• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved [HELP] Ship cannons issue {newbie here}

gianflores13

Sailor Apprentice
I've installed the new mod build, and the my ship cannons won't fire even if the enemy is directly broadside. Literally beside me, cannons still wont fire. I have ammo and powder. Help

I have seen that happen occasionally, but I'm not sure why.

Press Tab to switch to "deck camera mode", then aim your camera until you see the "target cursor". Press the [V]-key to fire a manually aimed shot.
Usually what I have seen is that when Auto-Aimed fire doesn't work, manually aimed still does.
And once you did such a manual shot, then Auto-Aimed fire is suddenly OK again.

I cannot guarantee this is your problem and that it will work, but that is what I have experienced myself on occasion and it is worth a shot. :doff

What colour is the gunsight when you do this? If it isn't red then that isn't an enemy ship! (Though when I'm aiming manually, I get best results if I aim for the gunsight to go red so that I'm definitely aiming at an enemy, then raise the aim until it's just turned yellow. Firing when the gunsight is red is liable to put the entire salvo into the sea just short of the enemy.)

What sort of ship are you and what sort of ship is the enemy? If you're in a big, tall ship and the enemy is a small, low ship, you may be unable to hit him because he is literally under your guns - you can't aim low enough.

Tried Pieter's solution last night. Figured it out. The keymap says "spacebar" is command for cannons. Turned out to be the "v" key. Weird but I finally was able to fire my cannons. Thanks!

although there is significant delay time during auto-aim. crew shouts already but takes 3 to 4 seconds for the cannons to fire. But the great part is the cannons fire, I'll take delay time rather than being a sitting duck.

Back