• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

CoaS graphical glitch

jamieboo

HoO Team Member
Music and SFX
Provisional
Hello all
I'm a long time visitor but just now freshly registered.
Anyway, I just got round to trying City of Abandoned Ships, and I seem to have a peculiar graphical floop that I haven't seen mentioned before.
When at sea, either in 3rd or 1st person, the entire bow shock/wave for all ships is visible THROUGH the ship - creating an odd transparency effect.
Anyone else noticed this? My apologies if it is well known and vastly documented.
If anyone can think of anything to sort this out I'd greatly appreciate it.

Also, does anyone know a way to reduce the fog at sea a little bit? It makes everything rather drab and other ships appear a stark grey.
I gather this is a fairly common complaint and read somewhere the suggestion to disable fog in an .ini file somewhere.
I've had a look through the ini file(s) and can't find one that simply enables or disables fog.

I can probably live with the fog if there's no solution, but the 'never occluded bow wave' is pretty annoying - any ideas?

I'm using Windows 7 64bit (surprisingly, considering this OS, I've had no serious problems getting it up and running)
i7 920
Ati 5850
12gb Ram

Thanks a lot folks!

there was a mod which reduce the fog...maybe you'll find it in the mod section. if not the combined mod have it in or the JS...but i'm not shure.

for your graphic problem...i couldn't imagine what happens to you...can you upload a picture please?

Thanks toxic-nova, but the 'white-plumey-bow-shock-visible-through-everything' problem seems to have vanished for now.

But now I'm thinking I might start over now that I have a slightly better grasp of things.
And being in this newly 'pre-start' position, I was wondering if I might as well install that Combined mod... or something.
Which is the best all round mod/patch for CoaS?
I'm not really bothered about something that mainly crams in characters/situations from the PotC films - cos I didn't like 'em.

Yeah, I'm not sure. Is there any reason to stay with the vanilla (- and possibly buggy/broken) game? Or is a nice juicy mod definitely the way forward?

Thanks chaps

the Combined Mod (CM) is a gread mod. i like it very much. the team is working on version 3 of the mod. in this mod is nearly everything you will find in this forum so its the best choice.

the Secrets of Far Seas 2 mod is like a demo mod for now...nice gameplay much things in there which you can compare with the CM and a nice new story. if i'm right the modteam translates the story from russian to english...but for now they are not ready.

i would recommend you the CM. you can play the game without mod...but there are a few bugs in the game which you won't find with the mod. you can still play with standard characters but you can choose more chars than in vanilla. there are much more ships and other helpfull things like you can watch your maps while pressing M, you see for how many days your crew have rum and much more...

Thanks again Toxic.

I think I'll give the Combined Mod a go, but I'll probably actually wait for version 3 which hopefully isn't too far off. In fact, what is the latest ETA for Combined Mod v.3?

Do you know if the Combined Mod includes the CoaS New Mod (forum link below)?

http://forum.piratesahoy.net//coas-new-mod-t15251.html

There seems to be some nice graphic updates coming along with that.

Thanks

in v2 the new mod isn't implented in the CM...but the parrot in the jungle :yoho tells sth about a new mod which should be implented for CM v3. but I can't say about which mod he speaks :shrug

:eek:ops I totally forget the new mod...but you found it by yourself :onya

Back