• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Changing only the sail-to method from arcade into realism mode

Pieter

Landlubber
Hello,

First of all I want to say, what amazing job you guys did over the years! I played vanilla in 2003 but I have revisited the game with this mod multiple times over the years and every time I am amazed by the amount of love you guys have put into this!

I only need help with a very minor question; I like everything of realism mode except for the sail-to mechanic finding harbors for the first time. I love wind mechanics for fights, but when I don't already know where the harbor is on such a large strip of sand (like hopital on hispaniola) it does not add much for me while I remember liking the rest of the mechanics :) Is there an easy switch in the engine file im missing?

Sorry if the question has been asked before, but I could not find it. Thanks in advance!

Edit: I also see that I never gave proper thanks to the one question I had years ago; can't remember if it helped but still thanks to those that are still around and answered it :p

Last edited:
Ahoy there @Pieter,
You can tweak various realism settings more accurately at the top of PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h .
Edit with any text editor; like Notepad/Notepad++.

If I read you correctly, you'll want to switch the game to Arcade Mode.
And then choose the separate realism options that you want to keep.

Hey Pieter (your name is nothing short of amazing :cheeky),

Thanks for the quick reply!

What I meant was that I would like to play with realism mode, except that I want to implement the sail-to mechanic from arcade mode where you can go to ports easily from a distance even if you haven't discovered them before yet!
I should have worded it a bit more clearly. in PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h I just changed #define DISCOVER_SAIL_TO from 1 to 0 in realism options, hopefully that should change it for me. Thanks for the reply :) I'll test it out tomorrow.

Last edited:
Hey Pieter (your name is nothing short of amazing :cheeky),
Haha! Likewise.
Very nautical name:
09-19182-0309110005-pieterboele1.JPG
;)

What I meant was that I would like to play with realism mode, except that I want to implement the sail-to mechanic from arcade mode where you can go to ports easily from a distance even if you haven't discovered them before yet!
I should have worded it a bit more clearly. in PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h I just changed #define DISCOVER_SAIL_TO from 1 to 0 in realism options, hopefully that should change it for me. Thanks for the reply :) I'll test it out tomorrow.
I originally thought that wouldn't work, because most of the settings can only make the game MORE realistic; not less.
But I double-checked the code just now and indeed 'DISCOVER_SAIL_TO' does work the way you want. :yes

Note that this does require a New Game to be started.
Though maaaybe Reinit (F11) on a savegame would be enough?
Worth a try, I suppose.

Haha! Likewise.
Very nautical name:
09-19182-0309110005-pieterboele1.JPG
;)

I originally thought that wouldn't work, because most of the settings can only make the game MORE realistic; not less.
But I double-checked the code just now and indeed 'DISCOVER_SAIL_TO' does work the way you want. :yes

Note that this does require a New Game to be started.
Though maaaybe Reinit (F11) on a savegame would be enough?
Worth a try, I suppose.

Never knew it existed! Seems like a proper pirate ship to me, you could board drunk tourist ships in canals and steal their treasures with it at least :cheeky I'm sure you could fit a couple decent sized cannons on both sides for some proper intimidation.

It seems to have worked for me without starting a new game! I did go over pretty much every button to check what they did so I probably went over F11 as well. Thanks for the advice :)
Time go release Johan Elting from the spanish yoke and terrorize everybody who doesn't believe in the Dutch Republic!

Never knew it existed!
People keep telling me about it.
I wonder why... :rofl

Seems like a proper pirate ship to me, you could board drunk tourist ships in canals and steal their treasures with it at least :cheeky I'm sure you could fit a couple decent sized cannons on both sides for some proper intimidation.
That reminds me of:
My 9m Sailboat

It seems to have worked for me without starting a new game! I did go over pretty much every button to check what they did so I probably went over F11 as well. Thanks for the advice :)
Cheers!
Glad to hear it worked. :cheers

Time go release Johan Elting from the spanish yoke and terrorize everybody who doesn't believe in the Dutch Republic!
Sounds like a plan, me hearty!

Back