• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

[HELP] plz GOF & 48lbs?

HorrorOfThe7Seas!

Sailor Apprentice
Guys plz im at the crossroad in game i finished fr gov quest just 2 get soleil (since in GOF quest soleil is the first ship i saw carrying 48lbs),,, so im at the part when i finished fr gov questline and im going back to basse terre 4 get soleil 1000 times and no use to board or order allied ship to board.... my question is

Do i keep trying 2 board the unboardable quest ship or will som1 plz tell me there are more ships that can carry or atleast get upgraded to 48lbs.. since my non quest soleil cant upgrade from 42 to 48

plz answer fast i wanna continue playing ._.

sry just saw.... moderknight1s post : Just wanted to briefly point out that we deliberately left those out because of historical authenticity considerations. The existence of the 48 pounder is dubious and the 42 pounder only enjoyed a brief career in the age of sail at the very end of the 18th century when they were only mounted on the lower decks of the largest British naval vessels of the time. They were actually generally converted back to 32 pounders because of their better range, rate of fire and they were much easier to handle. The US Navy also adopted them early in the 19th century, but they were largely used for coastal defense.

The Dutch 36 pounder was the most commonly available large scale naval gun during the later half of the 17th century (COAS time setting).

Easily mounting and upgrading these giant 8,000 pound(1600kg) 15-20 foot/5 meter long behemoths at a 17th century Carribean shipyard during the age of sail would be like a modern yacht captain pulling into the local marina and asking the local maintenance shop to mount 16 inch battleship guns on his boat.

If you're just trying to get the best performance numbers possible (cheat), then good on ya. It's just a game and should be fun. However, we on the mod team have always really tried to bring realism and historical accuracy into the game environment as much as possible. That's the simple reason why we left this out.

Smooth sailing Mates

SO by this in GOF only ship carrying 48lbs cannons is quest soleil that cant be boarded by any means????:((

I'm not entirely sure why you can't put 48's on it since the initships file says

Code:
makeref(refShip,ShipsTypes[SHIP_SOLEILROYAL]);
refShip.Name 				= "SoleilRoyal";
refship.Soundtype 				= "manowar";
refShip.Class			= 1;
refShip.Cannon          			= CANNON_TYPE_CANNON_LBS42;
refShip.MaxCaliber      			= 48;

The max caliber should allow for 48's.

And if what MK says is accurate and we're not using 48's on ships, then there are a few ships in the file above that have a max caliber of 48 which needs to be corrected. Although, in the shipyard it lets you buy 48's, I'm confused :shrug

tnx 4 fast reply officerpuppy u were right Ships_init.c say both soleils can mount 48lbs (quest and non-quest soleil) i was just thinking maybe i found sucky version of soleil that cant even upgrade to 48lbs especilly considering the fact that she can be sold for 200k max only at some shipyards and other mows are atleast 2 times that value..

same goes for the rest of my fleet 1 heavy mow with 100 cannons 42lbs max cant be upgraded at bermuda and other is victory with 106 42lbs max ,

anyway when i saw that 15 of 15 mows i found (realistic ship encounters.. damn mows are rare )) not 1 of 15 could even upgrade to 48lbs i started thinking about 2 options
1 . no ship can carry 48 exept SoleyRU (quest soleil that cant be boarded:( )
2. or part of me was hoping maybe u imported the old UBER MOW from POTC end game im sure u know which one i mean that can carry 48's

so if what u and the ship init say is true is my game broken in anyway since ships_init say all those ships that i captured have 48 max caliber ?

ps. Big hallo for Sordid hendel cpt dow ,maggy luke and other real heros )) love u guys and know if i ever find a chest of gold .. part of it would go to u guys !!

