• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Keys CoAS and rifles of snipers

giocoso

Freebooter
I have two small questions (... not serious problems ...)
1st: I played with Blood, from the beginning, without doing anything else after parking the Cinco Liagas (aka Arabella) and a sloop in Martinique, with Pitt and Ogle. So I quickly did the Beggars Quest and the City of Abandoned Ships, ending up with a great Dog of War in Tortuga, at level 9. Now I keep this Save as a starting point for my games, to be played in any direction I want.
The small annoyance is that the keys of the CoAS quest (3 + 1 + 2) remain in my inventory, which do not weigh but annoy me, and I cannot eliminate them neither by depositing them nor by selling them. Is there a way to make them disappear?
2nd: In capturing sufficiently advanced ships, I happen to loot the bodies of enemy "snipers" and get their rifles. However I can't use them, neither with the "fighters" nor with other characters. Is there a solution to this problem?
Thank you!!

hi, should be relatively simple, to just edit the keys from your inventory, if you look I suppose on Items.c and search for Quest items, locate them , then edit your inventory (that I don't remember now which one is)
Now, about the "Snipers" they have some muskets, and while yes, you are being able to get their old rifles, you will never be able to wield them (unless you evidently mod the game), because in vanilla there is only one character able to shoot it, a british retired dude that you can "aquaire" within a quest and make him your companion/fighter. Then he will shoot that "sniper" (with a more or less precision, he often shoots me in the back :D)

What I wanted to be clear to you, is that if you decide play the vanilla (original) version of the game, be it the old copy, or the GOG version, you should expect some serious, ground-breaking bugs! At least be warned before going deeper into game and cry later... those bugs (among many others that can RUIN your one time only quest are):
- Loyalty of you officers with ALWAYS and constantly DROP, until thet reach 0 and are prone to mutiny, or to leave you (and any other ships they may currently sail, even if you just try to sell it!)
- Damage to your ships sails! No matter what you will do, in ANY sea battles (or attacking Forts/looting/capturing cities), now read this: in BOTH ways, you either shoot or get shot with Knippels (ammunition against sails), your current ship (ANY player ship) will constantly lose sails until they drop and you will be stranded on water! Repeat, with any ship, in any battle! That issue will be more obvious while you advance a bit in the game, to the point where you literally will leave the game for good.... OR:
decide to mod your game! (we all are force to do it eventually)
Now, @ mods you have 2 choices: CMV 3.2 (Combined mod) or GOF2 (Gentlemen of fortune), among some other mods, but those 2 are the most known and better tested by the community, with awesome results!

1. CMV 3.2 is a round, completed mod! That means that over years you can still play with your savegame with no worry that somebody will force you to create a new savegame because they edit someting, even minor things like some cannon damage. It will also bring the ships Black Pearl and the Flying Dutchman and many new characters to play (like Jack Sparrow, ect) more common, and you will have a great time. ( also tested and enjoyed be me over many years)
2. GoF2, which is more of a continuation mod of CMV 3.2, a mod that from time to time still gets some updates. If you are into getting some new content (but to the expense of creating a new start game, and new savegames) this could be another choice for you. Both ships (the Black Pearl and the Flying Dutchman are also present). Unfortunately, I had mixed experience with it, sometimes worked, sometimes did not even started, after a fresh install of Windows, with all drivers and net framework to date... I hope it will work better to you. However, when it worked, it was nice...
Bear in mind there are some ramifications of Gentlemen of Fortune, so more than one option you have here!

What is notable to mention is that any of those mods eliminate the bugs like Damage to own sails or loyalty of you officers constantly dropping, so, enjoy the game how you decide to take it, even vanilla if you like it that way. As a reminder, I don't really know if you are a veteran in the PotC game series, (AoP2 is just another release in the series), but if you're looking for a more exciting and realistic style naval combat, you should look the game PotC with the New Horizons mod, also tested by me, and it offers a truly awesome experience on sea, which AoP2 is unable to deliver unfortunately. Which is sad cause I still really love AoP2...

Last edited:
- Damage to your ships sails! No matter what you will do, in ANY sea battles (or attacking Forts/looting/capturing cities), now read this: in BOTH ways, you either shoot or get shot with Knippels (ammunition against sails), your current ship (ANY player ship) will constantly lose sails until they drop and you will be stranded on water!

