• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Jane Goodall's Advice

Cerez

Baroness of the High Seas
Storm Modder
@Pieter Boelen, I just heard Jane Goodall talk in an interview on the local radio today, and she kept stressing how thinking about the world at large is actually the wrong approach. In this day and age it completely overwhelms us and makes us feel powerless. How we need to start thinking and doing locally, within our immediate lives and environment instead. From small actions come big changes. And in our immediate lives and environment we have the power to make a difference -- which then eventually leads to worldwide changes on the large scale, as more and more people start to chip in.

I found it rather a wise perspective.

Jane Goodall says global disregard for nature brought on coronavirus pandemic

Edit:

She also seems to echo my view that the recent coronavirus outbreak is thanks to human society's ignorant actions -- that we caused it with our imbalanced actions, namely heavy deforestation and social crowding:
Dr Goodall said the loss of animal habitats and intensive farming are part of the problem, making it easier for viruses to spread from one animal to another and then to humans.

"...one of the problems is that as more and more forests have disappeared, so animals themselves have come in closer contact with each other.

Most of these viruses that jumped to us have come through an intermediary. So there's a reservoir host like a bat and in [the case of COVID-19] it's thought to have jumped into a pangolin and then into us."

Last edited:
@Pieter Boelen, I just heard Jane Goodall talk in an interview on the local radio today, and she kept stressing how thinking about the world at large is actually the wrong approach. In this day and age it completely overwhelms us and makes us feel powerless.
Losing sight of the big picture isn't the answer either though.
I believe we'd have to work from both sides really...

She also seems to echo my view that the recent coronavirus outbreak is thanks to human society's ignorant actions -- that we caused it with our imbalanced actions, namely heavy deforestation and social crowding:
Could very well be.
The world has certainly gotten "smaller".
And logically that has to increase these kinds of risks.

Back