• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Major microstuttering on GTX 1070 with the DirectX8 Sea Dog games

JackOfOwls

Powder Monkey
I'm using the 1.7 bugfix-only combined patch for CoAS and though I have a fairly good rig (i5 3.9 GHZ/GTX 1070) I get annoying microstutter every few seconds with these games. I have to use RivaTuner to lock framerates at 60 FPS to get smooth framerates but even when it's smooth, every few seconds I get major microstutter that lasts for a few seconds then returns to normal then back again. I'm using Windows 10 with all recent updates and I tried various compatibility modes. Also using latest Nvidia drivers but tried earlier ones and still the issue persists. Anyone else have this problem and found a fix or is this likely a DirectX8 problem with no fix? I also noticed that when the microstutter occurs my FPS remains constant at 60 FPS so it's not an actual framerate drop just some kind of hiccup.

You could try installing/implementing the dgvoodoo 2 package in addition to RivaTuner. It may change/improve graphics performance, seeing as it may override the DirectX 8 emulation in DirectX 10/11 to using proper hardware rendering and APIs instead.

See also the (latest) discussion in this thread: Solved - Windows 10: Low Frame Rates Despite (BECAUSE OF!) Good Hardware

(Bottom line is that Windows 10 is terrible for old-school gaming, though -- and it will only get worse with future updates.)

Last edited:
You could try installing/implementing the dgvoodoo 2 package in addition to RivaTuner. It may change/improve graphics performance, seeing as it may override the DirectX 8 emulation in DirectX 10/11 to using proper hardware rendering and APIs instead.

See also the (latest) discussion in this thread: Solved - Windows 10: Low Frame Rates Despite (BECAUSE OF!) Good Hardware

(Bottom line is that Windows 10 is terrible for old-school gaming, though -- and it will only get worse with future updates.)

Okay, I'll try it. Thanks, mate :)

Just thought I'd poke my head in here after 4-5 years to say that the DGVoodoo wrapper was definitely a cure-all for the stuttering in CoAS and many many other old DirectX games (ie Indiana Jones 3rd-person adventures) that don't play well on modern hardware. Just be sure to use updated versions of DGVoodoo to prevent window switching bugs with CoAS on modern displays.

Back