• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help City capturing

CptIwan

Sailor Apprentice
Once you capture a city for yourself, are there possibilities for upgrading stuff in it or is it just tax changing?

Thnx

Once you capture a city for yourself, are there possibilities for upgrading stuff in it or is it just tax changing?

Thnx

I was wondering about this as well. I have just captured my first town, and kept it as a Pirate town :onya

But I dont know hoe to change stuff in the town i.e. upgrading buildings, the fort and so on.

Is it at all possible?

EDIT: * Conquer colonies, manage them and construct different town buildings and improve their defence *
Its in the description of the game, but cant seem to figure out how to actually do it.. :shrug

Thnx

I was wondering about this as well. I have just captured my first town, and kept it as a Pirate town :onya

But I dont know hoe to change stuff in the town i.e. upgrading buildings, the fort and so on.

Is it at all possible?

EDIT: * Conquer colonies, manage them and construct different town buildings and improve their defence *
Its in the description of the game, but cant seem to figure out how to actually do it.. :shrug

I suppose it's possible once you place officer to be governor but not sure how or what after that.

So does anyone know if collecting taxes is the only thing you can do to city or is there upgrading and if how?

I just captured Willemstad and Cumana but I wasn't able to keep them.
Both places I went to the governor and he said a squadron is on the way and the only thing I could was let him pay me to leave.
How can I keep a town????

I just captured Willemstad and Cumana but I wasn't able to keep them.
Both places I went to the governor and he said a squadron is on the way and the only thing I could was let him pay me to leave.
How can I keep a town????

First any national quest needs to be completed in order for city capture option to be available. Also Wiliamstead can't be captured i belive bcs it's nations capital and any nation capital can't be captured.

Also by the looks of it you can't upgrade city stuff or change tax as i simply can't find option for it :(

I'm pretty sure you can't upgrade captured colonies in the base game. There's a Russian mod being worked on for the Russian version (Link) where they add this functionality, so maybe one day we'll see if we can get this on the English version.

I'm pretty sure you can't upgrade captured colonies in the base game. There's a Russian mod being worked on for the Russian version (Link) where they add this functionality, so maybe one day we'll see if we can get this on the English version.

Well that's dissapointing :(

Thnx for info.

so how do you actually capture a city cause i've attacked every single english colony 5 or 6 times now and every time i do the governor just says that there is a squadron of soldiers on the way......

so how do you actually capture a city cause i've attacked every single english colony 5 or 6 times now and every time i do the governor just says that there is a squadron of soldiers on the way......

From what i have read you need to unlock the ability to capture cities by completing quests for a nation, at some point the option to capture cities will then become availble till then you can only loot cities.

Ok so how do i keep the city now?

I get the message that city is under siege and i got 22 days to defend it. When i arrive there an english squadron awaits outside city and far from forts range, i manage to lure them to the fort and slowly kill them with some entering in city for some repairs of ship. When i killed entire english squadron in the end nothing happened and city was still captured few days later by the english? :(

Dont known if you have a save game to try the following.

It seems to me possible that the invading squadron has disembarked troops on land so have you checked if there were enemy soldiers in the jungle or something?

If you open the chat dialogue box (either on land or at sea), do you have an option to repell troops land?

Do you have also an option to increase the garrison of the fort?

I am far from being able to capture a city so those ideas coming up.

Dont known if you have a save game to try the following.

It seems to me possible that the invading squadron has disembarked troops on land so have you checked if there were enemy soldiers in the jungle or something?

If you open the chat dialogue box (either on land or at sea), do you have an option to repell troops land?

Do you have also an option to increase the garrison of the fort?

I am far from being able to capture a city so those ideas coming up.

Yeah i searched the jungle all around nothing.

There is no option in dialogue box either on land or sea.

Unfortunatly no upgrade options are available :( only tax collecting.

Not sure what's the thing with that, maybe you need to defeat entire squadron in one go without entering city or going on traveling map so it doesnt bug but not sure.

Anyone who had expirience with this?

Under the hypothesis that defense of a city parrallels capture of a city:

-the enemy could have landed troops and infitrated them to the doors of the main city. They dont in your case.

-the enemy can bring down your fort and later land troops to capture the city.

Cities with a fort should be able to repell an offense without your help. So the one go would be an unneeded constraint.

I would check the fort/the governor etc... to see if there is no dialogue box allowing a land battle. This message box is unlikely if the fort is still able to defend the city. No land battle until the fort is worn down enough to disembark troops.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Edit: I've just done a defense mission for England. Antigua was besieged and I was at reach.

