• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Finishing Build 14 Final

As it turns out, there are 2 issues with compatibility. 1 Is minor, but irritating. The other makes it unplayable...
Guess I have to put that windows drive I have back in my computer to record.
The first issue is that the sun is a really big white square. The second.... Is really bad....I can't go to open sea.
Oh well...

As it turns out, there are 2 issues with compatibility.
With Linux, you mean?

Small wonder.

The open-source "Storm X" development team is still working on that.

The first issue is that the sun is a really big white square.
I have that problem in my own game as well for some reason.
Dunno why.

Is anyone else missing their SUN??

EDIT: Ah, yeah, this one's on me. My bad. Compiling a fixed installer now.
Bugger!
I had literally just finished double-uploading the previous one.
That's what you get when the quality control is just THE - ABSOLUTE - WORST! :facepalm

Last edited:
I have that problem in my own game as well for some reason.
Dunno why.

Is anyone else missing their SUN??
With how terrible laptop Nvidia drivers for Linux are, I thought that it was me...
After all... I have an awful experience with Witcher 1 on linux, as the laptop I use is 10 years old, and doesn't get new drivers, which means it has drivers from before Nvidia really cared any about Linux.
Damn.... Could have still used the footage I got before I realized I couldn't go to sea...
Edit: Nope... Just saw the edit.
Now... How do I know when the new installer is ready to download?

Last edited:
With how terrible laptop Nvidia drivers for Linux are, I thought that it was me...
Should've checked system.log .
Turns out, this problem was there already for quite some time.
And indeed I vaguely remember seeing it before.
But thought it was just a fluke or sumtin' and promptly forgot/ignore it.

That's what I get for not actually playing at all.

Nope... Just saw the edit.
Just perform this action manually:
Code:
CopyFiles /SILENT "$INSTDIR\RESOURCE\Textures\WEATHER\SUN\GLOW\sunglow.tga.tx"    "$INSTDIR\RESOURCE\Textures\WEATHER\SUN\GLOW\Widescreen\sunglow.tga.tx"

Now... How do I know when the new installer is ready to download?
Because I'll post here when it is.
For now though, I'm just waiting for the compilation to finish.
Usually takes quite a while; and there's just no ETA to the process at all.

Basically, because this stupid mistake of mine, I need to make my computer work and myself wait for yet another hour.
Just for that ONE LINE.

Dumb.
That's what it is.

And that doesn't even include the double upload time required to put it on both the PA! and Bowengames servers.
Again.

Thankfully KPN upgraded me to fibre-optic cabled internet recently though; so those transfers should be done within half an hour or so.
Half an hour after the compilation process completes, that is.

For now though...
Still waiting. :shrug

That's what I get for not actually playing at all.
I didn't realize it until somewhere near 10 minutes while in the port... When I saw it I thought it was a fluke too. Then I stopped recording to reload the game, and saw it definitely wasn't...
Because I'll post here when it is.
Should've thought about that.... How did I not think of that!
For now though, I'm just waiting for the compilation to finish.
Usually takes quite a while; and there's just no ETA to the process at all.
So long as it is ready for download before tomorrow midday, I could make the video by the next day.
(Hope I am overestimating how much time it takes... Because if that is an underestimation, then I feel bad even thinking about how annoying that would be.)

Righty.... I have made a 10 minute video.
A terrible one, though. I really recommend it not being a showcase, but being just a gameplay video.
Audio syncing issues have Broken my head... That video would have been closer to 20, had I not had those issues. I speed the video part slightly so that it is in sync at the end; then the start messes up a little. I do the opposite; then the end messes up. Thankfully I think the part that I have edited is watchable.
Oh and did I mention it is terrible....
So, what do I do? Feel like it is just too bad, and not easily improvable with what I know how to do.
Actually, forget it... Gonna make something fit for being a showcase.

Last edited:
Righty.... I have made a 10 minute video.
A terrible one, though. I really recommend it not being a showcase, but being just a gameplay video.
Awesome!
It'll be terribly entertaining, I'm sure of it. :woot

Actually, forget it... Gonna make something fit for being a showcase.
That is some next-level divinity on your part right there! :bow

The "FINAL" version didn't turn out to be quite that final after all. Build 14 lives on!

This thread...
Mod Release - Build 14 Gamma Version [Last update: 11th January 2022]
... links to the new installer plus the newest update, and also includes installation instructions.

The update includes a proper widescreen sun - the one in the installer is just a copy of the non-widescreen sun and probably looks stretched horizontally or squashed vertically. It also includes some new ships by @KillPhil as well as a couple of my own. Anyone wanting to fight the Flying Dutchman near the end of "Elizabeth Shaw's Disappearance" (or "Justine LeMoigne's Disappearance" if you're playing "Hoist The Colours") should find it a bit tougher. There are also a few bug-fixes.

Time for another update:
http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/potc/Grey Roger/post_1Jan_updates_280222.zip

Included in this version:
. A new Ship Recognition Guide by @HellSailor containing up to date information on all ship types in the game, including...
. Some more new ships - British and Spanish versions of the 34 gun fluyt of war, and new versions of the medium pinnace and merchant pinnace for nations other than Holland;
. Improved lighting for the cabin of the Flying Dutchman from @meowsandstuff, now an eerie green;
. No more red flowers all over the grass in the jungles;
. A new starting quest for a FreePlay Agent;
. Enemy ships and forts may see through your false flag. The more famous you are, the more likely this is. You're still usually safe, but not always. If you want to play safe, moor at a nearby beach instead...

Finally, another update:
https://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/potc/Grey Roger/post_1Jan_updates_270422.zip

@OxbayTavern2003 has done some much-needed proof-reading and made some corrections to a few books.

@Lonious has been working on some improved starts for FreePlay quests, a few of which are now ready. For one thing, you can now play as Dark Teacher, the chief villain of the "Strange Things Going On in the Caribbean" sidequest. And Will Turner now starts the game as he leaves the employ of blacksmith John Brown and begins a new life at sea.

But don't worry if you prefer to play Will Turner as captain of the uncursed Flying Dutchman. A new version of Will Turner, looking more like he does in "At The World's End", takes over command of the ship. He also briefly meets his father, Bootstrap Bill:
turner_briefing.jpg

Attachments

• fixes.txt
    6.2 KB · Views: 62
Back