• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Free officers

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
When you hire an officer, he asks for money. He does not take it, so the amount of money in your ship's fund is the same as before you hired him. In theory you can hire as many random officers as you like, up to the maximum limit of 36 passengers total, whether from re-visiting the tavern or getting lucky in street encounters.

For Hornblower, this was indeed the case. I have changed this yesterday (still to be uploaded).
Now you won't be able to hire any officers at all until after the main quest, because you aren't in charge of your ship anyway and the navy provides for you.
This opposed to pretending the navy pays for it all by not substracting the money; that always seemed like quite an odd way to handle it. :facepalm

Hornblower isn't the only storyline with this problem, and it dates back to earlier versions. I've a vague memory of someone reporting this before, though I can't remember in which sub-forum, which is why I made the Bug Tracker entry.

Before this behaviour was linked to the "professionalnavy" attribute or the storyline-specific NO_CREW_OR_OFFICERS settings, which is used only for Woodes Rogers and Gold-Bug, if I recall.
And when I changed "professionalnavy" to by for Commissioned officers only, I removed that behaviour altogether.
It is now introduced again for Hornblower, Woodes Rogers and Gold-Bug but only to completely prevent you from paying.
So I don't think this should happen anymore once I upload my latest files.

Anyway, let me change this to "Fix in Progress" then. To be confirmed after the next upload.

Back