• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Cannot load saves, base PoTC

qotsa

Landlubber
Hi all!

New to the forum, not quite sure how alive it still is, but figured this is the most recent and most active resource regarding this old gem.

I've just bought the game, installed it, and ran it entirely fine, with no issue. I had issues with the menu's sliders, but used the Bandicam fixed that others have shared to solve the issue.

When relaunching the game, I found that I was unable to load my previous save. I had and have this issue on my original Xbox version of the game, which I still have, but am at a loss. The closest threads that I could find didn't have a clear solution.
To be clear, I am stuck in the menu; cannot load, delete, or cancel.

Any help?

:ahoyHi! Welcome to PA!

Where did you buy the stock game? Is it the American or European version? I do not have those issues on my Stock Game(EU ver.)

Also, you might want to try out our BUILD 14 MOD. A lot more stable and a lot more has been added and improved to the game.
If you need help installing it check our FAQ and of course we'll be happy to help you further just in case as well.

:ahoyHi! Welcome to PA!

Where did you buy the stock game? Is it the American or European version? I do not have those issues on my Stock Game(EU ver.)

Also, you might want to try out our BUILD 14 MOD. A lot more stable and a lot more has been added and improved to the game.
If you need help installing it check our FAQ and of course we'll be happy to help you further just in case as well.

Hey! Thanks for such a quick response! :doff

I've got the American version, and it's somehow magically fixed itself after restarting my computer.
The saves that I had weren't actually being saved into the SAVE folder, but the restart's gotten that straightened out.

I'll re-post if the issue pops up again!

Hey! Thanks for such a quick response! :doff

I've got the American version, and it's somehow magically fixed itself after restarting my computer.
The saves that I had weren't actually being saved into the SAVE folder, but the restart's gotten that straightened out.

I'll re-post if the issue pops up again!
Awesome! If you do happen to experience some weirdness that wasn't there before and more. Delete the file called "options" in your game's main folder where the ENGINE.exe is located.
This will somehow refresh the game and resets everything to default so you only need to re-modify your settings in-game again.

Awesome! If you do happen to experience some weirdness that wasn't there before and more. Delete the file called "options" in your game's main folder where the ENGINE.exe is located.
This will somehow refresh the game and resets everything to default so you only need to re-modify your settings in-game again.
Delete "options", start the game, set everything the way you like it in the "Options" menu, then quit the game. Make a copy of the "options" file. It will probably be called "options - Copy" unless you actively rename it. This should be a clean version of the file.

Next time you see weirdness, delete "options", then make a copy of the copy, which will probably be "options - Copy - Copy". Rename that to "options". This is the clean file you made earlier, so it should be free of weirdness and still have all your favourite settings.

As @The Nameless Pirate already suggested, this sounds like it could be the famous Program Files weirdness.
I've heard stories before that Windows 8/10 hyjacks the SAVE folder and starts putting them somewhere else.
Can't remember where; but it was well-hidden. And it didn't always work... :facepalm

As @The Nameless Pirate already suggested, this sounds like it could be the famous Program Files weirdness.
I've heard stories before that Windows 8/10 hyjacks the SAVE folder and starts putting them somewhere else.
Can't remember where; but it was well-hidden. And it didn't always work... :facepalm
If an application tries to write into a file inside its own installation folder and you are not running it as administrator, the OS may put the file into a virttual store. All reads and writes to the file are redirected by the OS to this virtual store so it's transparent to the application, which is why PoTC still thinks its saved games are in the normal place. This is particularly likely to happen if you installed PoTC into the "Program Files" folder - just one of the reasons why you should install it somewhere else! Try looking in "C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Pirates of the Caribbean\SAVE".

Back