• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Long rifle reload time.

AB704

Landlubber
I found the long rile in the Maltese crypt and got the scope after helping the church.

I've read some information about the rifle, and while it wasn't confirmed there was a thread from 2015 where Pieter Boelen said the gun would have either 1 or up to 5 second reload time like the shotgun from Clint Eastwood.

But the reload time of the rifle is 30 seconds in my case. Furthermore the rifle doesn't seem "special"
It has the same stats as a normal musket, but with a 80% accuracy instead of 60% accuracy.

When I go into free aim mode and press Q there seem to be puffs of smoke without gun sound. That should somehow indicate it can fire multiple rounds. Only when I aim at someone does the actual bullet get used but then I have to wait 30 seconds.

Can someone confirm how to shoot more then one bullet with this thing if it can.
If not, what makes it special? I do use muskets sometimes but I rather have horse pistols and 20% better accuracy over muskets is a better musket after all.

Last edited:
I believe the accuracy is the special feature. The long reload is reasonable, 30 seconds means 2 rounds per minute which was about average for a rifle. The problem with a rifle versus a musket is that, for the rifling to be any use, the bullet must be tighter fitting than a musket ball, therefore harder to ram into place.

Watch the "Sharpe" TV series when you get the chance. Sharpe's men are expected to be able to fire 3 rounds per minute and they're experts with a relatively modern design of rifle; normal rate of fire is 2 rounds per minute. The one in the Maltese Abbey is presumably an experimental rifle as it's available a lot earlier than "Napoleonic" period, which means you're lucky you're even getting 2 rounds per minute.

Rapid-fire, magazine-fed sniper rifles are a much more modern invention! Having said that, there is one rapid-fire rifle available, but you'll need to play the "Bartolomeu" storyline to get it.

I see,

First of all I might in fact watch the sharp series as I haven't done so yet. But I'm aware of the long reload times of these weapons. Maybe I presumed this was something like a ordinary easter egg weapon like the shotgun is, which is a unrealistic weapon for the time period anyway and exists in the game.

I have experimented with the rifle yesterday and there is another benefit over muskets, you can hip fire and you can still draw your sword while the musket is the melee weapon itself. This in fact makes it not really that bad and there is something to it. But as of right know I would want to play the Bartolomeu storyline just for that other rifle.

Thanks for clarifying though.

When I go into free aim mode and press Q there seem to be puffs of smoke without gun sound. That should somehow indicate it can fire multiple rounds. Only when I aim at someone does the actual bullet get used but then I have to wait 30 seconds.
This is because of how the game engine handles it.
Maybe @Hammie's update could address this at some point in the future?
But as it is, all the code to handle "shooting" only executes when you shoot a character.
Ideally if you don't aim at a character, you wouldn't shoot at all; but I have no clue how to prevent that...

Maybe I presumed this was something like a ordinary easter egg weapon like the shotgun is, which is a unrealistic weapon for the time period anyway and exists in the game.
When we added it to the game, originally it was indeed going to just be a special "shotgun-mode" rifle.
But as we kept going, the development spiralled out of control and we ended up with a much more realistic rifle and the "shotgun mode" moved to a brand-new ability instead.

Was a fun process when we all collaborated on that one, actually!
End result was much better than we would've accomplished by ourselves. :woot

This is because of how the game engine handles it.
Maybe @Hammie's update could address this at some point in the future?
But as it is, all the code to handle "shooting" only executes when you shoot a character.
Ideally if you don't aim at a character, you wouldn't shoot at all; but I have no clue how to prevent that...
Personally I would just set it to shoot when you tell it to. Regardless of whether or not you are aiming at someone.
Seems more realistic this way.

Back