• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Changing a character's portrait

Mr_H

Landlubber
Hi!

Pretty much ever since playing the game back when it came out, it has always bothered me somewhat that the portraits of some specific officers don't match their models ingame (Amerigo Vieira springs to mind).

I was wondering if there was any way anyone knows of to rectify this?

Thanks in advance!

@Mr_H: I moved your thread, because from the name "Amerigo Vieira", I deduce you talk about the 2003 PotC game.

Do you use any mods or are you talking the stock/vanilla game?

Thanks! Yes that's correct.

The only change to the vanilla game I am currently using is that I replaced the original .exe with the build mod .exe, because I was having trouble running the original game (intel windows 10?) and I read that this was a suitable workaround - can't remember where, was a few years back. No other parts of the build mod are in my installation. I have also followed instructions listed here with the hope of continuing to play the game once the final quest is finished.

Pirates of the Caribbean File Modifying Guide for PC by magicdragon1981 - GameFAQs

Many thanks for your reply.

Oh my god!:shock That guide, why am I seeing that just now when it existed since 2004? I just skimmed through it really quick the first couple of pages Hahah I remember doing all those back then but was just posting everything on one of my threads as I figure them out with the help of Sire @Pieter Boelen among other OG's:checklist:cheeky. Well, that would've been extremely helpful hahah but I'm pretty sure a lot of codes have been modified now. Still, I would read that whole guide again when I get more leisure time. Nice!:yes Thanks @Mr_H ! xD

the vanilla game
In that case, I'm not quite certain how to do what you ask.
That entire system was thoroughly modified and simplified with the mod and that's the version I'm familiar with...

No worries haha, glad to have found it too!

Anyway I think I've figured it out for anyone else with similar problems. I used the awesome tools found on this website (TX converter and animation viewer) to look at the portraits and models in the resources folders.

I then chose which portrait I wanted (Face 13), found the model associated with the Amerigo Vieira character (pirat9) then added the line

'case "pirat9": rCharacter.FaceId = 13; break;'

to the characters_innit.c in the English folder.

This seems to change his portrait when looking at the 'load' screen (which then change back when game loaded), so hoping for a permanent change on a new game.

Thanks for the tools and a place to ask the question anyway!

Yes, I did a bit of poking around the stock game and came to the same conclusion.

The texture files themselves are in "RESOURCE\Textures\INTERFACES\PORTRAITS", where you'll find three sub-folders - "256", "128", "64". These hold the textures for the various size portraits - the 256x256 one shows up in the "Character" screen, the 128x128 one shows up in the screen where you can assign officers, and the 64x64 one is for the status icons on the main screen. The files are all named "face_xx.tga.tx", where "xx" is a number corresponding to the "rCharacter.FaceId" lines in "characters_init.c". As you can see, all numbers from 1 to 46 are taken and so is 52. If you can get a suitable screenshot of Amerigo Vieira, you can create your own pictures for him, give them a different number, then change that 'case "pirat9"' line to use the same number as your new files.

Back