• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help GOF; Nation neutral to my flag fires upon me on sight! Why?

Zimdictive

Landlubber
I'm flying a French flag (legitimately) in a GOF game (latest version, patch). According to the relations matrix, France are presently neutral towards England (an image of set of scales, right?). Yet, when I come into one of their ports, I cannot dock, and their fort fires at me on sight. I cannot afford the trading rights, nor could I fly the English flag because I do not have that ship skill, so that's out of the question. However, I am concerned I am experiencing some serious game-breaking bug that's infected my entire campaign.

The only thing is that I am "hostile" towards England, in my person relations, because I had to kill a lot of guards to deliver a passenger to a tavern inside one of their towns, and I had woefully insufficient stealth skill at that time. But I fixed my relation with them to bribe, and the fort still attacked me on sight.

Please help!

QUOTE: "The only thing is that I am "hostile" towards England, in my person relations, because I had to kill a lot of guards to deliver a passenger to a tavern inside one of their towns."

That would be the reason. France and England are at peace to start with, so if you become hostile to England, France hates you too. Same thing happens with the Spanish if you have good relations with Dutch and then accidentally shoot at one of their ships. Go to a pirate haven and pay off a diplomat or sneak into an English town and go see the governor. Often they will give the option to pay them off to improve relations.

Good Luck!

MK

QUOTE: "The only thing is that I am "hostile" towards England, in my person relations, because I had to kill a lot of guards to deliver a passenger to a tavern inside one of their towns."

That would be the reason. France and England are at peace to start with, so if you become hostile to England, France hates you too. Same thing happens with the Spanish if you have good relations with Dutch and then accidentally shoot at one of their ships. Go to a pirate haven and pay off a diplomat or sneak into an English town and go see the governor. Often they will give the option to pay them off to improve relations.

Good Luck!

MK

England started hostile to France, and France started allied with the Dutch (and still are). England have since become neutral towards France, and France has loved me all along. And as I said in my first message, I tried paying off a diplomat re: my English relations, and it made no difference whatsoever to the ports denying me access and forts shooting at me on sight. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Did you wait 15 days before attempting to dock at a English port? After paying off a Diplomat it takes 15 days for the diplomat to get his lazy butt off his chair and spread some good news about you. Maybe just maybe if you get an French or English letter of marque they will possibly stop that urge to fire at you and let you into their ports. Other than that I don't know what to say.

Did you wait 15 days before attempting to dock at a English port? After paying off a Diplomat it takes 15 days for the diplomat to get his lazy butt off his chair and spread some good news about you. Maybe just maybe if you get an French or English letter of marque they will possibly stop that urge to fire at you and let you into their ports. Other than that I don't know what to say.

Thanks for your reply, but I discovered the problem. I had confused the flag used by the Spanish in GOF with the British flag (that of my own country x.X).

lol its been long since I've played Age Of Pirates 2 and I'll soon need to download the newest mod for it, that I forgot the flags
and almost everything about except a few things. Well good that you discovered the problem.

Back