• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Goes back to desktop when I start game

Sotha

Landlubber
Every time I start the game it just goes back to the desktop. There's no error message, such as engine.exe stopped working etc.

I tried both before and after installing Build 13 - same problem. I think the problem might be related to just running the first few intro videos, but I can't find any ffdshow codec on the computer.

computer spec:
Windows XP Service Pack 3
Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT
Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.40GHz
Monitor resolution: 1920x1080 (No changes when I try a different resolution)

Also, I've turned on the tracefiles and runtimelog in the .ini, but it doesn't add anything to the main folder.

:gday and welcome!

Perhaps you should try Build 14 Beta 1 (with patch 2), and see if it works. :shrug
Build 14 has MANY improvements over Build 13, you know...

Even if it doesn't work initially, it's better to have the latest version of the Build Mod, so that you can get the most up-to-date technical support for it.

Thanks.

I can only find a patch 1, though.

edit: Hmm, I was right about the videocodec being the problem. I removed the logo videos from the folder, and the game ran just fine. Which means I have to remove all the videos, unless I find a way to make them work. Any ideas?

OK, here's exactly what needs to be done when installing Build 13 Final:

1) Follow the installation procedures in the installer file
2) Let the installer run the RunMe.bat file and follow it's instructions
3) Open PROGRAM\Worldmap\worldmap.c and set MAPSPEED to 1.0

That should be all you need to do to get it to work correctly.

However, if you want to install Patch 2 for B14 Beta 1, you can find the download file here, ensuring you pay attention to the 'Tips' in the 'read more' section of the description. If you follow those instructions exactly, then it should work (hopefully :onya )

It's also worth making a back-up of Build 13 before installing Build 14, or just install to a separate folder- just in case! ;)

Sotha, an easy way to disable your codecs without uninstalling them is to use a program called InstalledCodec. Badly written codecs can play havoc with even the best systems, and some even prevent Windows it's self from functioning properly. It will give you a complete list of every codecs installed on your system and allow you to disable them to try and track down the offending codec. This program is free, and you can download it from this link :

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/installed_codec.html

After you have found the codec that is preventing the game from running, you can easily go back in and re-enable all of your other well behaved codecs. If you can track it down, please post the name of any codecs you were able to find that were causing you problems loading POTC.

Yay. I was able to find the two codecs which needed to be disabled for POTC to run properly: Nero DVD Decoder and Nero Video Decoder. Thanks for the program. I've come across this kind of problem before, so it will also come in handy later I'm sure. :)

Thanks for the info on the codecs mate! :onya

I'm glad it was able to help you track them down, it really is a handy little program! It's a LOT simpler than having to uninstall and reinstall codecs, and if you do need the offending codec again, you can just reactivate it in the menu.

Back