• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

[HELP] Officer loyalty / constant pirate spam

Wedge

Landlubber
Yo Ho,

New member with a few questions.

I have been a big fan of good pirate games sense Pirates! Gold on Win 3.1 very similar to Sid Miers Pirates just a little less graphics. I recently found my copy of CoAS and after refreashing myself with the clunky sword fighting system and horridly inacurate carribian map. Any way I found Pirates Ahoy! and the Gentleman of Fortune mod, and I saw a post that I cant find anymore.

1. The post I found was talking about editing a file to decrease the constant spam of pirates ships that chase you around. I now dont know where it was so if anyone can direct me I would appriciate it.

2. I am curious about officer loyalty. I can tell good/bad/neutral officers fine. I just cant figure out how to keep any of them happy. I currently have one of each and playing as mostly a merchant/scavenger style and all 3 are loseing loyalty. Can anyone explain or point me towards a place that describes officer loyalty in detail? The manual says "Virtuous men will grow distant if you commit 'dirty deeds', and vice versa." Does looting a pirate spam ship that attacked you count as dirty, good, or neutral? I know attacking a trade ship or city is dasterdly, and helping the local governer or shop owner is good. Its the finer points I am unsure of. Also does loyalty decay if you havnt really been doing anything but being a merchant and evading all attacks?

Ahoy Mate,

Well I will admit the sword fighting is not the best, but I quite like it. In my mind, Oblivion, Mount and Blade and the Star Wars offerings have much better controls/options, but I think it is better than most other games and once you master the slash and avoidance moves, it is quite fun. You realize that left mouse attacks are faster than right mouse, which I've always thought is funny because in real fence the thrust is always quicker than the cut. I have actually been attempting to find the numbers associated with these moves in the code to attempt a little better timings.

Anyway, as far as loyalty goes, the game is quite finicky and quirky. What I've noticed is that sinking a ship seems to get you bad loyalty points against both bad and good. When you keep them it isn't so bad. Also letting people go instead of capturing them gets you good loyalty points with good or bad. You can tell when you're recruiting your officers what kind of people they are - Swindler vs Hero and such.

Another thing I've noticed consistently gets loyalty points up for "good guy" type officers is rescuing the girls from the rapists in the interiors of islands. Also any church missions (especially the clearing evil undead denizens from caves) gets you good loyalty points. When in taverns if you're nice with people it gains loyalty for good guys if you're mean and try to pick fights, it gets you loyalty on the bad side.

Killing the smugglers in governor missions will make you lose loyalty completely from "bad guy" type officers.

MK

Thank you for the response, though it does bring up new questions.

"letting people go instead of capturing them"? I guess that is a quest type I havnt encountered yet.
"in taverns...if your mean..." as in snide or rude remarks to the drunks too?

Though..."sinking a ship seems to get you bad loyalty points against both bad and good" does solve my issue with them all hating me. I assume by sinking this also includes after you have boarded the ship, sent her crew to Davy Jones, and emptied her hold of anything of value. I guess I am going to have to see what I can do to counter the massive number of ships I sink.

I am beginning to enjoy the combat system, its simple enough to not require massive reaction skills but complex enough that it isnt just some odd rythem game like Pirates!

Make sure you turn on "Surrender on" in mod options if you would like to let some ships go. We turned it off last year in the mod's stock form because we had a bug where all ships surrendered all the time and that's just no fun at all. I think we've managed to fix the bug. I've been playing with surrender on and have still been getting good fights out of the enemy even at higher levels with only the occassional surrender.

I try to capture ships or let them go more than I sink them. That seems to make everyone much happier.

MK

Make sure you turn on "Surrender on" in mod options if you would like to let some ships go. We turned it off last year in the mod's stock form because we had a bug where all ships surrendered all the time and that's just no fun at all. I think we've managed to fix the bug. I've been playing with surrender on and have still been getting good fights out of the enemy even at higher levels with only the occassional surrender.

I try to capture ships or let them go more than I sink them. That seems to make everyone much happier.

MK

I am using 1.1.2 and not seeing an optino for "Surrender On" this is under options > Mod options where it has the realistic weather, damage, weights and so on.

In the vanilla game you could just free your prisoners instead of transfering them to a governor for ransom and all your "good"officers had much better loyality afterwards. except of the quest officers.

My apologies Wedge, I guess it isn't an option in 1.1.2 but is in 1.2. Just wait a little longer and that will be available. ;)

MK

Back