• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved How to view character models with textures

No, but you can use Animation View for most models:
http://www.piratesahoy.net/cloud/repository/Tools/Modeling+Texturing/Animation View.7z

That only works for simple character models with only one part, which is most of them. Some models have separate parts for the upper and lower body, or for the head, and Animation View doesn't work with those. TOOL will view any model:
http://www.piratesahoy.net/cloud/repository/Tools/Modeling+Texturing/Inez Dias Tool.rar

But TOOL uses .tga texture files, not the .tga.tx files used by the game. You can use TX Convertor to convert .tga.tx to .tga - which you'll need to do anyway if you want to create your own textures.
http://www.piratesahoy.net/cloud/repository/Tools/Modeling+Texturing/TX Convertor.zip[/u]

GM Viewer may not show the model in full colour but it does tell you which texture files the model is using. So, if Animation View makes a mess of the model, use GM Viewer to find out which textures to convert with TX Convertor, then use TOOL to view the model.

The stupid thing is that this used to work on older Windows versions.
But something unknown got changed that affected character models only.
It's quite weird, really...

The stupid thing is that this used to work on older Windows versions.
But something unknown got changed that affected character models only.
It's quite weird, really...

So if i had Windows XP it wold work but on Windows 7 for example it doesn't?
That's indeed weird. :confused:

So if i had Windows XP it wold work but on Windows 7 for example it doesn't?
That's indeed weird. :confused:
Something like that, yes.
I think it's to do with a Windows Update at some point.
At least there are still workarounds available...

Have you tried running the GM Viewer in Windows XP compatibility mode (and with admin permissions)? If it doesn't work properly on newer versions of Windows, just a potential workaround.

I suspect, though, that it has to do with the 3D graphics rendering API, especially if the program is using DirectX to render. I know I've had at least one older game that lost all its textures and rendered everything in white after a "recommended" Windows "security" update in Windows 8.1 was installed. I've had to undo the installation and stop Windows from automatically updating for that point on to keep the game running normally.

If you have a Windows XP install disc at hand, you could chuck everything related to Sea Dogs modding into a sandboxed VirtualBox virtual drive. I tend to do that with my modding tools for different games, as it means that I can take the whole setup with me to any computer platform (VirtualBox is an established, reliable, cross-platform emulator), my actual working -- or, rather, gaming -- Windows setup is kept safe from malware/clutter, and it ensures the modding tools and setup will work forever as originally set up (no Windows updates necessary in the sandboxed environment).

The downside is a bit slower performance (not much with Windows XP on modern hardware), more disk space used (around 10 GB for a box), more initial tinkering to set up, and perhaps some potential driver issues/quirks (because of the emulated nature of the environment). But when it works, it really works, preserved -- the same way forever!

Just giving you ideas. ;)

Last edited:
Confirmed, DGvoodoo does fix the issue.

upload_2020-9-12_9-21-44.png

Though if you have an AMD GPU you won't be able to see locator labels.
On Nvidia though they work correctly.

upload_2020-9-12_9-21-57.png

Back