• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Is it possible to replace the stock music?

Horthal

Landlubber
So I was listening to some Pirates of the Caribbean orchestra performance and it made me wonder, can you replace the stock music to your own? In a way of downloading a song, renaming it to what you want to replace and overwrite the stock file. I'd try it myself but I don't want to break my game if it doesn't work.

Yes, it should be fairly easy if you just want to replace existing music. Music files are in "RESOURCE\Sounds\MUSIC" and are in .ogg format. You can convert .mp3 to .ogg using VLC.

To see which files are used for what purpose, look in "PROGRAM\sound\ALIAS\music_standard.c". You don't need to edit that unless you want to add new music, just look for lines like:
Code:
   tmpref.music_day_sailing.f1.name = "MUSIC\Spokplavanie.ogg";
   tmpref.music_day_sailing.f2.name = "MUSIC\Sailing01.ogg";
   tmpref.music_day_sailing.f3.name = "MUSIC\Sailing02.ogg";
   tmpref.music_day_sailing.f4.name = "MUSIC\Sailing03.ogg";                   // PB: Cutthroat Island

tmpref.music_night_sailing.f1.name = "MUSIC\Sailing_Night.ogg";                   // MAXIMUS: AoP
   tmpref.music_night_sailing.f2.name = "MUSIC\Sailing_Night2.ogg";               // PB: Sea Dogs
   tmpref.music_night_sailing.f3.name = "MUSIC\Sailing_Night3.ogg";               // PB: Sea Dogs

tmpref.music_fog_sailing.f1.name = "MUSIC\Sailing_Fog.ogg";                       // PB: Sea Dogs
   tmpref.music_fog_sailing.f2.name = "MUSIC\Sailing_Sunrise.ogg";                   // PB: Sea Dogs
   tmpref.music_fog_sailing.f3.name = "MUSIC\Sailing_Storm.ogg";                   // PB: Sea Dogs
Those control the music which will play if you're sailing during day, during night, or when it's foggy. So, if you'd prefer one of your own tracks to play when you're sailing around during the day, replace any of "Spokplavanie.ogg", "Sailing01.ogg", "Sailing02.ogg" or "Sailing03.ogg".

If you're planning simply to replace existing files with your own, first copy the folder "RESOURCE\Sounds\MUSIC" (or at least, those files you're going to replace) to somewhere else. If you want to edit "music_standard.c" to add new tracks, copy the original of that to somewhere safe as well. Then, if it all goes horribly wrong, you can simply copy the files back.

So I was listening to some Pirates of the Caribbean orchestra performance and it made me wonder, can you replace the stock music to your own? In a way of downloading a song, renaming it to what you want to replace and overwrite the stock file. I'd try it myself but I don't want to break my game if it doesn't work.
Maybe you'd be interested in this too: PotC Movie Music Pack! addon - Pirates of the Caribbean: New Horizons mod for Pirates of the Caribbean
Might save you a lot of work. ;)

Note that this file is slightly outdated and may not be 100% compatible with the latest mod anymore.
But still, probably the only difference is that some of the extra tracks added by @Jack Rackham and @Grey Roger are undefined.

Back