• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

How to get to Fort Orange?

Fleebusia

Sailor Apprentice
Finally decided to try one of these merchant quests but I didn't realize until just now that the target for delivery is on a hostile island doh!

On a map I bought it says Fort Orange is on the tip of Jamaica, but I can't find the thing. I've been cruising up and down the coast but only see rocks and cliff faces. Only managed to find one shore all the way down south of the island. Do I need to trek all the way through the jungle to reach it?

I actually tried just before but got hold up by english guards who said something about Fort Royal, so I'm not sure that is the right way.

Whew, I finally found it! Turns out that a giant rock cliff face with no discernible features at all is the shoreline to the Fort.. Looks absolutely identical to every other rock formation on the island. Only found it by chance after hugging the entire island perimeter for a very long time.

They should change the name to "Hidden better than ancient Aztec ruins Fort" - Good lord, what a mongrel of a place to find.

I tell you what though- they don't leave a lot of margin for error for those merchant quests do they?

I went straight from Havana with a quick pitstop to Belize and got there only by the skin of my teeth. I didn't realize just how fast the timescale is on the world map. Wow!

The unfortunate thing is I only got paid 3k for the trade run but now I have to pay 10k upkeep for the time it took getting there lol.

Whew, I finally found it! Turns out that a giant rock cliff face with no discernible features at all is the shoreline to the Fort.. Looks absolutely identical to every other rock formation on the island. Only found it by chance after hugging the entire island perimeter for a very long time.

They should change the name to "Hidden better than ancient Aztec ruins Fort" - Good lord, what a mongrel of a place to find.
@Mirsaneli: Do you know if anything was done about that in ERAS?
It sounds quite annoying.
(If very funnily explained by Fleebusia... :rofl )

@Mirsaneli: Do you know if anything was done about that in ERAS?
It sounds quite annoying.
(If very funnily explained by Fleebusia... :rofl )

I've noticed several other strange locational syncing issues like this. Unsure if its part of the base game or GOF, but there are other ports that aren't properly synced to world map geography. An issue I'm guessing is long forgotten in these older versions.

Possibly more bizarre is that you can sail through islands in real time. That I believe is due to some sort of engine limitation relating to how many active grids the game can load. The engine seems incapable of maintaining a contiguous sync between seascape and world map. The two become heavily fragmented/disconnected given any moderate distance travelled in real-time.

That might be yet another reason to go play on the Maelstrom engine.

Possibly more bizarre is that you can sail through islands in real time. That I believe is due to some sort of engine limitation relating to how many active grids the game can load. The engine seems incapable of maintaining a contiguous sync between seascape and world map. The two become heavily fragmented/disconnected given any moderate distance travelled in real-time.
Maelstrom has DirectSail functionality nowadays too, allowing you to sail in 3D Sailing Mode between islands properly.
I didn't test it myself, but that's what they tell me.

Maelstrom has DirectSail functionality nowadays too, allowing you to sail in 3D Sailing Mode between islands properly.
I didn't test it myself, but that's what they tell me.

Oh joy! Well that it then. I need to get Maelstrom now! Appreciate the heads-up.

It seems this issue still exists even in the latest version of ERAS. Just now I've discovered landmarks that are so far off that they sit in the ocean lol. Fort Orange has the same exact invisible shoreline as GOF 1.0. I guess people want to keep that place hidden.

Back