• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Discussion How about more variation in the music tracks for Spanish towns?

Fluen

Freebooter
Right now all the music tracks for Spanish towns in the standard music scheme are taken from the video of the Spanish attack on Speightstown/Oxbay. That means some very dramatic music.

Personally, I find that very exhausting to listen to, when I spend time in any Spanish town. And I would very much encourage to a change of some of those tracks to more pleasant music like the tracks used for French and Portuguese towns.

What do others think?

You might care to try some from this alternative

@DeathDaisy's music files are now available here:
https://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/potc/Grey Roger/Daisys Alt Music.zip

Unlike Mediafire, this won't dump a whole packet of cookies on your PC. If you download the music files into "RESOURCE\Sounds\MUSIC\DaisyMusic", you should then see "Daisy's Alt Music" as one of the choices of music in the "Options" menu.

This file does not include the alias file. The one included in earlier updates is now obsolete. A newer alias file is already included in the current build.

Last edited:
If you add French or Portuguese style tracks to Spanish towns then they'll sound like French or Portuguese towns. ;)

But we could certainly do with a replacement for "Spa_Town3.ogg" because the current one is nearly identical to "Spa_Town.ogg", the difference being that the latter has a bit more of an introduction (*). Put this into "RESOURCE\Sounds\MUSIC". It's from the AoP Supermod and was originally named "36-BF-Townspain.ogg". Though not as dramatic as "Spa_Town2.ogg", it sounds distinctive enough from anything French or Portuguese that you'll not be confused as to whose town you're in.

Meanwhile, I've downloaded @DeathDaisy's music, then re-uploaded the music files here:
https://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/potc/Grey Roger/Daisys Alt Music.zip
Don't download the original files, partly because Mediafire wants to dump a pile of cookies on your PC and partly because you don't want the alias file. It's obsolete and there's a newer alias file already included in the current build.

(*) If you prefer the version without the intro, rename the downloaded file to "Spa_Town.ogg" before copying it into "RESOURCE\Sounds\MUSIC".

Edit: forgot to attach the zipped music file! :oops:

Attachments

• Spa_Town3.zip
    867.8 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
For quite some time I didn't even notice that different nations have different music tracks. :modding An indicator was the portuguese music for me, because I hear it so rarely.

Currently I'm of course mostly exposed to Spanish music, spending a lot of time in Early Explorers. And I can't remember ever hearing Spa_Town4. Both Spa_Town2 and the near identical Spa_Town and Spa_Town3 are heard a lot though.

"Spa_Town4" is probably a remnant of an early attempt to add some of the music from "Hearts of Oak" into the game. That's now done by making "Hearts of Oak" one of the optional music choices. "Spa_Town4" is exactly the same as "Spanish_Gold", which is to be found in "RESOURCE\Sounds\MUSIC\Hearts_of_Oak" and has the music's original name.

Meanwhile, I've just noticed that I forgot to add the zipped music file to my previous post - now corrected.

Back