• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help How does cannons work in GoF 1.2 ?

Symban

Powder Monkey
Hi I want to learn about the mechanics behind cannon firing.

My first question is about difference between culverins and cannons. Is there any difference other than cannons weighting less and pretty much Nlbs culverin being equal to N+4lbs cannon ?? I would expect that cannons would have more close range damage potential, while culverin having longer range, but longer reload times.
Currently it seems like culverin is stronger than cannon in every possible way?

My other question is whether the distance between me and my target has any effect on the damage? (ignore accuracy, imagine both hits land with same accuracy)
If I fire my cannons to a ship right next to me, will the damage be higher than hitting him from 700 yards? (normal physics would require so).
Or regardless of how close the shot is fired damage is only based on cannon/skill ?

Actually speaking, push as much soaked powder into those posh-casting veritable vegetable slingers and top it with a pumpkin. If this ain't impressing the enemy by a far shot then send over your shoal of sawfish for a bit of action out of the ordinary. Any ice-patched cyclop here, this is a try at poking phun in mid blazing, glistening day so bright, ya sort of. B-) Donno 'bout you, for a rush movement i found Wiki always fair enough. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_artillery_in_the_Age_of_Sail Make then some thoughts by testing that new knowledge. Others may yet add what a master of a gunner might achieve once he can be bothered pulling a hook out of the hammock. Hmm, you're probably right in mentioning physics. How many yards?-) that's world wreckitch, HMS Einstein heavily damaged. Now tack through the wind what tells the butterflies to creep under the opponent's fort to place an acid stone crusher there, plus some bric à brackin bricks for your new head-quarter later. Tell bar peoples about the age of bronze medals. ... the cannonier just thumped unto the casks of iron in a cloud of thick wafting fun power. Wooot, you hit the shards with a fresh hair-stylee from out Barbaria? luwwits. Methinks one better chains the balls so they wouldn't drop on a mad chic hat, sayling loik. Ahh, sunset, that's even more mesmerizing. A round of Owl-Light on a reef.. er, water punch de la chapeau claque svp.

coming back to your question and reading some of the article, how can I tell. Why don't they prop the firepower fast on deck for lesser recoils and such, once those have rolled over the bulwark feet? next chance meeting advice the drunken fleet to hand over their boats or you propel a nifty little submarine unheard-of with enough breathing space towards every one of'em and attach a smoldering grenade under the fireworks storage. Someone can crawl with a strawhat of reet? bring us some stuff what's the cabinboy shaking out of the bugs. Betelgeuse, the upper left soup-star of Orion is swaggering tapping along Country and Western lullabies Eight Days A' Weak. Ooh wowzy, it's become night. This means regaling in rain-storming frogs from Hawaij off course. :po_O:razz:rofl

Windem Whistler? let's all hang out at the seam park of your Bounty, Bar & Moose. ..Friday oh my mind :wp

A ritual jar on da house martins. :cheeky

He must have tons of time on his hands. There's no doubt about that. If disruption is his intention then he is mildly successful. However, if actual communication, information transfer, or message understanding is his goal - while clearly clever and intelligent - he may as well be talking to the padded walls of his cell. If acknowledgement is his goal, he has succeeded. However his multiple avatar's motives are not known. Is he a patriot of the people wearing a Guy Fawkes mask or is he just a spying blue meanie wearing the same???

As for the actual question of this thread, cannon physics and behaviors have been discussed ad infinitum in the past. Please read this old link to get an idea of our discussions. This is not the only thread where we had these types of in depth discussions on the subject. A little searching will reveal the others. http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/realistic-cannon-fix-mod.15030/

MK

Thank MK, I already went through that thread and it inspired me to change Program/CANNONS/cannons_init.c to modify things.

I prepared a spreadsheet for the Damage per 60secs for each cannon and culverine; then saw that there were great inconsitencies between jumps from one caliber to next. And cannons were extremely weak vs same caliber culverins.

