• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Musket volley->Iron man mode

Lrv

Sailor Apprentice
Hey!

For learning the skill Musket volley, you need to have professional gunman and a "boarding" skill(Don't know the name), but in iron Man mode there are no boarding skills available to unlock, how do I get Musket volley then?

*I know you can switch the realism modes, but I prefer not in case it creates problems with the current profile/save games

Edit "PROGRAM\Characters\Perks\Perks_init.c". Find this section:
Code:
   ChrPerksList.list.LongRangeGrappling.descr = "perkLongRangeGrappling";
   ChrPerksList.list.LongRangeGrappling.disable.iRealismMode = 2; //Levis
   ChrPerksList.list.LongRangeGrappling.disable.REALISTIC_ABILITIES = 2; //Levis
   ChrPerksList.list.LongRangeGrappling.cost = 3; // Levis
   ChrPerksList.list.LongRangeGrappling.locked = true; //Levis
   ChrPerksList.list.LongRangeGrappling.type = PERK_TYPE_BOARDING; //Levis
Delete both the "disable" lines. That should make the ability "Long Range Boarding" available regardless of realism mode.

@Pieter Boelen: should we change that in the official mod, so that "Musket Volley" is available? It's not even locked, nor is it directly dependent on realism settings, but if "Long Range Boarding" isn't available then, as has been seen, "Musket Volley" appears available but is impossible to take.

Reactions: Lrv
@Pieter Boelen: should we change that in the official mod, so that "Musket Volley" is available? It's not even locked, nor is it directly dependent on realism settings, but if "Long Range Boarding" isn't available then, as has been seen, "Musket Volley" appears available but is impossible to take.
In that case, either make "Musket Volley" also unavailable OR do as you suggest. I don't really mind either way.

Would you say "Long Range Boarding" is really very unrealistic? If not, it might as well be enabled.

Reactions: Lrv
Strictly speaking, boarding would probably only happen if the two ships were right next to each other. That won't happen in PoTC, not least because some ships have silly collision boxes which means you can't get right next to them.

Besides, the attacking ship wouldn't steer right next to the target. Grappling ropes would be thrown to the enemy ship, then the attacker would pull the two ships together. So "Long Range Boarding" probably just involves being able to throw those ropes further and more accurately.

I wouldn't regard "Musket Volley" as very unrealistic. (It is, after all, how Admiral Nelson met his end.) If it's to be allowed in "Iron Man" and "Realistic" modes then either the requirement for "Long Range Boarding" has to go, or "Long Range Boarding" has to be allowed as well. Losing the requirement for "Long Range Boarding" means it's no longer dependent on any boarding-related ability on the boatswain's part (or yours).

So all in all, the most realistic, or least unrealistic, solution is probably to allow "Long Range Boarding" in the tougher modes.

Back