• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Captured captains and surrendering

vassock

Landlubber
I have 2 capped captains on my ship from the Netherlands (I'm English and England is at war with Netherlands). What do I do with them? I hope it doesn't involve setting foot on enemy ports.

Also, how do I get enemies to surrender? Recently, I was attacked by a Netherlands bounty ship that was smaller than my own. I had 184 men. They had maybe 20 after I pummeled them with grapeshot. Nonetheless, they did not surrender when I boarded. Very strange, since "hopeless" would be an understatement of the unlikelihood of their victory.

Also, how can I wage war for England? Should I have an English or Jolly Roger flag when attacking Netherlands? What is the difference anyway, besides detracting roaming ships on the seas?

Also, there seems to be a bug. If followed by patrols with a Jolly Roger flag, and then changing it to the English flag, you will constantly get the "engage or sail on" option. Obviously, "sail on" will be available, but the ships will continue to chase you. Once, this forced me to press "sail on" 50 times since I would get the popup message every split second!

<!--quoteo(post=322220:date=May 24 2009, 08:30 AM:name=vassock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vassock @ May 24 2009, 08:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=322220"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have 2 capped captains on my ship from the Netherlands (I'm English and England is at war with Netherlands). What do I do with them? I hope it doesn't involve setting foot on enemy ports.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
You can sell them to governors or you can let them go. Their own governors will pay more, but you can sell them to English ones as well. Beware that turning in pirate captains lowers your reputation; not sure about turning in navy captains to their enemies.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, how do I get enemies to surrender? Recently, I was attacked by a Netherlands bounty ship that was smaller than my own. I had 184 men. They had maybe 20 after I pummeled them with grapeshot. Nonetheless, they did not surrender when I boarded. Very strange, since "hopeless" would be an understatement of the unlikelihood of their victory.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yeah, pretty much that way, only more so. The chance of enemy surrender is supposedly also affected by one of your skills (leadership, maybe?).

Back