• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Gentlemen of Fortune help!

Villainous

Landlubber
So I'm playing GoF and decided to play as a pirate. I've received some quests to talk to some captains out at sea if I happen to run into them but every time I try to approach a ship they see me as an enemy and want to fight. How am I suppose to tell the Captain that someone is looking for him if I'm always the enemy?

That's part of the challenge of playing as a pirate. Here's a technique....once you have leveled up sufficiently pick the flag perk for each nationality before you would others. Make certain also to pick up items to improve your stealth and to begin with your characters stealth high during your character's optional PIRATE perk selection at the very beginning of the game.

These quests give themselves away on the world map because the ship you need to talk to will have green of orange sails. I recommend changing your flag to something like French or Dutch before the encounter and then going into 1st person tactical view to see what flag the ship is flying.

If its an enemy note which nation's flag it is and sail away until you can get over 750-850 yards away. Then the game will allow you to go back to world view...sail far enough away from the ship so that you don't bring it back up in 1st person tactical view again and then go to 1st person alone --- change your flag to match that ships nationality.

Then go back to world view and sail to the colored sail ship again and this time he won't be your enemy. If your stealth isn't good there is still a good chance he will recognize you as a pirate when you get close.

This is the only way I know of to work these quests as a pirate Mate. Bottom line there is no doing them until you level up enough to get stealth and other nations flags....until then don't agree to take the missions.

Good Luck :pflag

MK

That's part of the challenge of playing as a pirate. Here's a technique....once you have leveled up sufficiently pick the flag perk for each nationality before you would others. Make certain also to pick up items to improve your stealth and to begin with your characters stealth high during your character's optional PIRATE perk selection at the very beginning of the game.

These quests give themselves away on the world map because the ship you need to talk to will have green of orange sails. I recommend changing your flag to something like French or Dutch before the encounter and then going into 1st person tactical view to see what flag the ship is flying.

If its an enemy note which nation's flag it is and sail away until you can get over 750-850 yards away. Then the game will allow you to go back to world view...sail far enough away from the ship so that you don't bring it back up in 1st person tactical view again and then go to 1st person alone --- change your flag to match that ships nationality.

Then go back to world view and sail to the colored sail ship again and this time he won't be your enemy. If your stealth isn't good there is still a good chance he will recognize you as a pirate when you get close.

This is the only way I know of to work these quests as a pirate Mate. Bottom line there is no doing them until you level up enough to get stealth and other nations flags....until then don't agree to take the missions.

Good Luck :pflag

MK

My character is level 32 with over 2 million gold and I have all the national flags. My stealth thanks to my level and books I've collected is very high. I've tried approaching them with multiple flags and even though the icon is the ship rather than the grappling hook it still makes me an enemy as soon as I enter. I've stopped other ships with green sails and was able to enter the encounter and launch a boat to tell him his wife was looking for him without issue. But this one ship, which is french, always turns against me when I encounter it. I've saved before hand and tried every flag and no matter what I'm seen as an enemy as soon as the encounter begins. It's frustrating because the ship keeps appearing. The last ship I stopped was french also and didn't have any issues encountering it. The only thing I can think of is that I did have a french trading license at the time and maybe this makes a difference.

I wish GOF would've had some kind of warning or even just a small explanation saying that playing as a pirate would be so difficult. Without ridiculous amounts of gold to waste it's nearly impossible to get anything done. Lots of trading licenses have to be bought just to do the most simple of tasks/quests. You're constantly forced to return to Bermuda to sell ships you've captured as it's the only pirate settlement with a shipyard. I nearly gave up many times in the beginning. I had to do extensive reading online (and there isn't much to be found) and in the manual to try and figure out how to do anything. You basically spend many hours capturing ships and not straying too far from Bermuda until you have so much gold it's easy to buy licenses but by this time doing the quests give back so little in reward it's not even worth it. I wish I could edit some file and make myself aligned with a country as I have some nice ships and money now but am getting pretty bored with just capturing trade lines and fighting off patrols.

Will a letter of marque allow me to enter cities or does it always have to be the expensive and time limited trade licenses? Is it true that once I finish the Morgan quest line I'll be able to do quests for Governors?

I really like the additions the mod has added and the many bugs it has fixed but now I feel like I should just start over as a regular player rather than pirate because it's just silly to spend hundreds of thousands of gold to complete quests that give you a couple thousand in return. I've built up such a nice character in Black Smoke James but now I'm just frustrated in that I can't get anything accomplished.

Also wanted to point out that I bought a Class 1 warship (don't remember what it was called but was blue and had like 107 cannons) and every time I'd enter an encounter the game would crash. Had to sell it as any battles or even entering ports would let me play for a few seconds (sometimes even a minute) but would always result in the engine failing. Was a damn shame because it was a beautiful ship and could take out just about anything with a single broadside.

I appreciate the work the modders have done and they definitely made the game better. I also appreciate your help and advice. I just wish I had some kind of warning before I invested so much time for what feels like nothing.

Back