• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Michael Crichton's Pirate Latitudes

Well, the first few chapters are a bit slow, but that of course is how most books are. Mainly setting up a little back story and introducing main characters, there is a LOT of potential in what I read from those first few chapters. The last few pages that they posted on line are about to the point where things really start to take off! The opening chapters feature a pretty good description of Port Royal and the political climate between Spain and England, oh yes, and a pirate hanging! I now also know how to treat gout and baldness! xD:

I ran across this review from The Washington Post this morning if you want to find out a little more about the book. I didn't read all of the review though, i am trying to hold of till the book actually gets here so I can read it for myself!

Thriller king's lost booty

PIRATE LATITUDES

By Michael Crichton

Harper.

312 pp. $27.99

Hoist the Jolly Roger above the bestseller list, ye mateys, 'cause Michael Crichton has just published a swashbuckling pirate thriller. The popular author of "Jurassic Park" and "The Andromeda Strain" went to Davy Jones's locker last November, but his assistant found a finished draft of "Pirate Latitudes" on his computer, and Harper has plundered this booty like a chest of gold doubloons that washed up on shore. The first print run is a million copies, and Steven Spielberg has already signed on to produce the inevitable movie version, so drop sail and prepare to be boarded.

Although plenty of novels are ripped to shreds in Hollywood's shark-infested waters, "Pirate Latitudes" should enjoy smooth sailing to the silver screen. This hilariously exciting book already reads like a film treatment, jumping from one cinematic, doom-filled episode to the next as it cuts its bloody way through the encyclopedia of piracy from "Ahoy" to "Yo-ho-ho."

Crichton opens the story in 1665 in "a miserable, overcrowded, cutthroat-infested town" on the island of Jamaica, a wealthy if precarious British settlement deep in Spanish territory. King Charles II has signed a fragile treaty with Spain, but English pirates -- who euphemistically call themselves "privateers" -- continue to operate whenever and wherever opportunity arises. "Let me explain to you certain pertinent facts," the governor says in a rather too clunky bit of exposition, but tell your inner 14-year-old to hang on: Once we get past this first section, "Pirate Latitudes" howls along till the very last page.

You can read the rest of the review here :
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/24/AR2009112403201.html

I just got the book from my brother, I'm looking forward to reading it when I get the chance.

You will like it Officerpuppy! It's a real page turner once ya get past the setup of the first few chapters. I am really looking forward to seeing this as a movie, there are a couple of scenes that will just look fantastic on the big screen!

Oh, btw, my review for it is up on the front page! :wp

All I can say is.. we need more reviews such as these :3

History and philosophy is going to get boring without you!

I finished the book a week ago, it was awesome, made me wish it wasn't so short; or at least it felt short to me. I flew through the book in a few days, I couldn't put it down.

If they do make the movie which seems like a done deal. Who should play who?

I was thinking maybe:

Hunter: Brad Pitt
The Moor: Ving Rhames
Sanson: Jean Reno

I'm not convinced with Brad taking the lead, maybe Crowe could be it but considering he's done MC, maybe he would prefer to be Jack again then take on a new character. Who ever they pick has to manlier than Depp IMO. I'm not saying Depp is a wuss, but personally I envsion Hunter being a big guy with a charm.

Sharpe should be a young English actress and Lazue a French actress.

Cazalla is an interesting challenge, he should deffintely have a Spanish accent. I've heard of a movie that Vigo Morttesen has done which saw release in Spain in 06, perhaps he could do a convincing Spanish accent speaking in English of course.

Back