• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

ERAS 2 - Music and Sound Design .. What!?

Fleebusia

Sailor Apprentice
It's possible that I only feel this way after having my soul gradually eroded by the relentless earhole battery that is GOF 1.0, or more accurately vanilla sound. But shortly after entering ERAS I feel like I have ascended into the heavens and carried off by the fluffiest cloud while being comforted by songs from angels themselves. The music is so clear, crisp and vibrant its absolutely delightful- Even better, its actually bloody good stuff .. all of it!

It would also be a crime not to acknowledge how consistent the sound design is. The thunderous cannon shots, booming echoes and crackling trails heard all around. Its only after experiencing such a stark contrast in quality, consistency and variation that I can commit to saying that sound design and music score really do go a long way to improving immersion. I haven't even really done anything in the mod and I'm already having a fantastic time just because of the sound/music.

Magnificent job. Both the sound designers and artists. I've never played a game or mod where the music and sound played such a large part in the experience. If the rest of the mod is half as good I'm in for a real treat!

Unfortunately that's where the brilliance of the mod ends. The mod on a whole is plagued by severe pacing issues. I'm beginning to get the impression this is the Hello-kitty adventure for pirates.

Walk into any generic dungeon > walk out with 1.5 million worth of loot on the 2nd day.

Well great, now I have no reason to do anything because I have all the money I could ever need at lvl 3... I don't know what's worse, that or the fact you can just sit in a town flipping ships for mad profit without any effort.

This mod epitomizes Gen-z player ethics- Minimal effort = maximum reward. Very disappointing.

These values don't appear to be working at all. I did 4 dungeons runs in Tortuga and came out with 10 such items in addition to loads of other highly valuable goods. I'd hate to think what would happen if I had more than 4 Luck.

itm.Monster.rare = 0.001;

I think the most bizarre thing about this is I just wanted to level up my officers a bit but incidentally came out with more riches than I got in GOF 1.0 after several months. One must need a metric tonne of self-imposed restrictions to enjoy a mod like this.

That sounds unintentional.
But perhaps you can help with the balancing?

Would you be willing to talk to the mod creators on their private Discord?

About your comments on the sound and music, @modernknight1 says:
Thank you. Nice to see. Most people over the years didn't seem to like the period and cinematic music I selected. I always countered that it was not for the crowd, but for my own immersion. This is why we made it so that different music packs could be selected - so that people could add their own if they wanted. A few people do sometimes have the same taste and appreciation for period national music and old cinematic music that I do. ERAS has always been for pirate genre historical mavins and enthusiasts - NOT the general gaming public or youth at large. They have plenty of their own choices - such as Assassin's Creed Black Flag.

The selection of cannon sounds was exhaustive and Jeffrey and I added echoing and sound delay at distance as it is in real life. We probably have more different pitched cannon noises for each size of gun than any game ever made. Many of them are from real old fashioned guns I recorded from reenactment firing. I used to participate in the old time cannon competitions at Fort Sill regularly for a few years.

That sounds unintentional.
But perhaps you can help with the balancing?

Would you be willing to talk to the mod creators on their private Discord?

About your comments on the sound and music, @modernknight1 says:
Thanks a lot for relaying that, Pieter. And thanks to MK for acknowledging it. I personally like the selection. Some tracks are a little off or feel overbearing for the gravity of some situations, but overall it sets a very authentic tone for that time period. The sound design in relation to the cannon/gun fire is phenomenal. I can actually hear the attention to detail that went into creating it. The hard work really shows.

Appreciate the mediation and offer Pieter but I don't do Discord. While I understand it works well for content creators, I also think it does the internet a major disservice. All information crammed into an infinite number of disparate parts that is only accessed through live exchanges instead of having it readily available from any browser, any search engine at any time. Simply put I don't want to partake in or support what is essentially an inaccessible burial ground for information.

Regards the mod, I'm not sure my game is even salvageable at this point. It seems every 5 minutes I have to exit out and spend hours finding a solution to more backwards design choices.

PS. I believe the reasoning being the loot table imbalance was that there is hardly any loot chance disparity between low and extremely valuable items- That and assuming I am reading it correctly, someone has set max items far too high for high-end items.

In some instances itm.XXX.max is set to 3 on items worth 150k. I'm not entirely sure how that value works but it might explain why they are so prevalent in the loot table.