Are you sure, that this bug still persists? I have version 1.3.0 on Steam and didn't experience this behaviour at all during my playthrough last year. I tried it out again a couple of minutes ago, got into a fight, was shot at with knippels until half my sails were gone, shot knippels at the enemy and fled the scene. My sail's hitpoints remained consistent, only going lower when I was being hit.

- Loyalty of you officers with ALWAYS and constantly DROP, until thet reach 0 and are prone to mutiny, or to leave you (and any other ships they may currently sail, even if you just try to sell it!)

For my savegame at least, I am also not able to replicate this bug. I have 4 officers, although three of them are special one from quests, none of them lose their loyalty by much over time. Their loss of loyalty is mostly due to me setting actions they aren't happy with, like attacking merchant ships and so on. I have stayed on the world map for two ingame months to see if their loyalty drops, but the loyalty stayed on exactly the same level.

Last edited:
you should look the game PotC with the New Horizons mod, also tested by me, and it offers a truly awesome experience on sea, which AoP2 is unable to deliver unfortunately.
Maybe some day a clever person will be able to get the newer games to the same level too?
There must be a way to do it; I'm sure of it.

Unfortunately I prefer not to apply mods to the game, because they transform all the texts into English, and I don't understand English, and I miss all the fun.
So I remain in the vanilla game which in my case is completely free of bugs: the ones that were there, including the bug of the fidelity of the officers, I had already corrected during my activity in the game 10 years ago, and I found in ancient " "Backups the" Program "properly adjusted. I had never noticed the "damage to the sails" bug: I have always considered it a normal occurrence in fights, and I have always adapted to it, as I accept it today.
P.S. @-SILVER_, I can't find the "Items.c" file ... I'm really rusty! :oops:

Hello DH27

Are you sure, that this bug still persists? I have version 1.3.0 on Steam and didn't experience this behaviour at all during my playthrough last year. I tried it out again a couple of minutes ago, got into a fight, was shot at with knippels until half my sails were gone, shot knippels at the enemy and fled the scene. My sail's hitpoints remained consistent, only going lower when I was being hit.
I am playing relatively often AoP2 from around 2013 or 2014, a bit late from its original release in 2009. Until the date (in 2021). My versions tried were the original release, and the GOG versions, exactly how I stated in my comment:
play the vanilla (original) version of the game, be it the old copy, or the GOG version,
Needless to say, both versions had the same bugs, damage to sails and loyalty drop. Let me be more clearer: Damage to sails was so bad that actually when I fired knippels, I was getting also damage to my own sails. Same with the loyalty of my officers, Ned and the other, the navigator and gunner, although I always made good things (boarding ships and cut them free, donating money to church, rescuing ladies on jungles etc you get it) I ALWAYS got negative rep with them! Obviously, I realized the game was bugged so i let the out for a few years, just to return to modding it, as a last resort! Imagine the letdown i got when I saw the GOG version has the same bugs!
Now, I really don't want to discredit you or something, it is very possible you tested the game way behind I left it and some issues were solved (although that not explain the GOG version being bugged as well...), but, if you said you had your experience with the game, I recognize it and don't deny it in any way! PLS be sure you read in my post about late game being more obvious, right? :

That issue will be more obvious while you advance a bit in the game

Pls be sure I have played the game in vanilla state for more than like 2 years before modding it, including the GOG version to really stress it out in testing, I am not that kind of person who goes to a quick youtubie after 5 minutes of gameplay and quickly ask to join my channel, facebook and and link to my website...

Ehhh Pieter... always the charmer...

Maybe some day a clever person will be able to get the newer games to the same level too?
There must be a way to do it; I'm sure of it.
You don't know how happy I would be! Evidently, AoP2 has some improvements over PotC (for Christ six, it was released in 2003, unlike AoP2 in 2009!!!). I also clearly stated that, in the same post :
Which is sad cause I still really love AoP2...

BUT, as far as I see it, with no offense to anyone, I declare now I kind of love both games (PotC and AoP2), the latter was in concept a little more arcade style, compared to PotC, to likely hit more player database, at least in sea battles, and so, the ships turn MUCH more easily than in PotC. And that opinion is the same to every person who played both games (I am also curious about your opinion if is not the same). NOT that is a bad thing, for example, I like AoP bc I dont have always the time, and the persistent savegame option is much more facile than in PotC. But when I want a real engaging naval battle, and have some time, I just go with PotC, simple as that (to the expense of not being able to sage the prior a battle or grappling, and a more barbaric ground battle while boarding...). Although thanks to you know who ( :) ) I might be able to mitigate that savegame in PotC before boarding a ship, to make that game really glorious!

