• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Game Preferences block out Perks

OlgierdWinnicz

Landlubber
So I just stumbled upon a problem that I'm sure others have been running into. I basically chose to disable weapon quality, and found out too late that this pretty much permanetly blocks you from several perks, because unlocking them requires doing some kind of fetch-quest for the Gunsmith, and the only way to fix this basically is to change preferences and start a new game completely. I'll gloss over how much that pissed me of and accept the fact I need to start a new game.

My ultimate question is that are there any more surprises like these? Before I start another new game, is there any game preference I'd best set to a specific option so that no more perks are blocked away from me like that? <I'm using the most recent version of the game, with the update. Literally downloaded it last week>

PS: Because of the Coronavirus, my school's been cancelled and I'm pretty much forced to camp in my home for days, but still, I'd preffer NOT to have more reasons to restard the game. Please, PLEASE don't make me start yet another new game.

Edit "PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h" and find this line:
Code:
#define   ALLOW_LOCKED_PERKS               1       // BOOL    - Default = 1, If 1 perks can be locked. If 0 no perks can be locked.
Change the 1 to 0. Now no perks are locked. I'm not sure if this will work in the middle of a game but it's worth trying.

If you start a game with weapon quality disabled, none of the blacksmiths exist in this game. Characters are all defined at the start of a new game. So even if you change the option to enable weapon quality, the blacksmiths still do not exist.

Which storyline are you playing?

Edit "PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h" and find this line:
Code:
#define   ALLOW_LOCKED_PERKS               1       // BOOL    - Default = 1, If 1 perks can be locked. If 0 no perks can be locked.
Change the 1 to 0. Now no perks are locked. I'm not sure if this will work in the middle of a game but it's worth trying.

If you start a game with weapon quality disabled, none of the blacksmiths exist in this game. Characters are all defined at the start of a new game. So even if you change the option to enable weapon quality, the blacksmiths still do not exist.

Which storyline are you playing?
"Sea Hawk" one

Welcome aboard, @OlgierdWinnicz! :cheers

If you don't want to start a new game, don't get a new update.
When a new update comes out you usually need to start over, if you install it that is.

That should be safe enough. There are a couple of storylines which require certain options to be set but "Tales of a Sea Hawk" is not one of them. It's the oldest of the storylines, being essentially the same story that is in the original, unmodified game, and it's still a good story.

That should be safe enough. There are a couple of storylines which require certain options to be set but "Tales of a Sea Hawk" is not one of them. It's the oldest of the storylines, being essentially the same story that is in the original, unmodified game, and it's still a good story.
Well, is there a list or something? If I ever decide to do those storylines, I don't want to re-start them because I had options set differently. Should I keep it on default?

Welcome aboard, @OlgierdWinnicz! :cheers

If you don't want to start a new game, don't get a new update.
When a new update comes out you usually need to start over, if you install it that is.
New updates are announced here:
Mod Release - Build 14 Beta [Last Update:28th February 2020]
If the new update will not work at all with older savegames, there will be a warning to that effect in the announcement. If there is no warning, you should be able to install the update and then continue with your existing game, though you might not get the full benefit of the update.

Well, is there a list or something? If I ever decide to do those storylines, I don't want to re-start them because I had options set differently. Should I keep it on default?
Brothels are off by default but need to be enabled for "Assassin" and "Woodes Rogers". I can't think of any other options which will break a story.

It might also be safest to leave the options for ships' gunpowder and personal ammunition enabled, and certainly don't try changing them in the middle of a game.

We found recently that Woodes Rogers (and The Gold-Bug) require Ammo Mod ON.

Meanwhile, I've realised that "Ardent" requires you to loot at least one body, possibly two, which won't be possible if you choose to disable corpse looting. So I've modified the quest code to check that setting and give you the items you need if you can't loot them.

"Jack Sparrow" also has one scene in a brothel, but if brothels are disabled then the scene takes place somewhere in the town hall.

Meanwhile, I've realised that "Ardent" requires you to loot at least one body, possibly two, which won't be possible if you choose to disable corpse looting. So I've modified the quest code to check that setting and give you the items you need if you can't loot them.

"Jack Sparrow" also has one scene in a brothel, but if brothels are disabled then the scene takes place somewhere in the town hall.
So next time I start a new game, make sure to keep "weapon quality" and "brothels" on. Got it. Thanks

Back