• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

[HELP] Good Captains

Spectre

Landlubber
I am looking for good captains (i'm usually sailing in a flotilla of 3 ships, so i need at least 2 officers worthy of the titel of captain)
Now: What makes a good captain? Of course 10/100 in everything, but they don't really grow on trees now don't they...

1) Sure, One with more endurance has more lifepoints ...but does that count for something if he's a captain? During boarding operations maby?

2) Does he need high Leadership? Seems like, since he's leading a ship ...or does my leadership count for all ships?

3) I've never really understood the relationship between the P.I.R.A.T.E.S and the skills.
If there are two officers for hire, both have 50 in "accuracy", but one has 3 insight and the other 10 ... does that make a difference?
And if: what difference? Technically speaking they both have an accuracy of 50 wich should be equal.
I mean ... that's like saying: Both drivers finished the lap in 3.28 min, but one was a lot faster...

4) What IS really important? Well, i guess the GTA-skills, driving and shooting ... does he need stabbing also (swordskill)? What makes a good companion?
I've noticed that the "real" companions you can join with in GoF usually come with a P.I.R.A.T.E.S setting way below what you could get from a random officer...

Thank you mates

If you right-click the skills (light weapons, luck, accuracy, cannons and so on) the game will show you a mathematical formula relating skills to the PIRATES figures: Accuracy = I*0.8 + S*0.2, etc.

Now on the Captains.

I don't think companion captains needing personal skills other than Luck. May be Leadership and Stealth can be usefull; I think not but as a security measure I'm giving him books for both; in my game such books are aplenty, so why not?

On the other side, they need every ship skill and every ship perk (but the trade ones) plus the personal skill Lifeboat Rescue.

I doubt very much the fencing/pistols skills having any impact when a companion captain board or is boarded. Not sure, though.

The officers you can hire in the game are vastly overpowered IMO. At rank 20 you are getting rank 30+ officers who are much better than you and your starting men in every department. And someones cheat: there are some with Musket Voley but not God of Death.

Cheers.
buho (A).

Back