I will play around with this, but don't see how this should be a game breaking issue. I think the only gun platforms left that have 48s left are Forts, Flying Dutchman, and some quest ships. There are some loose ends left behind in the code that we will get to changing, but you can still use what's aboard. With some of the new stuff Jonathon and some of the other team members are adding, bronze and iron should return as in AOP 1 for even better realism. When Luke and I originally talked about the realistic cannon mod toggle we wanted to leave vanilla settings alone, but I think something prevented that (he would be able to tell you) so we opted for the historical authenticity. Luke is working on an even better mod for patch 1.2 with the largest culverine available only 24 pounders as in reality, but damage almost equivalent to a 42 or 48 because of 4X the velocity. They will be much more expensive than they are now.

I think the reason 48s are back again is that Jonathan added them for his work on the new bronze and iron upgrades that is only partially implemented, but he wasn't totally read in on the work that Luke and I did. So you can buy them, but I think the ability to upgrade them in Bermuda is blocked beyond the historical settings we input. We will work on getting this unscrewed for patch 1.2.

Are you saying the cannon issue is preventing you from boarding or crashing something? I don't understand how a caliber number entry would have anything to do with why you can or can't board. I would expect that the issue is something else. This may be the Spanish boarding bug remanifesting itself in another place. Back to looking at the boarding files again.

MK

no no cant say im not happy with my 42's but there are 48's in the shipyard and only ship i cant board in any way is quest soleil that have 48lbs cannons on him ..

There is a way to take the Royale, check out the game tips section, it's somewhere around there. I'm quite sure it's not an easy fight either.

There is a way to take the Royale, check out the game tips section, it's somewhere around there. I'm quite sure it's not an easy fight either.

i checked and this is not my first time playing 4 fr gov . the way i did it in vanila cant be done in gof ... enemy wont board her even in 100 reloads when they are side by side and other tip is to do it just after finishing last quest for fr gov. but i dont get board icon when i try 2 board her with Jolly roger or spanish flag and companions wont board her as well.. (managed in some earlier missions to make her board enemy but if enemy wins they always always sink her even if his ship is on 4% hp and sinking ...

i checked and this is not my first time playing 4 fr gov . the way i did it in vanila cant be done in gof ... enemy wont board her even in 100 reloads when they are side by side and other tip is to do it just after finishing last quest for fr gov. but i dont get board icon when i try 2 board her with Jolly roger or spanish flag and companions wont board her as well..

That's odd. Quests are largely untouched by GoF!, I wonder what it could be.

In CMv3.2.1 ships cannot be generated with more than 36lb. except MoW which are 42lb.
This is set in code for ship generation, parameters in Ships_unit.c are overrided.
I believe in GoF this part of the code is almost the same.

If I recall that quest, those are Spanish MOWs you're trying to take right??? I think it is the Spanish boarding bug rearing it's ugly head again. We think we have it fixed and it just comes back again. :modding

MK

If I recall that quest, those are Spanish MOWs you're trying to take right??? I think it is the Spanish boarding bug rearing it's ugly head again. We think we have it fixed and it just comes back again. :modding

MK

He wants to capture the Soleil Royal, it's a French MoW that you can find by doing the French quest line. I think you have to protect it in one mission and then in another, after you complete it, you can take it for yourself. I'm not savy on the actual specifics though. Personally, I've never made it that far into the quest line so I've never even seen the ship in-game via normal methods.

i would not even bother about capturing quest soleil royal since non-quest one looks much much nicer but cant upgrade to 48lbs.. and ship_init. say both soleils have max 48lbs by default ><

MK is right a lot of work has gone on to improve the culverine and make them more historically correct and that means no more 28 and 32Ibs culverines, but the culverines damage for each calibure has been increased and their weight which means you could find yourself onboard a Sloop which can't mount culverines because they are to heavy and that is good because i very much doubt many small ships would have had the ability to mount them anyway. But the way the culverines have now been coded is more indepth and should make you much happies, the current changes is a beta version, i need to go over them and make sure that everything is correct and works the way its intended to do. If it does then that version will become the release version or a new version will be done and tested. In the end the culverines will be much better but have hight penaulties for mounting them, but at the sametimes have big bonuses as well.

