• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Changing Menu Controls?

Michiko_chan152

Landlubber
So I used to play this game on the og Xbox a long time ago and it kept resurfacing in my memory so I managed to find the PC version and this forum and this mod for it which I had no idea even existed since a few days ago so I guess this is also a hello to the brilliant people keeping this game alive!

But anyway, I've been trying to figure out how to play the game with the controls on PC as well as all the new features the mod adds, but one thing in particular that I found to be really frustrating was the controls for navigating all the different menus. For instance I noticed that the only way to control some menus was to use the arrow keys, or in conversations you could only confirm selections with the space bar. Additionally it's only possible to navigate the command menu with the arrow keys and selecting things with the enter key.

So in general I guess the issue I have is switching back and forth from my mouse to the arrow and enter keys for different things, then moving back to my mouse for only certain menus that can't be navigated otherwise, like the shop screen. Is there any way to change some of the keybindings not in the controls menu, such as changing the arrow keys to the w, a, s, d keys?

Ahoy there @Michiko_chan152 and welcome aboard!

Various controls can be changed using the in-game Options menu.
If you have a vaguely recent version of the mod, then further tweaking is possible by editing PROGRAM\BuildDefaultControls.h .
You need to Reset Controls to Default after modifying that file.

As far as I recall, in the mod, you should be able to navigate the dialogs using the mouse alone.

Didn't we also change the main controls to WASD by default already?
I definitely remember making that change for myself, at least.

Didn't we also change the main controls to WASD by default already?
I definitely remember making that change for myself, at least.
Only in the dialogues I think.
In the main menu and the command menu, you navigate with the arrow keys.

Well I guess it's all the different ways you have to interact with different menus. Like where the ideal way to use them is switching between arrow keys, the mouse, WASD, and so on. Like the shop menus are ideal with the mouse but can't be used with WASD, others like the command menu have you switching to the arrow keys and confirming selections with enter when typically I get used to confirming things with space as it is in all of the other menus. So even after a few hours I keep getting confused and trying to confirm fast travel locations with space or navigating the shop menu with WASD. Guess it would just take some more time to get used to. I'll take a look at that settings file too.

Is there maybe a way to make the mouse movement in menus correspond with the speed and accuracy it typically would on your desktop, or is that an engine limitation or something of some sort that can't be worked around?

Only in the dialogues I think.
In the main menu and the command menu, you navigate with the arrow keys.
Ah; I was just thinking of the regular "walking around in the game world" part.

Like the shop menus are ideal with the mouse but can't be used with WASD
Indeed not all interfaces have functional keyboard support.
In theory that could be added, but nobody quite understands how the code for that works anymore. :facepalm

Is there maybe a way to make the mouse movement in menus correspond with the speed and accuracy it typically would on your desktop, or is that an engine limitation or something of some sort that can't be worked around?
That makes me think you may be affected by this:
Solved - Windows 10: Low Frame Rates Despite (BECAUSE OF!) Good Hardware

Normally menu performance should be quite fine.
But this issue affects menus more than regular gameplay.

That makes me think you may be affected by this:
Solved - Windows 10: Low Frame Rates Despite (BECAUSE OF!) Good Hardware

Normally menu performance should be quite fine.
But this issue affects menus more than regular gameplay.

That's not exactly the issue, it's more that it seems as if the mouse acts like I'm trying to navigate a menu with an incredibly low resolution in comparison to the desktop resolution, so the movement is a bit faster than desktop resolution and small movements don't always want to respond like a mouse deadzone or something. It's not a big issue but I could see it being a little hard to get used to my mouse speed being different in the game and on my desktop and any other game.

Huh; that sounds weird.

Maybe use Config.exe in your main game folder to make sure the game resolution matches your desktop resolution?

I like also using Windowed Mode in combination with Windows 7/Vista (SP 2) compatibility mode.

Ah and thank you for mentioning the settings file, I managed to set it where I can navigate the command menu with A and D and select with space which should make things a lot easier.

Back