• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fix in Progress Gambler stuck in "A girl won in a card game"

smrtwhkd

Master Mariner
I started this quest in Port Royal, Jamaica. After I killed the gambler to free the girl, the gambler would respawn in the hotel room. You cannot talk to him and there will be no gambler in Port Royal tavern after that.
gambler.png

Not sure if necessary to post game files because I didn't notice this until several months (game time) later when I checked back into the hotel. Not sure if the current save and game status files would say anything to this bug.

Confirmed. I managed to trigger the "Girl Won in a Card Game" quest, and by happy coincidence it was the same man in Port Royale, though that isn't important as it will almost certainly happen with any gambler. Tavern inhabitants are able to respawn after they die, otherwise the first tavern brawl would leave the tavern permanently depopulated. They respawn where they died, which normally is their normal sitting positions, but this guy dies in the upstairs room, so that's where he respawns.

It was easy enough for me to add a line to case "kill_man_in_upstairs_for_girl" in "quests_common.c" to remove the gambler permanently. It would be a lot harder to put him back in his seat because there are permanent residents in several taverns, so each one would need a different command to put him into his normal position. The way I see it, you killed him, so he's dead, really dead this time, so of course you won't see him again!

But there are usually two permanent residents in these taverns. There are certainly two in Port Royale tavern. Each time you visit the island, they can either offer to drink with you or offer to gamble with you. So if you've killed one, the other should still be available. If he wants to drink this time, try again next time you visit Port Royale and he might gamble. (There are also two different characters who appear at night.)

This happened to me a couple of days ago as well. I was planning to make a post and suggest storing the starting location of the gambler and moving him there after he's dead and you leave the tavern (since he'll most likely respawn under a different name), if possible, but making him non-respawning is also one way to fix that.

Back