Going back to 48Ibs cannons though, only the quest ships and i believe the none quest Soliel Royal was given the ability to mount 48Ibs, the reasons behind that was to make them more pleasing to use since the Soliel Royal and Ghost Ship are unique it made a lot of sense and for this reason the 48's are still possible to purchase in the shipyards. This can be changed easily if the mod team wish it?

MK is right a lot of work has gone on to improve the culverine and make them more historically correct and that means no more 28 and 32Ibs culverines, but the culverines damage for each calibure has been increased and their weight which means you could find yourself onboard a Sloop which can't mount culverines because they are to heavy and that is good because i very much doubt many small ships would have had the ability to mount them anyway. But the way the culverines have now been coded is more indepth and should make you much happies, the current changes is a beta version, i need to go over them and make sure that everything is correct and works the way its intended to do. If it does then that version will become the release version or a new version will be done and tested. In the end the culverines will be much better but have hight penaulties for mounting them, but at the sametimes have big bonuses as well.

Going back to 48Ibs cannons though, only the quest ships and i believe the none quest Soliel Royal was given the ability to mount 48Ibs, the reasons behind that was to make them more pleasing to use since the Soliel Royal and Ghost Ship are unique it made a lot of sense and for this reason the 48's are still possible to purchase in the shipyards. This can be changed easily if the mod team wish it?

Hi Luke,

I was thinking, can we make the 24lbs culverines actually 32lbs "under the hood" so while they are still labelled 24lbs in the name and description, to reflect the ball size, they only fit on ships that take 32 pound cannons?

Hi Luke,

I was thinking, can we make the 24lbs culverines actually 32lbs "under the hood" so while they are still labelled 24lbs in the name and description, to reflect the ball size, they only fit on ships that take 32 pound cannons?

I'm just thinking how it can be done, i suspect it would require some new code to be added to it because how the game generates what can be mounted on a ship is via the ships_init as we know, the only problem is if you list 32Ibs cannons that means a ship with that set as max calibure can be generated to mount any calibure up to 32Ibs. The other way without adding code for the 24Ibs culverines would be to make them so heavy only large ships can mount them like lineships and above. That can easily be done, it would just require a lot of testing. The down side is that smaller ships that can't mount them in after been purchased or captured could mount them if they had a cargo upgrade done that was efficent enough for them. If adding new code then that would be your department as i wouldn't have a clue where to start.

Hi Luke,

I'm just thinking how it can be done, i suspect it would require some new code to be added to it because how the game generates what can be mounted on a ship is via the ships_init as we know, the only problem is if you list 32Ibs cannons that means a ship with that set as max calibure can be generated to mount any calibure up to 32Ibs. The other way without adding code for the 24Ibs culverines would be to make them so heavy only large ships can mount them like lineships and above. That can easily be done, it would just require a lot of testing. The down side is that smaller ships that can't mount them in after been purchased or captured could mount them if they had a cargo upgrade done that was efficent enough for them. If adding new code then that would be your department as i wouldn't have a clue where to start.

I was thinking in the Cannons_init.c file, doing the following sort of changes:

Here is the init code for the 4 pound culverines:
Code:
makeref(rCannon,Cannon[CANNON_TYPE_CULVERINE_LBS4]);
rCannon.type = CANNON_NAME_CULVERINE;
rCannon.name = "caliber4";
rCannon.picture = "cannons1";
rCannon.Sound = "cannon_fire";
//rCannon.caliber = 4;
rCannon.caliber = 12;  //<--- change here so they are 12 pounders to most of the code

So while they are still called 4 pound culverines, they are actually 12 pounders to the code. There would need to be some editing of various texts and some code so as to make it clear what was going on.

If people think this would be a good plan, I can put it in place.

I agree with it, i will need to configure all the other culverines though so they gradually get better with each calibure. Something like this (cannons on the left and culverines on the right). This shows the difference in damage ratio values, so the 4Ibs culverine would have the same damage values as the 12Ibs cannon and so on for the other culverines.

12 = 4
16 = 8
20 = 12
24 = 16
28 = 20
32 = 24

Back