• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Compiling of the source code

konradk

Privateer
Storm Modder
Storm Modeller
Hello everyone,

Here I'll try to put all required informations about how to compile a source code as well as discuss various issues related with it.
To compile a source code, following should be installed on the user's computer:

1. Source code (that's an "obvious obviousity" - as the former president of my home country would say).
  2. Some version of Visual C++ (preferably VC++ 2008). Free edition of M$ Visual Studio 2008 Express is available here. After clicking on Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition one gets option to select a language for the software, then download an basic installer. This program will download and install all files required to run the IDE - together with a runtime, if that isn't configured yet. There's also option to download Visual Studio 2010 Express here, but I think I personally won't use it for now. M$ requires a free registration after period of using this for a month, and I'm not sure if that won't interfere with my installation of VS 2008. However, after converting projects from 2008 to 2010 version (that process should be automatic, done only once) I hope that the code should compile. I lied that project would compile with M$ VC++ 2008 EE. You know, during vaction period I had to reformat HDD and after that, all of sudden, it turned out that CD with my version of VS is damaged. Since I got it from MSDN AA and, since I don't have access to it anymore, I think I lost it for good. So, I downloaded VC++ 2008 EE and, guess, I couldn't compile our beloved sources, because all EE versions doesn't support MFC. I'm going to search for another solution, and I'll inform you what I find out.
  3. Optionally one can also download DirectX 8 SDK, but I'm attaching required header files and libraries in files I'm sending.

After opening DRIVE_V2.sln in the IDE, all process should go down to selectig Build Solution (F6) or Rebuild Solution from Build menu. All dll files will be put into following folders:

• ENGINE\modules - dlls which are needed to "normally" run the program;
  • ENGINE\modules\render - dlls which are handling the rendering - currently only dx8.dll for DirectX 8.
  • ENGINE\modules\tools - those are used for some kind of debugging/working as tools to aid in developing of the game (PC_controls.dll & InterfaceEditor.dll). I also put telescope.dll here, but that one isn't used by the game at all, although it doesn't look like a tool at all.

Executable files: config.exe, ENGINE.exe, MasterServer.exe and MLeaks.exe will be in ENGINE folder. config.exe is a program to configure CoAS, ENGINE.exe is the main file (in the Playlogic "distribution" it's start.exe), MasterServer.exe is probably for hosting multiplayer (?), MLeaks.exe is I don't know for what (analyzing ENGINE.exe stability???) - two latter I didn't even bother to execute.

After compilation (successful, I hope) it should be possible to execute ENGINE.exe by selecting Start Debugging (F5) or Start without Debugging (Ctrl+F5) from Debug menu in IDE. Of course, to be able to properly run ENGINE.exe, CoAS must be installed.

Best regards.

pirate_kk 

:gday Pirate KK,

Thanks for the D/L link & info :dance .....just need to learn how to code now :whipa
I'm sure I'll get all the help needed here so I'll give it a try,but I'm still quite busy with modelling & animations.

:cheers
damski.

So any further developments here on compiling the files pirate_kk? Is there an updated set of compilable files I need? If so could you kindly wing them my way?

Thanks!!

Cap'n Drow

Last thing I heard, Pirate_KK was working on fixing one last CTD. I'm not sure if he ever managed that though... :?

Back