• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

How do I activate opium smuggling? And is that the way to gain a governor's trust?

Fluen

Freebooter
I want to gain a governor's trust, so I can unlock the last perks.

As I believe, that opium smuggling will lead to that, I've begun smuggling.
First, I did a simple smuggling quest to figure out, how to smuggle in the first place.
The I followed the walkthrough for a couple of smuggling missions for a governor.

But I haven't been able to activate the opium smuggling.
The walkthrough states, that I should either continue smuggling, until I find opium on the body of a dead smuggler, or buy some myself from the opium den.

Because I don't have the patience to wait for one of the dead smugglers to have opium, I bought some in Port Royale. But when I talk to the contact for the smugglers, I get the usual dialogue, which only works with the usual options (banned goods or no banned goods in my cargo).

What do I do wrong? And if there is another way to gain a governor's trust, I'd like to hear about that too.

Opium smuggling is disabled for various reasons, the main one being that it messes up soldiers' behaviour. However, it is not necessary to unlock any perks, and never was. You gain a governor's trust by getting a Letter of Marque and being promoted. Unless you started a career as a naval officer, buying a Letter of Marque makes you a privateer, in which case you unlock "Trustworthy" when you reach rank 5 ("Commander") and "Landing Party" when you reach rank 7 ("Knight"/"Dame").

Ok, I never concerned myself with the promotions. Right now, I have 530 favour points with the English, so I guess, I'm due for a promotion or two.

You better make a notice in the walkthrough about the disabled opium smuggling. I've only worked on that quest to unlock the perks. And I suspect my possesion of opium to be the reason of two crashes during the conquest of Port au Prince (the landing part, so I had already spent at least an hour before that to destroy the fort - may I suggest a chance to save before the landing?).

Back