorous land battles between armies, but the sailing part was very basic.

11. Pieter Boelen

Wasn't that a DOS game, even? I'd expect those to be fairly basic.
    Though for it's time, the first Civilization was pretty extensive!

12. Mad Jack Wolfe

Mad Jack Wolfe Deck Scrubber, 2nd Class Staff Member Storm Modder

Writer and historian
    Ron, despite your redundant protests to the contrary, you clearly have not given up on playing Pirates of the Caribbean or tantrum-throwing troll.

You are not going to bully anyone over to your offensive, stilted view of things. You have, however, succeeded masterfully at making me care even less about what you have to say.

As before, have fun searching elsewhere for whatever it is you think you want.

LarryHookins and Pieter Boelen like this.
  13. Hylie Pistof

Dunno. I either played it on my Commodore 64 or my first pc, a 1991 IBM. I didn't play any other sailing games until someone gave me POTC in 2008.

Mad Jack Wolfe and Pieter Boelen like this.
  14. ColonelKetchup30

ColonelKetchup30 Sailor Apprentice

Is Danielle hire able again after you part at the After Final part of the main story line?

15. Grey Roger

Grey Roger Sea Dog Staff Member Storm Modder

You have the option to keep her around or tell her to go away. I don't think there's a way to find her and hire her again if you told her to get lost, so if you want to keep your options open, keep her with you. You could berth a ship and put her in command of it if you don't want her in your passenger list for now.

16. Ron foster

Ron foster Landlubber

Malware is the term for any piece of software with malicious intent. Malware includes spyware, worms, viruses, and other malicious programs.

Malicious software inserted into a game that destroys the intended enjoyment for no reason other than the malicious intent of the coder fits this description. Tell me what makes the cursed coin such a beneficial part of the NH experience? Does it further your enjoyment of the game or totally disrupt the concept on which the game is based?

For me it is a game ender. While the original POTC is Disney based and the rather tenuous association with the carnival ride in Anaheim may be your view point, it is not what Sid envisioned and not what he described in the promotions for the new (Akella based) game.

NH is intended to be the type of game that features simulated sailing ships and activity during the very romantic tall ships era, based on the C. S. Forester series of novels, which I have read and you should.

If you enjoy the gimmicks like the cursed coin... perhaps the modders working could make this an option selection on the list at the start of the game and let those who want the Disney (Bethesda Softworks interpretation) allow them to enjoy the gimmicks. A gimmick-free game is what the C. S. Forester devotees seek.

Offensive? Who is offended...you? Why? I directed none of my diatribe to you. I am stating my reactions to a game that is all potential and very poorly executed. The coders who did this hatchet job should be working for MicroSoft since they seem to be trying to emulate Win95.

If you feel bullied I suggest you might want to discuss this with your psychologist.

Stilted? Are you a literate person? Stilted indeed.

This effort is the best yet attempt to get a C. S. Forester based game into the gaming community and due to the efforts of world-wide gaming community coders it is possible if they just have the right motivation.

Since you enjoy the game as-is, keep on trucking, and stay out of my lane.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2017
  17. Pieter Boelen

So... You personally don't like the Disney films, therefore "cursed coin = malware"?
    That just made my day! Sooooo funny!!! :rofl

Awww man, couldn't you have told me that sooner?
    I've been guiding the development of NH for the past ten years, but you only tell me what it was intended to do NOW?!?

For the record, the Hornblower books are literally my favourite series of novels ever.
    Also, the spinning cursed coin was added to the mod at my suggestion.
    The one does not bite the other. Not for me anyway. ;)
    If it offends you so much, changing it to something else is easy enough to do yourself.

And since when did Sid Meier have something to do with Akella? :razz

Hornblower storyline is already in the game. Extra Side-Quest on its way too.
    But that's just part of the game; not all of it.
    So people who enjoy Forester, can get what they want. And so can people who want something else.
    Best of all, people who want EVERYTHING get that too. ;)

DeathDaisy and Hylie Pistof like this.
  18. Ron foster

Ron foster Landlubber

His other games were not sailing ships oriented... perhaps why you liked them better?

Ever heard of throwing out the baby with the bathwater?

Have been searching without luck... since this is the only game in town I'm stuck with it... Kinda like MicroSoft and Win95?

Besides with each update I hope that my messages have gotten through and someone has seen reason to make a change.

Just calling it as I see it... if you have a different opinion... good for you. Continue enjoying the gimmicks.

19. Ron foster

Ron foster Landlubber

The challenge is to find ways to work-around the bogus logic scheme used to frame this trash.

I enjoy a good challenge.

20. Hylie Pistof

Speaking of malware, it seems the posts by ron foster fit that category quite nicely.