• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

COAS *in city*- Constant CTD BYPASS The ending and back to sea?

The_Black_Knight

Landlubber
All,

BLUF: IS my only option due to STORM engine crashing to forget this COAS quest reload from a save before COAS to continue my game to complete a GG questline, or is there some way to TURN OFF the physical storm effects via editing, while you are already inside the city (not before you enter)?????
Can I port my saved games to another computer system under a new profile?

This is not a new topic, and I have researched everything in this forum that is available.
I am gettting the famous COAS "in the hurrican storm" crash to desktop every 5-30 seconds when playing the game.
I am using Windows 7, Nvidia GeForce 360M card, among the rest of the song and dance that others have had problems with.
Its not a codec, or sound issue. The game plays flawlessly at all other times. I have COAS Combined Mod 3.1.5, not stock.

Its clear that there is a incompatability between this game, my system, video card, and such matter.
After spending WEEKS playing this game, I finally get to COAS.
I was able to get past the storm (and the crashes) at the beginning by quickly sleeping for two days at the Tavern, and when the weather cleared, the game once again was normal.
I am all the way up to the escape when the hurricane hits again, and the crashes of the game have started all over.
It seems the crashes "build in frequency" the longer the storm is running.
I don't seem to have a problem in storms at sea at all. Only on land (I noticed this on a couple of storm days in port).

I am so disappointed, i cannot finish this quest, as I have really enjoyed this game after over 2 years waiting for time to play.

I have really enjoyed this game, but the constant CTD is beyond irritating. Its unplayable.

I really don't want to do COAS all over again and just want to get on with the game.....

All help appreciated.

All,

I have found a final solution, after beating my head against the wall, as I never give up.
The only way to avoid the permanent CTD is to FURTHER modify the reaction.function.c script file under the program/quests subsection.
In essence, ALL storm functions must be disabled under the "big storm" section. Make sure you back up you file to restore after you leave COAS, so the proper weather effects are provided during other quests.

However, you also have to revert in the game to a save game before you go the Mechanic and tell him that you have acquired all the goods for the ship.
When you exit the San Gabriel, the storm will not be raging, and hence no CTD.
You then can complete the fights with Chad Capper and his henchmen, acquire John Workman as an officer, and try to save the Mechanic.
When you exit the Tantarus, you will of course be "floating" in air because the storm water is non-existent. Walk to the Diffindur, and escape.

NOTE: I restored the reaction.function.c file after moving onwards, reloaded right before the "final swim" to see what the hurricane was really like.
Impressive. It must take a patience of the gods to swim through the waves and get to the Diffindur, even if the game did not start crashing 2 minutes after I started the swim.

Onto FUTURE Quests!

Glad you got it figured out mate, thanks for sharing the info! I am sure this information will come in handy for several people. This is one strange bug, not everyone runs into a problem. I went through both storms just fine without a single crash. :shrug

All,

I have found a final solution, after beating my head against the wall, as I never give up.
The only way to avoid the permanent CTD is to FURTHER modify the reaction.function.c script file under the program/quests subsection.
In essence, ALL storm functions must be disabled under the "big storm" section. Make sure you back up you file to restore after you leave COAS, so the proper weather effects are provided during other quests.

However, you also have to revert in the game to a save game before you go the Mechanic and tell him that you have acquired all the goods for the ship.
When you exit the San Gabriel, the storm will not be raging, and hence no CTD.
You then can complete the fights with Chad Capper and his henchmen, acquire John Workman as an officer, and try to save the Mechanic.
When you exit the Tantarus, you will of course be "floating" in air because the storm water is non-existent. Walk to the Diffindur, and escape.

NOTE: I restored the reaction.function.c file after moving onwards, reloaded right before the "final swim" to see what the hurricane was really like.
Impressive. It must take a patience of the gods to swim through the waves and get to the Diffindur, even if the game did not start crashing 2 minutes after I started the swim.

Onto FUTURE Quests!

I'm having the exact same problem as you,
so could you please post your edited reaction.function.c file?

stuck same spot in the city of lost ships , i try to run around in the storm and it just crashes when im running around on top decks trying to speak to people, its annoying as i want to get off that place and crashing each 10 seconds trying to speak to get all the members for the ship is so sigh

so hopefully the guy with way to disable the storm can give a hand to fix it

I will upload the file in the next couple of days.
I am currently in Afghanistan, so it makes things a bit more challenging...... :gday

I found a way of playing COAS without editing the game if there still is someone interested.

So this is what I did.

0. Install VMware Workstation. (Proprietary) http://www.vmware.com/products/workstation/
There are other virtual machine software but I don't know how good their 3D-graphics support are.
1. Install Windows XP in a virtual machine
2. Install AoP2 COAS in your new virtual windows XP, (and whatever it needs to work... DirectX)
3. Copy saves
4. Play

Yeah 99.9% of you have neither VMware Workstation nor an old Windows XP-cd lying around.
But for those who have, this works.

Back