@ giocoso

Unfortunately I prefer not to apply mods to the game

While I have stated in the same post:

so, enjoy the game how you decide to take it, even vanilla if you like it that way.

It is the same principle I apply to a game, I always prefer the vanilla with no alterations simply bc the vanilla is thought (usually by a dedicated, professional dev team), and the mods are just for extended fun after you get really bored with the original. not to mention that to call yourself a modder you have to have a keen eye in playing games and especially to have the players in mind, not your personal opinions to get the better of you, and to give them many choices, not force upon them your views. As a side note, probably only 5 percent (but realistically think even less) of the mods out there are to make a name for themselves and become exciting, so, I completely agree with the people keeping the vanilla versions, also for the stability and continuity (you get to keep the same savegame for many many years, right?)
That being said, I must say again, enjoy the game, I think this is the best series of pirate games really worthwhile :) See you on the high seas

Oh God, I just saw it, and I was just about to leave the site, my bad!
P.S. @-SILVER_, I can't find the "Items.c" file ... I'm really rusty!
Worry not my sea friend, we are all rusty in the beginning if you never bothered to mod you game just yet, just like everybody. The file i was talking about is in:
\your preferred game folder\Sea Dogs - City of Abandoned Ships\Program\ITEMS
there just edit the file say with Notepad++, it is a free software that will help you edit files with highlight in colors easily adaptable for C/C++ (what AoP2 uses), Python and so on, for Windows. And pls don't think I advise you to use Windows (I am a Linux fan for many years), but simply AoP2 has some issues playing it on Wine under Linux, and also I assume you use Windows. Have fun, and always remember to make a quick copy of the file you edit (like file-Backup.c) bc in the end, you will always screw some things up and you'll need the original to save an accurate sample.

Unfortunately I prefer not to apply mods to the game, because they transform all the texts into English, and I don't understand English, and I miss all the fun.
You could try to take the simplest mod that has the fixes you want; then WinMerge so you can copy the code line changes without adding in the language changes.
Would take a fair bit of time and effort; and diving into the more code-y side of things; but for sure it could be done.

Ehhh Pieter... always the charmer...
What do you mean...? o_O

You don't know how happy I would be!
Someone would have to dive into the code.
But a lot of the PotC code and CoAS code are fairly compatible.

As far as I can tell though, any coding done on CoAS has been really REALLY simple compared to that done on New Horizons.
Seems like we've been really lucky with the people who dedicated to invest their time in the earlier game...

I declare now I kind of love both games (PotC and AoP2), the latter was in concept a little more arcade style, compared to PotC, to likely hit more player database, at least in sea battles, and so, the ships turn MUCH more easily than in PotC.
I'm not familiar with CoAS; but I always assumed stock PotC was more arcadey than the latter game.
Of course PotC did have the "Arcade"/"Realistic" switch.
And with "New Horizons", the ship handling in Realistic was completely overhauled.

I always prefer the vanilla with no alterations simply bc the vanilla is thought (usually by a dedicated, professional dev team), and the mods are just for extended fun after you get really bored with the original. not to mention that to call yourself a modder you have to have a keen eye in playing games and especially to have the players in mind, not your personal opinions to get the better of you, and to give them many choices, not force upon them your views. As a side note, probably only 5 percent (but realistically think even less) of the mods out there are to make a name for themselves and become exciting
I wonder where "New Horizons" falls in that somewhere.
I'm not aware of it being a very "personal opinion" mod.
Certainly not with all the overwhelming amount of customization options...