I made several changes which are formulated on all below;

1. I changed early caliber jumps to have %20 more DPS, and above 20lbs %10more DPS per caliber jump. Based on Culverin 4lbs having 0.9 realistic damage.

2. Then I wanted to change the way cannons/culverin differenciated in game, as currently I have no reason to choose a cannon of same caliber over a culverine even as a merchant (I simply remove all cannons, put culverins in back with low amount of knipples and powder as merchant). So I reassigned role of culverine as long range, cannon as (significantly) short range but better impact.

I placed a formula like culverin range = 150% cannon range (kept culverin range as base, lowered cannons). Also gave range boosts for the ones in between (like 8lbs 420, instead of 400 now which is between 4lbs 400/12lbs 450)

3. I reassigned reload times for cannons to have 95% of culverins of same caliber. Then I assigned new damage formula for cannons to have 25% more DPS than same caliber culverin.

4. All CoaS default damages then set to 150% of realistic damage. (so rates will work with realistic/CoaS/inbetween same)

5. Then I fixed one thing that annoyed me alot, cannonHP. Since in Realistic mode damage dealt is lower, in most fights at the range of 4th/3rd grade ship fleets no ships sink, some are boarded, all sails are damaged beyond repair rendering ships to move with 0.2-0.6 knots , and all guns fallen. I would prefer guns stayed as they are, and ships fought till end, ones that can flee would flee, ones that prefer to stay should go on fighting with ability to fire cannons.
I increased gun HPs by 50%, and depending on the results I might increase even more until no fights end due to ships are running out of guns before ammo. Once I reach the equalibrum for ammo/gun ran out (based on military fleets and bounty hunter fleets who are packed with tons of ammo), then I will adjust damages again to make sure by this time a ship can bring an enemy of same scale below 40-50% hull damage on 1 on 1. This will make fleet battles more interesting I guess, by giving importance to who is in the frontlines, and who you will try to focus.

6. Of course increased cannon weights/costs to be 90% of culverins of same caliber.

Real issue I could not evaluate is the effect of distance in damage formula. If point blank shot has better impact than a shot lands at 500yards, then the damage boost I gave to cannons might be overkill, as their shorter range will make them even more deadlier and once a cannon gets in range it would extremely overwhelm a culverin ship.

I don't want to make cannons better than culverins, just I want to make them a different option with its own pros/cons. Can you direct me how I can test out damage in dealt in different distances? Or is there part of code that reveals the formula?

Now I have been playing this out and is going very nice around 4th grade ships. Will see how it goes with 1-3rd grade ship fleets. Don't want ships to be sunk in a few volleys under crossfire, but want to make sure it hurts.

Before above changes I would never choose cannons over culverin and a stronger but slower ship over a fast one. But now I can choose for myself and companions from;
-Slow but strong hull ship with culverins
-Fast ship with cannons who will riskbeing under fire, getting sails/hull damaged until it can get in range to impact and get out before getting caught in crossfire (probably can only by managed as own ship)
-Fast Ship with culverin who will fire from far and ran away before enemy gets close keeping distance to advantage.

I am playing with tactical so things happen slowly, ships manuever in long time. Boarding is very risky and potentially dangerous as getting close hurts me a lot as well. Grappling skill was not that important before as I did not fear bank shot in point blank at all, but now I cant stand to take more than 2 bank shots otherwise my crew/hull feels the impact. Please add any comments for gameplay as well if I skipped anything, so I might add these into calues as well making the experience even better. I will share the cannons_init.c I will finalise, as it does not require to restart a new game to apply, so other can test out as well.

He must have tons of time on his hands. There's no doubt about that. If disruption is his intention then he is mildly successful. However, if actual communication, information transfer, or message understanding is his goal - while clearly clever and intelligent - he may as well be talking to the padded walls of his cell. If acknowledgement is his goal, he has succeeded. However his multiple avatar's motives are not known. Is he a patriot of the people wearing a Guy Fawkes mask or is he just a spying blue meanie wearing the same???

I'm glad someone finally said that... especially with such elegance.

Back