When on location, no ships were there. I first went to the tavern to collect rumours. The town was well being besieged. I went to the governor and he offered me to join the fight. Did it. It was a long fight as I had only one corvette. Out of my 200 crew, lost one hundred. Sent to the sea bottom two warships and one frigate. The fort did the rest. Went out of power so I needed to sail back to town, which was also running out of powder. Just got enough to sink the last warship. Loot was not good but received 100,000 from the governor.

This said, you dont have to do it in one string. You can go to the world map and/or use the city as a rear base. So, hopefully, in your case, you only need to trigger the defense mission with the governor. Maybe, you will have to defeat a new squadron.

Oh wow nice, I see Russians are on a roll with Modding now days! :)

Under the hypothesis that defense of a city parrallels capture of a city:

-the enemy could have landed troops and infitrated them to the doors of the main city. They dont in your case.

-the enemy can bring down your fort and later land troops to capture the city.

Cities with a fort should be able to repell an offense without your help. So the one go would be an unneeded constraint.

I would check the fort/the governor etc... to see if there is no dialogue box allowing a land battle. This message box is unlikely if the fort is still able to defend the city. No land battle until the fort is worn down enough to disembark troops.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Edit: I've just done a defense mission for England. Antigua was besieged and I was at reach.

When on location, no ships were there. I first went to the tavern to collect rumours. The town was well being besieged. I went to the governor and he offered me to join the fight. Did it. It was a long fight as I had only one corvette. Out of my 200 crew, lost one hundred. Sent to the sea bottom two warships and one frigate. The fort did the rest. Went out of power so I needed to sail back to town, which was also running out of powder. Just got enough to sink the last warship. Loot was not good but received 100,000 from the governor.

This said, you dont have to do it in one string. You can go to the world map and/or use the city as a rear base. So, hopefully, in your case, you only need to trigger the defense mission with the governor. Maybe, you will have to defeat a new squadron.

I belive this is somewhat different than defence of the city not under your rule.

In this case the governor is apointed by me, it's one of my officers. One of the first things i tried is talking to him about defence, even talking to my guards in the city without luck. The only option you can have from governor is to see how much tax did he collect so far, and to take all the money he collected from him.

When i first got the message that city is besieged and i got 24 days i think to get there i rushed home fast (got a popup screen with flag of nation who's attacking and number of days left). When i arrived a squadron of warships was waiting outside of forts range in perfect line doing nothing. They only engage if you come close to them (in guns range). I docked in city, rearmed, exited city and baited them to the fort, killed few but lost lots of sails, docked again, repaired and did it all over again with remaining ships. Once last ship was destroyed nothing happened. Few days passed i sailed around the island searching for ships but nothing showed, and at 00.00 on the 24th day i got popup again that England has captured my city. After this i reloaded to a date very close to end, went on foot outside fort, tried different stuff even talking to myself but totaly without luck, waited untill 00.00 on the 24th and got the same message again that i lost city. Entered city on foot and there were English soldiers walking around city. Now the funniest thing is i started killing them in the city and after a minute or even less they respawn again :).

The only explanation i can think of is that you need to kill ships in one go without going on sea map or city or else game bugs, but can't prove it as it's extremly hard.

I will test it in my game and post the results afterwards. My game is the complete English campaign and I managed to keep my Commodore title even after capturing an Spanish (enemies to England in my game) colony and keeping it to myself. So I'm going to wait eagerly for the counterattack of the spaniards. =P

If I can't defend...well, I can always take it back to English hands and complete the governor's defense mission.

Well, I defeated the entire squadron from Spain and was able to secure my settlement. I did leave to the World Map and came back, because I was unable to chase 1 ship to off-screen, yep, the map ended in my chase for them! =P

There were 7 ships. When I destroyed the last one, the Log Book updated telling me that I defended my settlement sucessfully.

The Log Book documented this:

"A squadron from Spain has besieged my poor town of Cartagena! I have 13 days to turn back the siege."

"The squadron from Spain is destroyed, and Cartagena is secure once again."

So, I don't know the answer to your specific problems, but it is definetely possible to the defend pirate Settlements, even without the governor's defense mission.

Oh, and about the main question. Man, I couldn't do anything different from receiving taxes...from what I've seen, the only thing you can do in your pirate settlement administration-wise is collect taxes and defend it from enemy forces. Sincerely, I think it's way better to work for a Nation and give them the regions...it's a lot less complicated, but it may spoil the fun a little bit for you. =P

Back