Hehe, give yourself more credit than you might think! In my experience, those who can write in English so well like you did, would probably have no problems understanding texts just by reading... Not to mention the real life, surely English is extremely useful for anything, from watching a movie (and not relying on subtitles/bad translations), enriching yourself and keeping your brain active (if you're over with school), visiting any country in this world etc... For example, I have visited many countries and speaking in English I had no problem to get directions, buying from stores, keeping a social chit-chat with people around me :)

What do you mean...?
Errrr... you're kidding me, right?
But anyway, in the case that you're not, or maybe in your country could have a polysemantic meaning, a charmer is "a person with good qualities and engaging"
charmer
I have observed your enthusiasm and hopes regarding a potential professional mod towards CoaS (I quoted you immediately after my comment as charmer), and simply bc I have saw your optimism over years in the forum, (I observe PiratesAhoy for news for many many years, despite I have never commented yet, didn't feel the need), and this is exactly why the "Always a charmer" comment. Hope that clarifies it.

but I always assumed stock PotC was more arcadey than the latter game.
Hmmm, I will simply comment to clarify a fact, I really hope anyone else if reading this comment to be mature and nor start a war over 2 games. But it is my duty to respond to Pieter, so here it comes:
PotC vs CoaS regarding the arcade aspect, are really quite different. I speak bc I had the chance to play them both for a longer period of time, and currently, I still have them both on my hdd and still play them, but, to be honest, from my experience, nope, PotC is not more arcade than CoaS, on the contrary, it is more realistic in 2 major aspects, and one will be faced with those aspects every time when they will play the game. To exemplification:
1. Naval combat on sea: PotC - ships turn more realistically, making you believe you actually sail a boat, while CoaS: Ships turn constantly like motored ski jets, thus, extremely not realistic. Impact on player: this mechanics is always met by players, cause they will always sail in both games...
2. Ground combat: PotC - while it seems basic, 1 single attack move, 1 single block move, it still makes you be extremely careful while playing, because if fighting against 3-4 targets, they can easily kill you. You can easily be killed by 1 single person also. Similarly, you can always be killed by the captain of the ship you are boarding! Thus, somewhat very realistic and engaging. On the contrary: CoaS - you have more fencing options, basic attack, heavy attack, block, evade, and one more... ahhh, magic! a swing attack that can hit like ALL enemies in front of you. Even 6-7 of them, and if you critically hit, you kill them all (very unrealistic, seems a huge cheat) and you can fight huge hoards of enemies killing them all like that (on more occasions I took down forts of over 800 people alone, with no fighters in my team!!!). Impact on player: every battle they start, be it on ground, or sea by boarding enemy ships and fighting the crew/captain.
As shown, in conclusion CoaS is much more arcade than PotC. I guess this is where the infamous saying "They don't do it anymore like they used to do it" applies quite well. I'll rest my case

I wonder where "New Horizons" falls in that somewhere.
First and foremost, that commentary was solely directed towards CoaS in the response of giocoso's statement "I prefer to not mod the game", not New Horizons
Second, I, as a gamer first and modder second, have quite an ample experience in creating mods for quite a respectful period of time, on multiple games. Amongst most notorious games I can cite Counter-Strike (1.6, NOT GO), Battlefield 2, X-series (X3, Terran Conflict, Albion Prelude, and X-Rebirth, I stopped there, NO X4), GTA San Andreas, Mount and Blade Warband.
Third, I have a very extended knowledge of many mods, since I have used many mods on most of the games I used to play/test. I also was an official reviewer for a public gaming website.
That being said, the previous statement of mine where I have affirmed that probably less than 5 percent of mods make a name for themselves, still applies (it is my opinion, everyone is free to share their experiences!)

Now, if you ask my opinion about New Horizons, I can find an easy answer: it is one of those rare exceptions that makes it a part inside of that 5 percent, and quite gloriously! Not saying is perfect (but I assume to ask perfection from a mod when you can't have it in an official game is at least childlish,) but it does the job quite well. It has a lot player choices in the settings, a great custom menu, ability to turn on/off realistic engagements, or vanilla gameplay. I would say I would have liked to see much more mods like that, or at least to become a standard to any modding teams out there (choices and setting options).
As a side note: My copy of PotC on my home computer does have this mod installed, and even uses the most recent update (May or April can't be sure now, the most relevant is the year, 2021)
Now, simply because I find myself on the website where the developer team of this mod also resides, I would think congratulations are in order!

Errrr... you're kidding me, right?
But anyway, in the case that you're not, or maybe in your country could have a polysemantic meaning, a charmer is "a person with good qualities and engaging"
charmer
Sorry... I was missing the context.

