• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Greetings and offer of (limited) help

Marion van Ghent

HoO Team Member
QC Advisor
Ahoy!

I have, at Bava's prompting, been lurking on this forum for about a month. While at present my resources -- and to a lesser extent, my time -- are quite limited, I still can offer advice, guidance, and moral support; in the future I may be able to contribute ship models, textures, and perhaps even my musical talents.

A bit about me: I'm a lifelong enthusiast of the Age of Sail, starting with the original run of Time-Life's The Seafarers series of books as it was published. While Pirates of the Burning Sea was in development, I began work on a little jacht whose plans were sent to me by the project's then lead artist, which ultimately was accepted as game art and paved the way for dozens of community-submitted ships. I myself contributed six more to the game, including the 44-gun Oliphant Indiaman designed after French and Dutch practice circa 1690. I also managed both the 2D and 3D Steering Committees, which assisted would-be ship, flag, and sail designers in achieving historically inspired contributions to the game.

I also am a musician, playing viola da gamba (treble and bass), recorders, and baroque flute. I even made the same mediaeval fiddle as Post Captain (though need to re-attach its neck, grr).

Sadly I do not think my computer is up to snuff for making ships or testing such in CryEngine, being an aged MacBook Pro -- but I do still have a substantive library of reference materials, and a strong interest in helping Hearts of Oak become a reality.

Right now I am best positioned to offer advice to shipbuilders, general discussion of game mechanics, and possibly 2D art and textures. I am certain there are other areas in which I may be of assistance -- and who knows, perhaps I may find a suitable set of tools to use to get my hands back into the virtual chantier.

I humbly await your reply and suggestions as to how I can help in the creation of Hearts of Oak.

I remain, &c.

Your Humble Servant,

Marion van Ghent

You sound like you would be best suited to a few roles, primarily QC Advisor. I do actually have one project in pparticular for a 2d artist to complete. Do you have any recording equipment for your violas da gamba?

I even made the same mediaeval fiddle as Post Captain (though need to re-attach its neck, grr).

I do too, funnily enough. I'm not happy with the alignment on mine. I was going sailing on Pilgrim for two weeks and I wanted to take it with me, so I literally glued it three hours before I left and did a really rushed job.

You sound like you would be best suited to a few roles, primarily QC Advisor. I do actually have one project in pparticular for a 2d artist to complete. Do you have any recording equipment for your violas da gamba?

Now I'm curious as to the project :) If it involves calligraphy I should be quite well-suited to that.

I do have a friend who has good recording equipment, though he's a ways out of town. At some point I'm sure I could borrow it. A bigger problem at present is both viols could use fresh sets of strings and frets -- which as I'm sure you can appreciate isn't a trivial investment. Luckily the woodwinds don't suffer such problems!

I do too, funnily enough. I'm not happy with the alignment on mine. I was going sailing on Pilgrim for two weeks and I wanted to take it with me, so I literally glued it three hours before I left and did a really rushed job.

In my case it's a matter of the neck not holding up under tension of 5 strings for more than about 5 days :p Perhaps we should exchange notes privately about the fiddles, as I'm quite curious to know if you improved the bridge at all.

I also am a musician, playing viola da gamba (treble and bass), recorders, and baroque flute. I even made the same medieval fiddle as Post Captain (though need to re-attach its neck, grr).

I'm Sorry to hear that mate...:( maybe one day you'll get it fixed.:razz

Anyway, all joking aside. Welcome! Rather a strange coincidence you would find your way to us today. It was I believe the day before yesterday me and Post Captain here hijacked a thread belonging to one of our resident composers with a discussion about the differences between the Viol family and the Violin family. The latter being the one I play(I use this term lightly). Glad to have you with us! even if it is but a limited amount.:pirates

Now I'm curious as to the project :) If it involves calligraphy I should be quite well-suited to that.

Actually, that might be of some help. I'm not sure when, but it calligraphy will definitely be extremely useful at some point.

I do have a friend who has good recording equipment, though he's a ways out of town. At some point I'm sure I could borrow it. A bigger problem at present is both viols could use fresh sets of strings and frets -- which as I'm sure you can appreciate isn't a trivial investment. Luckily the woodwinds don't suffer such problems!

Yep. That's not cheap. I don't even keep a spare set for my fiddle any more. If you ever are able to do a recording of anything, just let me know. I do all the music coordination, etc..

In my case it's a matter of the neck not holding up under tension of 5 strings for more than about 5 days :p Perhaps we should exchange notes privately about the fiddles, as I'm quite curious to know if you improved the bridge at all.

Sounds good, although I did a rudimentary job, my fiddle sounds really good in person, due, I suspect, to several "mistakes" I made in its construction.

Sounds good, although I did a rudimentary job, my fiddle sounds really good in person, due, I suspect, to several "mistakes" I made in its construction.

It sounds good because of the mistakes? How does that work?

Mistakes was in quotes, after all. They contribute to the sound of the instrument, possibly favorably.

EDIT: Seems being called away for dinner changed the context of my reply here dramatically... :8q

Last edited:
I'm Sorry to hear that mate...:( maybe one day you'll get it fixed.:razz

Anyway, all joking aside. Welcome! Rather a strange coincidence you would find your way to us today. It was I believe the day before yesterday me and Post Captain here hijacked a thread belonging to one of our resident composers with a discussion about the differences between the Viol family and the Violin family. The latter being the one I play(I use this term lightly). Glad to have you with us! even if it is but a limited amount.:pirates

Thank you (and all others) for the warm welcomes :)

Indeed, I caught that discussion and was itching to reply. Particularly to Post Captain's comments about clavichord anatomy. At one point I played that and harpsichord, but those days are well past me now.

And indeed I shall advise if I'm in a position to record on viols. Woodwinds, as noted, aren't so much of a problem -- presuming you're working a a=440. I can only do a=415 with the baroque flute as it has a corps de rechange. (Of course my viols are happiest at baroque pitch, particularly the treble which has a wolf smack dab at 440 Hz...)

EDIT: P. S. I do believe you all mean "Madam" instead of "Sir..." ;)

And indeed I shall advise if I'm in a position to record on viols. Woodwinds, as noted, aren't so much of a problem -- presuming you're working a a=440. I can only do a=415 with the baroque flute as it has a corps de rechange. (Of course my viols are happiest at baroque pitch, particularly the treble which has a wolf smack dab at 440 Hz...)

Thanks. Any live instruments are enormously valuable to our efforts right now.

Greetings Marion, I've added you to the QC Advisors group for now, which should allow you to post in the Work in Progress forum. :)
If you do decide to contribute music, models or any other assets, please let me know and I'll give you Provisional status for the relevant group(s).

Moderator note:
May I suggest that any further discussions that are not related to Marion's application be continued in PMs, where necessary.
I don't believe it's fair to her if this thread continues to be used for other purposes.
And it goes without saying that any offensive comments will be deleted.

Back