I went ahead and rebalanced all the items quite hastily. This for instance is for one item I found multiples of after only 4 dungeons runs:

makeref(itm,Items[n]);
itm.id = "jewelry93";
itm.name = "itmname_jewelry93";
itm.describe = "itmdescr_jewelry93";
itm.model = "pursel";
itm.picIndex = 4;
itm.picTexture = "ITEMS_37";
// itm.shown = false;

itm.price = 18340; //101250;
itm.Weight = 0.9;

itm.skiptrade = false; // you can sell the item
itm.skipsell = false; // you can buy them
itm.skiprand = false;

itm.Solder_o.rare = 0.0001;
itm.Solder_o.min = 1;
itm.Solder_o.max = 1;

itm.Monster.rare = 0.0001;
itm.Monster.min = 1;
itm.Monster.max = 1;

itm.Warrior.rare = 0.0002;
itm.Warrior.min = 1;
itm.Warrior.max = 1;

itm.Citizen_f.rare = 0.0005;
itm.Citizen_f.min = 1;
itm.Citizen_f.max = 1;

itm.minlevel = 1;
itm.rare = 0.0001;
n++;

Appreciate the mediation and offer Pieter but I don't do Discord. While I understand it works well for content creators, I also think it does the internet a major disservice. All information crammed into an infinite number of disparate parts that is only accessed through live exchanges instead of having it readily available from any browser, any search engine at any time. Simply put I don't want to partake in or support what is essentially an inaccessible burial ground for information.
I'm no Discord fan either.
But one has to go where the people are. :facepalm

I'm no Discord fan either.
But one has to go where the people are. :facepalm
It's quite the conundrum but one I've learned to live with and commit to. Out of principle I'll stick with the silence. Sometimes it feels like I'm practicing getting to know myself through talking to myself. At the very least I have information and progress documented which others can query at their leisure.

PS. I believe the reasoning being the loot table imbalance was that there is hardly any loot chance disparity between low and extremely valuable items- That and assuming I am reading it correctly, someone has set max items far too high for high-end items.

In some instances itm.XXX.max is set to 3 on items worth 150k. I'm not entirely sure how that value works but it might explain why they are so prevalent in the loot table.

I went ahead and rebalanced all the items quite hastily. This for instance is for one item I found multiples of after only 4 dungeons runs:

makeref(itm,Items[n]);
itm.id = "jewelry93";
itm.name = "itmname_jewelry93";
itm.describe = "itmdescr_jewelry93";
itm.model = "pursel";
itm.picIndex = 4;
itm.picTexture = "ITEMS_37";
// itm.shown = false;

itm.price = 18340; //101250;
itm.Weight = 0.9;

itm.skiptrade = false; // you can sell the item
itm.skipsell = false; // you can buy them
itm.skiprand = false;

itm.Solder_o.rare = 0.0001;
itm.Solder_o.min = 1;
itm.Solder_o.max = 1;

itm.Monster.rare = 0.0001;
itm.Monster.min = 1;
itm.Monster.max = 1;

itm.Warrior.rare = 0.0002;
itm.Warrior.min = 1;
itm.Warrior.max = 1;

itm.Citizen_f.rare = 0.0005;
itm.Citizen_f.min = 1;
itm.Citizen_f.max = 1;

itm.minlevel = 1;
itm.rare = 0.0001;
n++;

Tested this on a few runs and seems to be working out well. I did 2 runs and only came out with 1 rare item. This would probably cause an imbalance by itself had I not also nerfed the item value as well.

Silly me, I forgot all about Weapons! I need to go through and repeat the process for that. In terms of monetary gain it's actually pretty sensible given the relative value, but there are simply too many high-end weapons given too freely and too frequently which I think also disturbs pacing/progression.

It's quite the conundrum but one I've learned to live with and commit to. Out of principle I'll stick with the silence. Sometimes it feels like I'm practicing getting to know myself through talking to myself. At the very least I have information and progress documented which others can query at their leisure.
The Buccaneer's Reef does also have a forum.
Or at least... it did.
But I don't think it's very active nowadays.

Tested this on a few runs and seems to be working out well. I did 2 runs and only came out with 1 rare item. This would probably cause an imbalance by itself had I not also nerfed the item value as well.

Silly me, I forgot all about Weapons! I need to go through and repeat the process for that. In terms of monetary gain it's actually pretty sensible given the relative value, but there are simply too many high-end weapons given too freely and too frequently which I think also disturbs pacing/progression.
When you're done, perhaps you can post the files here that you modified.
Who knows? Maybe MK would be willing to add it to his upcoming update.
He did say he is planning something a few months perhaps down the line.

MK says:
I had a look at the continuing discussion on PA and see that he doesn't like the easy pickins as far as loot goes. Its not the first time we've heard this criticism but we have to take it with a grain of salt for someone with so few hours of game play. Obviously he's playing on a low difficulty to get those kinds of rewards and also he's lucky because there are a lot of bad treasures with worthless items or items so heavy they aren't worth the effort of taking out. The chances of good loot go down significantly once the difficulty is turned up. For someone like me who is an expert in combat and so enjoys really tough opponents and lots of them, I play on Commodore and Admiral or higher, (the upper spectrum difficulty settings) the amount of opponents you face in groups goes up with the difficulty. If he plays the game long enough to get any good and turns the difficulty up, he is probably never gonna get the really good items with his new numbers. In addition, I also made lots of treasures grand purposely so that if you like to upgrade your ships (and we have a cheat in play that lots of folks don't know about in ERAS where you can upgrade three times for every capability if you leave one of the NOW THREE places where you can get upgrades - and then go to the next before finishing the last. Ship upgrades cost a TON - in addition, if you enjoy running a whole large fleet of capital ships with full crews, the expense becomes immense epecially regular repairs. Eventually if he plays quests he will be forced to acquire a number of large ships in order to win the required battles. So sorry he hates how easy it is - but he is looking at the whole with spectacles of the tunnel vision type. As far as being a Gen Z guy - well all I can say is - this old boomer can only wish I was Gen Z.