I have observed your enthusiasm and hopes regarding a potential professional mod towards CoaS (I quoted you immediately after my comment as charmer), and simply bc I have saw your optimism over years in the forum, (I observe PiratesAhoy for news for many many years, despite I have never commented yet, didn't feel the need), and this is exactly why the "Always a charmer" comment. Hope that clarifies it.
Never would've thought of myself as "charming".
More like "off-putting", really...
Sounds like a thank-you is in order then. :cheers

Hmmm, I will simply comment to clarify a fact, I really hope anyone else if reading this comment to be mature and nor start a war over 2 games. But it is my duty to respond to Pieter, so here it comes:
PotC vs CoaS regarding the arcade aspect, are really quite different. I speak bc I had the chance to play them both for a longer period of time, and currently, I still have them both on my hdd and still play them, but, to be honest, from my experience, nope, PotC is not more arcade than CoaS, on the contrary, it is more realistic in 2 major aspects, and one will be faced with those aspects every time when they will play the game. To exemplification:
1. Naval combat on sea: PotC - ships turn more realistically, making you believe you actually sail a boat, while CoaS: Ships turn constantly like motored ski jets, thus, extremely not realistic. Impact on player: this mechanics is always met by players, cause they will always sail in both games...
2. Ground combat: PotC - while it seems basic, 1 single attack move, 1 single block move, it still makes you be extremely careful while playing, because if fighting against 3-4 targets, they can easily kill you. You can easily be killed by 1 single person also. Similarly, you can always be killed by the captain of the ship you are boarding! Thus, somewhat very realistic and engaging. On the contrary: CoaS - you have more fencing options, basic attack, heavy attack, block, evade, and one more... ahhh, magic! a swing attack that can hit like ALL enemies in front of you. Even 6-7 of them, and if you critically hit, you kill them all (very unrealistic, seems a huge cheat) and you can fight huge hoards of enemies killing them all like that (on more occasions I took down forts of over 800 people alone, with no fighters in my team!!!). Impact on player: every battle they start, be it on ground, or sea by boarding enemy ships and fighting the crew/captain.
As shown, in conclusion CoaS is much more arcade than PotC. I guess this is where the infamous saying "They don't do it anymore like they used to do it" applies quite well. I'll rest my case
Wow; have to say, I'm really surprised!
But that's really interesting too.

Indeed I've always found the basic ground combat in PotC to be quite challenging already.
Especially when more than 1 enemy is around.
And that's even with that infinitely-effective-blocking.

For some reason, more different sorts of attacks always tend to confuse me.
I just never know when which type of attack is the better one to use.
Especially since it all goes so quick there's hardly time to think.

Now I wonder how TEHO compares.
From what I always understood, that's the most "hard-core" game of them all.

First and foremost, that commentary was solely directed towards CoaS in the response of giocoso's statement "I prefer to not mod the game", not New Horizons
Second, I, as a gamer first and modder second, have quite an ample experience in creating mods for quite a respectful period of time, on multiple games. Amongst most notorious games I can cite Counter-Strike (1.6, NOT GO), Battlefield 2, X-series (X3, Terran Conflict, Albion Prelude, and X-Rebirth, I stopped there, NO X4), GTA San Andreas, Mount and Blade Warband.
Third, I have a very extended knowledge of many mods, since I have used many mods on most of the games I used to play/test. I also was an official reviewer for a public gaming website.
That being said, the previous statement of mine where I have affirmed that probably less than 5 percent of mods make a name for themselves, still applies (it is my opinion, everyone is free to share their experiences!)
Wow; you've been quite around then, haven't you! :woot

Now, if you ask my opinion about New Horizons, I can find an easy answer: it is one of those rare exceptions that makes it a part inside of that 5 percent, and quite gloriously! Not saying is perfect (but I assume to ask perfection from a mod when you can't have it in an official game is at least childlish,) but it does the job quite well. It has a lot player choices in the settings, a great custom menu, ability to turn on/off realistic engagements, or vanilla gameplay. I would say I would have liked to see much more mods like that, or at least to become a standard to any modding teams out there (choices and setting options).
As a side note: My copy of PotC on my home computer does have this mod installed, and even uses the most recent update (May or April can't be sure now, the most relevant is the year, 2021)
Now, simply because I find myself on the website where the developer team of this mod also resides, I would think congratulations are in order!
Really glad to hear it!
Of course I hoped as much; we've certainly aimed for that.
But "aiming for" and "succeeding" are two different things.

So thank ye very kindly. :bow

Back