• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Mod Release Build 14 Final Now Available

Done:

This is it.
I am finished.
I deserve the vacation that my dear friend(s) have been recommending I take for two years straight.

In other words, this is where I leave things.
It is up to whoever reads this to take things where I left off.

Think:
Plastering this all over the internet (ModDB, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, NexusMods and what have you more; like GOG.com/Steam, etc. and the list goes ever on).
I hope you fine peopsels enjoy this cumulative result of 14 years' of effort by easily 100+ different people from all over the globe, working together voluntarily in their spare time for zero charge.

@Pieter Boelen @Grey Roger If we want to make the game standalone, do we really still need an installer? Or can we just put it into an extract-anywhere archive?
A 1-file installer giving some tips and credits would seem a bit more professional than a simple archive.
Also, archives require extra software on the user side, such as 7-Zip.
We cannot expect all players to have and understand that.

I'd rather try to integrate with a Steam-like service too.
The less hassle for the user and the more we can use services where the players are, the better I think..

A 1-file installer giving some tips and credits would seem a bit more professional than a simple archive.
Also, archives require extra software on the user side, such as 7-Zip.
We cannot expect all players to have and understand that.

I'd rather try to integrate with a Steam-like service too.
The less hassle for the user and the more we can use services where the players are, the better I think..
I can do some research into whatever installer tech Steam uses. Getting to a one-file installer would solve many problems, and leveraging Steam's update system is another big plus.

I can do some research into whatever installer tech Steam uses. Getting to a one-file installer would solve many problems, and leveraging Steam's update system is another big plus.
That'd be bloody FANTASTIC!!
Please do.
All help is much appreciated.

I know Steam requires a sign-up fee.
But I'm sure that can be overcome.
Surely they don't ask an actual million...? :wp

Just now, 00BLACK0PPR00 asks:

Its gonna be released even: build14_beta5????. I mean POTC new horizons

From comment on:

Also...
Why is there ADS on our free-and-royalty-free upload??

I'll not be signing up for Steam. If I can figure out how to create installers, I'll do that instead of releasing zip updates. Otherwise I'll keep doing what I've been doing and someone else can copy them onto a Steam installer.

Except, of course, that if the next installer is on Steam where I won't go, then I'll have to keep releasing updates based on the most recent PA! installer...

Last edited:
I'll not be signing up for Steam. If I can figure out how to create installers, I'll do that instead of releasing zip updates. Otherwise I'll keep doing what I've been doing and someone else can copy them onto a Steam installer.

Except, of course, that if the next installer is on Steam where I won't go, then I'll have to keep releasing updates based on the most recent PA! installer...
Not to put too fine a point on things; I have offered my services here several times to maintain the existing New Horizons installer and create a new professional quality installer from the ground up. With 20 years of experience doing this kind of work for IBM, American Express (worldwide), and Xcel Energy - including setting the strategy of how such work is done and what technology is used to accomplish it - you'll pardon me for saying I am the most qualified individual here to develop and manage any installers for New Horizon, even if that entails multiple installers to accommodate Steam, GOG, or other gamer platforms.

However, if other modders here wish to go it alone for whatever reason and do things their way to whatever end, I will withdraw my offer, and that will be the end of it.

Not to put too fine a point on things; I have offered my services here several times to maintain the existing New Horizons installer and create a new professional quality installer from the ground up. With 20 years of experience doing this kind of work for IBM, American Express (worldwide), and Xcel Energy - including setting the strategy of how such work is done and what technology is used to accomplish it - you'll pardon me for saying I am the most qualified individual here to develop and manage any installers for New Horizon, even if that entails multiple installers to accommodate Steam, GOG, or other gamer platforms.
Please do! If you're willing to make a new installer, that would save me having to figure out how to do it. I considered trying to learn how to create installers only as a last resort because you've been busy with other things and @Pieter Boelen has said he's not going to make any more. You do indeed have previous experience and I agree that you would be the best person to create the next installer. :onya

Now that Hurricane Ian is out of my neck of the woods (prayers are with the good people of Fort Myers, the devastation and loss they're dealing with are heartbreaking), I can start digging into the particulars of Steam and evaluating which installer authoring tools would be best for our needs. I like the idea of having tips and developer credits cycling during the installation. You lot are bloody rockstars and deserve every bit of recognition imaginable. Artwork to showcase the visuals and build user excitement would be a definite plus. All suggestions are welcome and encouraged! :cheers

Back