• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Is there a way to have the OG PotC 2003 AND The New Horizons mod? And other questions

ImmortalityDenied

Landlubber
Would I just need to make a copy of the whole pirates folder and only install New Horizons in one? Or is this not possible?

Sorry for the edit but while I have you...

Does the immortality cheat in NH include the ship being damage immune?

In the original game (not NH), any way to make movement and sailing faster?

Thanks all. Really happy I found this site, I've been missing this game almost 20 years

Last edited:
Would I just need to make a copy of the whole pirates folder and only install New Horizons in one? Or is this not possible?
Yes, you can do that, and in fact that is exactly what I have done. I don't play the unmodded game, the only purpose for that folder on my PC is to be copied to another folder as the starting point for a new installation of "New Horizons".

You can have as many installations as will fit onto your drive. And you can play any of them. So you can have the stock game completely unchanged, stock game plus some mods of your own, "New Horizons" from the installer, "New Horizons" from the installer plus full updates, "New Horizons" plus some mods of your own, and any other variants you can think of.

It's immune to hull damage, though I'm not sure if it's immune to having masts knocked down, or to fire damage. Try it - make yourself immortal, then sail in front of a fort and see what happens, then go and find a storm on the worldmap and sail into the middle of it.

No, I don't think the original game has time acceleration like NH.

What you suggest should work just fine. :onya

Hull and crew turns immortal.
But I couldn't figure out how to include rigging too, so you can still be demasted and such.

If I recall, the original game had a 3x time compression option already.
Was it assigned to the R-key there too? I can't rightly remember now...

Thanks all. Really happy I found this site, I've been missing this game almost 20 years
You're very welcome.
Cheers! :cheers

Thank you both. So:
Definitely have both games running separately now.
Hull is invincible, but masts and such are not in New Horizons. However, I think in the main game the ship might be fully invincible with the immortality edit.

Thanks to these forums I found a way to remap time acceleration in the base game to R for the ship: Solved - cant speed up ship time in Stock POTC?

Now where I am stuck is movement of my character. I found this old thread:

But I am not sure where exactly I need to edit this:
"it's actually tunable from the files, but in the .ani files in RESOURCE\animation, so not where one'd think to look first. check out "walk speed" under the different headings xD I have walk at ~2 and run at 5.5, feel it's a fast enough to not be frustrating, but not so fast to make it look weird with the animations"

I am in \animation, but not sure which files to look under?

I also tried a mod from here:

But it doesn't seem to have worked. Is an FPS locker just a better way to do this?

All of these are for the base game though, please feel free to move it if this is a bad subforum for it.

Edit: Just to clarify, I am mostly only interested in my own movement speed

@ImmortalityDenied
You can change the movement speed in the RESOURCE/animation files.
The .ani file is the one to change.

For ex I have changed the run speed from 3.3 m/sec in "man.ani" to 6.6 m/s in "fast_man.ani".
So make your changes. Rename the file(s).

And last to give your character another speed add/change a line in the character init file with
ch.model.animation = "fast_man"; (in my case)

Back