• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Havana shipyard owner has the wrong face

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
Here's me talking to Jorge Suarez, owner of the Havana shipyard.
havana_shipyard.jpg

His interface icon is that of "33_Affrica". The problem is that his definition in "PROGRAM\Characters\init\DockyardOwners.c" sets him to use model "capstan_A3". And the definition for "capstan_A3" in "PROGRAM\MODELS\initModels.c" is commented out.

Any "model_A3" is actually supposed to be an armoured variant of "model" using gold armour. Likewise, "model_A1" and "model_A2" are "model" using cheap armour and battle armour. So the game can display "capstan_A3" because the model exists and a "_A3" variant can be displayed without needing to be defined in "initModels.c". However, without that definition, the game has no idea which interface pictures to use, and presumably defaults to "33_Affrica" as that's the first model listed in "initModels.c".

The quick'n'dirty fix is to change Jorge Suarez to use the basic "capstan" model and give him gold armour. The proper fix is to re-enable the definitions for "capstan_A1", "capstan_A2" and "capstan_A3", and rename them, along with all their associated files. Because Jorge Suarez isn't the only one with a problem. Anyone who chooses the "capstan" model for FreePlay and who then gets metal armour is going to look wrong because those "_A1", "_A2" and "_A3" versions aren't armoured. "capstan_A1" has a belt across the chest. "capstan_A2" has the belt and adds a waistcoat, but removes his gloves. "capstan_A3" is the same as "capstan_A2" and adds a headband plus fancier boots.

The quick'n'dirty fix is to change Jorge Suarez to use the basic "capstan" model and give him gold armour. The proper fix is to re-enable the definitions for "capstan_A1", "capstan_A2" and "capstan_A3", and rename them, along with all their associated files.
I think, technically, your "quick'n'dirty" fix IS the proper fix. That's the way the system is supposed to work.

Anyone who chooses the "capstan" model for FreePlay and who then gets metal armour is going to look wrong because those "_A1", "_A2" and "_A3" versions aren't armoured. "capstan_A1" has a belt across the chest. "capstan_A2" has the belt and adds a waistcoat, but removes his gloves. "capstan_A3" is the same as "capstan_A2" and adds a headband plus fancier boots.
It was a long time ago and I can't quite remember, but I think we had some discussions about creative uses of armour at the time.
The idea probably was that with each new level of armour, the main character would get a boost in "bad-ass appearance".
So while it's not technically the armour that is being equipped, it does show the intended progression for the character.
If I recall, this was added by someone who used "capstan" as his own personal player model and he liked this aspect for his role-playing.

I could do it that way if the player in question is still around, or if it was he who created the "capstan" model. Otherwise I reckon it makes more sense to rename "capstan_A1", "capstan_A2" and "capstan_A3", and assign them nation "ENGLAND", same as the basic "capstan". You could then buy the different models when you think you're ready, same as you can buy different versions of "blaze". (There's a model whose description is "Matey, yer seen-all, hard face can tell: You FINALLY earned a captains hat,and a decorative earring." If I'm playing "Tales of a Sea Hawk", I buy that one when I have, in fact, earned a captain's hat and decorative earring. :aar)

I could do it that way if the player in question is still around, or if it was he who created the "capstan" model.
Thinking about it now, it was probably @superdurnius...

Otherwise I reckon it makes more sense to rename "capstan_A1", "capstan_A2" and "capstan_A3", and assign them nation "ENGLAND", same as the basic "capstan". You could then buy the different models when you think you're ready, same as you can buy different versions of "blaze".
I wonder what happens if you keep the existing names and only enable the initModels.c lines.
If so, perhaps the "automatic progression through armour items" will remain functional, in ADDITION to those models being available for purchase.
That'd serve both purposes at the same time... :rolleyes:

The two problems with that approach remain the same. What about any other player who chooses to use the "capstan" model, gets a suit of armour, and wonders why he's wearing a leather waistcoat when he should be wearing a metal cuirass? And what if someone actually wants to create proper armoured versions of "capstan"?

If you're really keen to keep "capstan_A3" wearing leather, I'll either go ahead with simply giving Jorge Suarez gold armour and the basic "capstan" model, or even more simply, putting him back to his original "man6".

The two problems with that approach remain the same. What about any other player who chooses to use the "capstan" model, gets a suit of armour, and wonders why he's wearing a leather waistcoat when he should be wearing a metal cuirass? And what if someone actually wants to create proper armoured versions of "capstan"?
If someone wants to make proper armoured versions, I think that's a good excuse to swap it all around and make the current variations "regular" variations.

If you're really keen to keep "capstan_A3" wearing leather, I'll either go ahead with simply giving Jorge Suarez gold armour and the basic "capstan" model, or even more simply, putting him back to his original "man6".
I'll leave the final choice up to you; I just wanted you to know why it is the way it is. Doesn't mean it has to stay that way.
The only preference I do personally have: DON'T use "man6". That model is boooring.

I wonder what happens if you keep the existing names and only enable the initModels.c lines.
If so, perhaps the "automatic progression through armour items" will remain functional, in ADDITION to those models being available for purchase.
That'd serve both purposes at the same time... :rolleyes:
It occurs to me that I'll have to do something like that after all. I can't remove files in my updates, only add new ones or modify existing ones. So I can't replace "capstan_A3" with "capstan3", for example. All I can do is make "capstan3" a copy of "capstan_A3", then change "initModels.c" to change the definition of "capstan_A3" to define "capstan3" instead. The end result is that Jorge Suarez gets "capstan3" and should then have a proper interface picture, the upgraded versions are buyable, and the automatic progression through not-armoured variants continues unless someone puts proper armour onto the texture for "capstan_A3".

True, but the point is, the existing not-armour progression is going to stay even after I've made the alternate versions buyable. All that has to happen for that to continue is for @Mad Jack Wolfe to not remove the "_A1", "_A2" and "_A3" variants.

I'm also duplicating the texture files - they're only 171k each. That way, if someone does put proper armour onto the armoured variants, the new models will keep their appearances.

... make "capstan3" a copy of "capstan_A3", then change "initModels.c" to change the definition of "capstan_A3" to define "capstan3" instead. The end result is that Jorge Suarez gets "capstan3" and should then have a proper interface picture...
Like this:
jorge_suarez.jpg

Back