• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Eleuthera's weird shoreline

Armada

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Project Manager
3D Artist
Storm Modder
There has always been something... different about the shoreline on Eleuthera's port compared to others in the game, and only recently did I notice why; because the water doesn't produce foam where it meets the beach.

This makes the location look pretty ugly, and it's even worse with the Intel fix, as below:
Eleuthera_shoreline1.png
Since this is a starting location in the M&C storyline, it's an obvious issue that many players are going to notice.
Many probably have already, but just didn't think anything of it.

So my question is, does anyone know why there isn't any foam on the water here? And any ideas on how to fix it?

There has always been something... different about the shoreline on Eleuthera's port compared to others in the game, and only recently did I notice why; because the water doesn't produce foam where it meets the beach.

This makes the location look pretty ugly, and it's even worse with the Intel fix, as below:
Eleuthera_shoreline1.png
Since this is a starting location in the M&C storyline, it's an obvious issue that many players are going to notice.
Many probably have already, but just didn't think anything of it.

So my question is, does anyone know why there isn't any foam on the water here? And any ideas on how to fix it?
noticed but did not pay any attention to it :), :popcorn:

Thanks for bringing that up! I never did notice it, but you're absolutely right!

Reason: These locations came from AoP or CoAS, which uses a different system for the foam. The PotC engine is pretty cool though in that it will generate missing foam itself.
But only if the code asks for foam. Turns out there were some lines for that missing in the location init files:
Code:
    locations[n].models.always.town = "Eleuthera";
    locations[n].models.always.town.foam = "1"; // <-- ADDED
    locations[n].models.always.L1 = "Eleuthera_signsA";
    Locations[n].models.always.seabed = "Eleuthera_sb";
    Locations[n].models.always.seabed.foam = "1"; // <-- ADDED
See here; how is that?
Eleuthera Foam.jpg

While I was at it, I checked the other towns as well and Alice Town also didn't have foam. Both have been fixed. :doff

That's great; thanks Pieter! :cheers
I knew I'd heard about the game being able to generate the foam itself, but I couldn't remember how.

I knew I'd heard about the game being able to generate the foam itself, but I couldn't remember how.
It's easy. If the foam isn't there, the game will make it. As long as the game is asked to do it, which most normal locations that use foam do.
But not AoP/CoAS locations by default. :wp

Back