• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved GoF 1.1 - No hull/crew damage to enemy, only sail damage

robinzon

Powder Monkey
GoF version 1.1 (though for some reason the game says 1.0), fresh install, fresh game.Picked up the game again, downloaded GoF 1 and 1.1 and installed them and only then started to play (no other mods).

When in combat with enemy ships the enemy sail damage goes down, but their hulls and crews remain intact no matter how many hits they get, and even critical hits and fire don't do anything. My ships get damaged normally... of course. :mad:

For example, have spent literally the entire real life afternoon and evening (2 ingame days) in a sea battle against an enemy fleet of 4 ships (5 on my side), the only ships I sank I did so by capturing them and then sinking them by assigning no captain (AFAIK none of my ships sank any enemy through regular damage inflicting - could be wrong, which means something went wrong with the game during the battle). I have this vague memory of enemy ships sinking from damage way earlier in the game, but can't confirm it. It's definitely not possible anymore.

Only a ship called Dofin, of the class "Surprise" (maybe it's invincibility is the surprise part :mad:) and some brig remain, I've managed to take out their masts, so their sails bars are completely empty and have spent way too many hours trying to kill their hull and/or crews. No dice. I've spent more than 3000 units of gunpowder (all my ships except for mine have run out of it) and god knows how many shells in this engagement and my ships have lost most of their crews, each has less than 10 sailors left. Definitely not enough to capture the remaining ships that have full complements no matter how much I bombard them from 80m away with grapeshots. Same goes for hull, spent more than 1000 regular balls and bombs on Dofin alone and nothing. If I try to board the two ships I get slaughtered in the first minute since they have full crew and I got only 10 or 15 men.

Highly frustrating not only because of their invincibility, but also because I'm doing this for a quest... a pirate captain approached me with the proposition to destroy this fleet and when I retreat because of invincible enemy it counts as failed and the other captain demands way more money than I have atm.

Upon further investigation it turns out that other enemy ships behave like this as well now, only my ships are vulnerable to damage. To make matters worse, since I leveled up several times during the battle, I'm now (after fleeing the battlefield) meeting only enemy ships of way higher levels than mine - battleships, galleons, ships of line etc. (how do I get the game to spawn average ships?), while I'm still in my Level 6 ship, Shnyava-or-something (22 guns of 12lbs - enough to take out that Dofin if something hadn't gone wrong) so there's no way for me to progress to a better ship (that would be equal to my level) by capturing them as they have far more crew than I do so I get creamed in every encounter and have been forced to avoid any battle.

Please help!

Ahoy robinzon,

Just a few questions for you: What level are you? What kind of ship are you using? Is it above your skill level? What is your crew's skill in gunnery? Do you have a gunner's mate? What is his skill for accuracy and cannons?

Until you get above level 6 or 7 you're not going to do a great deal of damage unless you have a good gunner and skilled crew in gunnery.

The mod options has cannons set to realistic by default. I recommend you go to mod options and change cannons to "in Between" if this is bothering you this badly.

MK

Wow, thanks for such a swift response! :)
I'm level 10, gunnery 38. My ship is class 6, Shnyava. My cannoneers are of rank sea dogs. Tried COAS default and no change in the hull-bar seen after 7 broadsides with bombs from 100m (with current gun status that's 3 or 4 guns per broadside). By now, I have lost most of the broadside guns on my personal ship (of all my ships it's the best armed - 22x12 pounders). But wouldn't the cannons/realistic also make it hard to take down sails? Cause didn't have much difficulty with them that it would seem impossible.

Thanks

Actually, I take it back, it's working now. Didn't see before because I had only 2 guns operational, it took a lot more to bring damage down. Thank you! :)

That "realistic" setting makes me wonder how did any ship even get sunk at all in the past, much less so many. :p

No you are correct Mate. Observation spot on. :onya

Why do you think they came up with Fireships? Fire was the only surefire way (pun intended) to get rid of your enemy. Fleets of a hundred warships would engage one another for a day or two and typically only one or two ships would be sunk.

I have become very fond of "In-Between" when I am below level 10. After that I switch it to realistic.

I really wish we could do fireships! Have you ever used your "brander" option when you get high enough ranking and have a worthless ship to get rid of. Now that's fun - as close to a fire ship as we can get in COAS. Explosions are always good. :boom:

MK

I really wish we could do fireships! Have you ever used your "brander" option when you get high enough ranking and have a
Saw that option, yes, but never chose it because not sure how it works and wanted to use those points for the more pressing stuff. I presume it has to be manned and captained like any other ship until it's turned into a fire ship? What happens to the captain/officer commanding it and the crew, do they die or survive? Wouldn't mind losing the disloyal officers, but I think they'd mutiny before I could even get to turn their ship into a fireball, their loyalty is down to zero (rebellious).
Generally I prefer capturing ships for the stuff I loot during boarding (even up to 10,000 gold plus other nice stuff) even if I do sink them later, but many times the fire-ship option would come in very handy.

In the end it was no wonder it would take so long to take the hull of Surprise down... I had only 2 or 3 guns, 12 pounders, operational on either side and the ship (Surprise, class 4) had almost 10,000 hull at the beginning. Decided to go for the crew instead. When I took it it was completely immobile, one mast still up, but sails to zero, all 42 guns destroyed so (once I followed your directions for the cannon damage) could knock out the crew and take it. Had big problems then leaving the scene, because with all enemies destroyed I got immediately ported back onto the island (lighthouse on Barbados and I'm hostile to English...) to talk to the pirate captain to divide the loot (was funny, the captain was a female, but always referred to as "he" :D) and then when I got back onto the ship at least one of my squadron was close enough to Bridgeport so it was officially in battle (no map sailing) and since my ship (and another I took) were de-sailed I couldn't move anywhere to get out of range. Needed several tries before no enemy ship was close enough to jump into the map and then sail (with two sail-less ships :D) back to friendly port. Took a lot of money to fix and re-gun. Not the most short-term-economic decision, but now I have quite a formidable ship.

Oh, are GoF 1.1 saves compatible with 2.0?

Btw., how to increase loyalty of captains with the reputation "shark", etc.? By attacking merchants or is any ship good for that? My main work is merchant winds (didn't have a good enough ship until now to do any real battles because I always came across either better ships than mine or more of them - this battle where I got the Surprise was a big gamble on my side and I almost crapped my pants when I ported in and saw what I was up against) so they're quite unhappy with me. :D

R

Back