Hmm I didn't think Captain difficulty was considered low/easy. I guess it might be for the naval aspect. I had a far easier time at sea respective of difficulty.

It does seem like MK might be conflating pacing with overall difficulty. I think the two should be separated, at least on the level that it effects progression relative to how much effort/time you've put in, which in the context of monetary gain and gear progression is an extremely shallow affair only made possible by the mods insistence to shower the player with end-game riches from the very beginning.

Essentially this equates to anyone not playing on max or near max difficulty to be effectively robbed of anything resembling a steady or consistent flow of progression. That's quite a glaring example of poor balancing in my book. But I'm not going to argue with the guy, he seems happy with it, which is totally fair. I don't really have an interest in it beyond pointing out possible balancing oversights for the betterment of the mod. People can always use addons to correct it.

Though I do still consider it an objectively bad design choice to enable players to max out gear and gold progression before the game has even started. That has always been an immensely unsatisfying and hollow experience for me. Perhaps there are no real solutions to that. I just thought surely there are better alternatives or a middle ground to be found somewhere.

I do find it odd that MK's reasoning and philosophy is not have balanced loot and consistent progression, but rather balance those inversely around difficulty. The expected and most logically sound method would be to have all elements reflect difficulty rating, but here you've scaled down loot balancing to an embarrassingly generous and shallow level to accommodate high difficulty. So it's difficult but not really. It's a likeness to doubling enemies but making them half as strong. I could understand if there was some virtue behind it, but I can't see any. It feels more like stripping weight from difficulty rating and at the same time making a parody out of character progression.

But I think if we're going to factor difficulty into it at all, someone should at least point out that due to how dungeon crawling works mechanically one can always farm with these absurd loot tables and profit massively before enemy scaling becomes an issue. I had noticed that on Captain difficulty, the first few dungeons, which ironically was all that was needed to amass grand riches, were extremely easy as scaling had not really caught up. You could conceivably also farm max difficulty dungeons with relative ease simply by resetting the scaling.

Admittedly, I've been largely uninvolved with anything seascape related, at least not beyond a few basic quests and merchant runs. I've been focusing almost exclusively on exploring the limits and dynamics of dungeon crawling as it relates to gear and gold progression and officer leveling. I have to say though, in light of what MK professes to, that even on Captain, dungeons get quite scary once scaling reaches its peak. Typically both my fighters and I will start getting one-shot about 10 cycles in. I do persist because I'm stubborn and like a challenge, but unfortunately it devolves more into a save-scum simulator at that point. Nothing a scaling reset doesn't fix though.

But I think therein lies the main problem. Dungeons, irrespective of difficulty, are immensely and disproportionately profitable BEFORE they scale beyond parity of the player. As mentioned earlier it only took 4 dungeon runs to amass millions of gold worth of loot on Captain for a relatively noobish player. I can confidently say that no level of difficulty is going to diminish or negate how disruptive that is to pacing/progression.

I do acknowledge the point made about difficulty, I just don't see how that serves to excuse the fact that by virtue of handing out end-game gold and loot to level 1 players on the first day, you've practically destroyed any semblance of pacing and progression. It means from very early on, the player has very little to look forward to or strive towards in terms of those aspects.

Prior to making these observations I was getting excited to start slow and steady making a name for myself as a trader, where the effort/reward ratio felt balanced and gratifying. But then 10 minutes later, after poking my head in the town dungeon, I had made more money than I would have doing trade runs for the next half-year. That for me was such an obnoxious disconnect that I felt an instant rush of disappointment and was even irritated by it. I didn't sell a single jewel before I was in the files tweaking the hell out of it.

Last edited:
I'm glad you're able to tweak the game closer to your liking. :onya

MK says:
Its not a bad idea and I understand the reasoning. He went on to explain himself further which was not necessary but he admitted he had hardly done anything at sea and dungeons are such a small part of the Caribbean privateer/pirate/sailing commander adventure experience. Not ever getting the good items when you play on hard difficulties is really frustrating - especially considering how many really nice weapons I put in the game. The only reason I ever play dungeons early on - is to level my character up fast and get my fighting capabilities improved - NOT for the loot. If I do luck upon a bunch of good loot or get a treasure quest I will either bury it on a remote shore somewhere memorable if I can find a caching chest and spade - OR - I will spread it around to a few banks. Another thing unique to ERAS is if you have the Caul or Caul locket your game is not over most of the time if you lose your ship. We made it just like with the Flying Dutchman quest, that you get washed ashore somewhere and have to start over with no money. So its really nice to have money squirrelled away in different places if you are a long term marathon adventurer like myself. Keep in mind that little has been done to the base mechanics to the game as far as difficulty and rarety. I don't think Jeff has touched anything but some of the items appearing more often because they were never appearing. Better to HAVE than HAVE NOT.

Back