• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Cannot attack town? Blasted it to nothing and cannot land

MrSparkle

Landlubber
I've never attacked a town in this game before. I decided to try it today. My ships are only corvettes and an east indiaman but this was more of an experiment (brought on by a fort attacking me as I tried to land to steal gold from a beached convoy).

I blasted the fort to nothing. None of my ships took any significant damage. I used over 1000 bombs and about 800 cannonballs, just my own ship, and not including grapeshot in between. I circled the fort numerous times and don't think there were any fort cannons left anywhere. It was a solid ring of black smoke all around. I don't have a good enough spyglass to tell me how many cannons are left.

I never got an option to land.

I spent literally nearly an entire game day just firing on that fort from various angles. I actually ran out of cannons - every single one of my cannons was destroyed. An hour's worth of game time was spent firing on that fort and I couldn't figure out how to land. I also couldn't leave the battle because some of ships decided to stop responding entirely and just sit there with raised sails.

I have not progressed in any nation quests, am rank 10, captain difficulty and am flying the english flag vs a spanish town. What is the trick to landing and attacking the fort? I don't care if I die miserably in the attempt, I just want to land! Sailing to the port just leaves combat (and leaves my ships to sink because they refuse to move). The manual isn't helpful, all it says is that you have to destroy an unknown amount of cannons and a landing icon will appear.

you said you destroyed all the Ft cannons??? if so there is a little fort icon with a ladder where you have to battle it out with the garrison, after defeating them then you can ransack the town. i just to Santo D. San Juan, and Cummana so far. but you need a class 1 warship with heavy guns and lotz of men in your squadron.

I'm pretty sure I got them all, or if not then I got most of them. I spent an awfully long time firing at each side of that fort. Just how many cannons need to be destroyed at captain level? Does it really have to be every single one? I have the game saved there so I can go back to it later if I want to.

Here's the thing: another captain gave me a quest to go with him to cape aruba and steal some gold from a beached convoy, but I have no way of approaching it without caracas fort firing on me. I used a spanish flag but the other captain still flew the english flag and I was attacked. Figured it was a good time to see what attacking towns was all about, and I did amazingly well with my east indiaman and two corvettes, plus the captain in his surprise. Took some crew damage but very little sail and hull damage, and eventually the fort stopped firing altogether so I had the freedom to attack each side of the fort nice and close for accuracy.

well what I find interesting is you ran out of cannon balls, what I find is when all the cannons are destroyed I cant fire anymore, so there must of been some left over by the sound of it, maybe due to your ships you didn't have enough firepower, or you didn't have enough men to land after the battle with the fort.

Another small point make sure you have the land troops ability or you wont be able to attack forts or towns.

Oh wait, you need that ability to land? I thought that was only to add the crews of your other ships to your total. I don't have it.

If you need a minimum number of men to land that could also be the reason. I didn't have a lot at all, maybe 250 or so. Like I said this was more an experiment to see how it all works. I'm going back to a previous save after this but I do want to understand the mechanics behind sacking towns.

yep, problem solved, you need the ability to land troops, make sure have loads of troops, its a long battle, you will have to beat the fort, then run through the whole town you attack and beat an army of guards there too, to attack a town I always take 4 warships with 900 men in each ship, and even then you get some losses.

Allied Troop Landing? That's the only one related to landing. I'll get it and try later, I have an ability point I haven't spent in that saved game.

I was thinking of POTC, well I think its the amount of troops you have then, as to attack a town on foot you need 500 men minimum, so for a fort you need more

my strategy for attacking Forts/Towns
1. get two Class 1 MoW's (man of War)
2. make sure you have god of death, critical shot, and allied troop landing in your ship specs.
3. go to bermuda shipyard, and get more Hold/Crew space
4. max out Crews on both ships
5. have bout 5000 powder, 4500 bombs/4500 cannonballs since your cannons will be higher caliber than classes 7-3, they will do better damage to fort cannons.
6. go to map mode sail near your intended target, go to sea, hold your 2nd MoW off @ a distance and engage the fort with your flag ship, most of the time you can destroy the fort with just your flag.
7. use your allied troops spec. when fort/town battle
8. use both of your ships to take the goods of the captured city.

all that has worked for me in the past and future when i take towns.

Good strategy Ben. I usually use THREE first/second rate MOWs rather than two, but use them almost the same way.

MK

Hey guys, I played a LONG time ago without the GoF patches or anything and was able to fully take over a town. Why can I only loot them now?

Back