• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Controls Broken

hawkeye2816

Landlubber
I was poking around in the settings files trying to turn down the fire chance, and when I booted the game back up the controls were beyond messed up at sea.

In sailing mode:
Tab opens the command menu
Enter still controls things in the command menu
The arrow keys jump the view to nearby ships

In map mode:
Right click takes me back to sailing mode, none of the other controls seem to do much

My best guess is that somehow I changed a line I didn't mean to change and activated some sort of debug mode, since the actual controls in the menu are normal and restoring the default controls has no effect. I already tried things like rebooting and rolling back the changes I remembered making in the files.

I don't want to have to reinstall and then lose all my settings, so any advice would be great.

As an aside, that fire chance is bloody brutal. Like, a two-gun volley from bow chasers will set me on fire almost every hit.

Delete the file "options" which you'll find in the top level of the game installation folder. Next time you run the game, it will create a new "options" file with default settings.

Then start the game, go into the Options menu and set controls and anything else the way you want them. Quit the game and make a copy of the "options" file.

Even if you don't try poking around, sometimes "options" gets corrupted, causing various types of weirdness. When that happens, delete it, then make another copy of the copied version and rename that back to "options". That puts the game back to normal but with all your preferences still set.

I did as you suggested, but with no change to the controls situation.

I then tried to restore the original InternalSettings header by copying the stuff out of the Extra Fix Archive and my save is now incompatible. So I may have overlooked that when I first installed. Looks like I'm starting a new save after all.

Back