• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Mysterious Coin

omnimirage

Powder Monkey
I found this darn item and now I've become brokenly strong in melee, my roleplaying and grinding experience has been ruined, and I can't easily use my scope in battle because there's a cloud of smoke always surrounding me. Worst off, I can't get rid of the bloody thing! Can't sell it and whenever I discard it into a crate it magically appears back into my inventory. How can I be rid of this blasted curse?

Would also like to say, thanks for the great work, this is a absolutely huge improvement over vanilla and I'm having a blast playing :D

I'm quite annoyed now as I believe I've found what gave me the horrid reputation; is being seen in my undead form contribute to my infamy? If so, this is ridiculous and game breaking, I would have loved to play on but I can't even walk into ports without being attacked. Please tell me there's a means of getting rid of this bullshit feature and restoring my reputation to what it was previously.

To get rid of the coin you have to put it back in the chest on the Isle de Muerte:
Go to Tortuga - talk to Mr Gibbs in the tavern - gives you Aztec Compass - sail to Isle de Muerte ( west of Aruba ) - land at Deserted Shore and put coin back in chest in Treasure Cave and you will be restored to normal.

:drunk

Sorry - the islands names change depending on which story you are playing ( since the stories are set in different time periods ).

If you sail North between the 2 large islands - Cuba & Hispaniola - Tortuga is the 1st small island you see .

On the F2 - Colonies screen it is included as part of Hispaniola.

:cheers

ty

What about the reputation? I'm randomly losing 12 reputation and I can no longer barter with any non-pirate merchants anymore.

I am not absolutely sure - but I think your reputation is restored when you get rid of the coin.

If your reputation is causing you serious problems then you can use the cheats to alter it:

To enable the cheats open InternalSettings.h file in the PROGRAM folder - at the bottom of the file change ENABLE CHEATS to 1. Save File

The go to game and reload a Save

Cheats are:-

================================
Cheats:
================================
These only work if ENABLE_CHEATMODE is on
at the bottom of PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h

Numpad 0 = Character: God Mode
Numpad 1 = Scroll Characters LEFT
Numpad 2 = Select Main Character
Numpad 3 = Scroll Characters RIGHT
Numpad 4 = Character: Level-Up
Numpad 5 = Character: Fake Level Up
Numpad 6 = Player: + 100000 Gold and + 10000 Wealth
Numpad 7 = Character: Cycle through reputations (increase/decrease reputation)
Numpad 8 = Disable worldmap storms and ships chasing you
Numpad 9 = Trigger enemy attack (cheatmode not required)
TAB = Shotgun Mode: If you have a shotgun equipped in Fight Mode

This information can be found in the Default Key Assignments Text File in the Game's Documentation folder

To confirm, the blasted curse does lower reputation?
No, it doesn't touch your reputation. The way the curse works is supposed to be just a joke, really.
It does get bad when you get more coins FROM the chest on Isla de Muerta, but that would have to be done on purpose.

Stuck already; where is Tortuga? That isn't the name of any island, nor any colony.
It's name is normally "La Tortue" because historically it is French and was named that in real life too.

What about the reputation? I'm randomly losing 12 reputation and I can no longer barter with any non-pirate merchants anymore.
I don't know why your reputation dropped. Are you saying it keeps doing so?
Try opening PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h and set ENABLE_CHEATMODE to 1 at the bottom of that file.
Then use Numpad 7 to set your reputation back to normal.

BTW: You should only be a strong-and-hated skeleton at night. During daytime, everything should be quite normal.
Here are more details on this feature:
Code:
  . Elaborate Curse of Cortez functionality added for Aztec Coins by Pieter Boelen
  > The chest in the cave on Isla de Muerta is filled with Aztec Coins
  > Aztec Coins turn you into a skeleton when outside at night, that is hated by all
  You get additional HP for this, but only WHILE you are a skeleton
  > Aztec Coins can be given to officers/crew or placed in all your ships' weaponslockers
  If placed in the Weaponslocker, they are used by boarders and decrease crew damage during sea battles
  > Food and Rum consumption decreases for each crewmember cursed, but morale decreases too
  > Aztec Coins can be sold; however, they WILL keep counting for the extent of the curse
  > After a while of being cursed, your ship will get torn sails and start trailing fog
  > The curse can only be lifted by placing 882 coins back in the chest on Isla de Muerta
  Careful with losing those coins! If you can't collect 882 again, you're stuck with the curse!
  There is ONE place other than the chest on Isla de Muerta where ONE additional coin can be acquired if you are in dire need of it. Guess where!

It worked it worked! ;D

Could I be losing reputation for not paying my crew's salary? Or could it be because I haven't payed back the loanshark in awhile?

Could I be losing reputation for not paying my crew's salary? Or could it be because I haven't payed back the loanshark in awhile?

:rofl

Not paying your crew will lower their moral - eventually they will mutiny. :whipa

Not paying Loansharks - they will send bounty hunters after you - when you arrive at a port/ shore you will meet bad guys that want to kill you. :duel:

You generally get a bad personal reputation if you do bad things - not helping people in distress, attacking people, etc.

I have little, the reason why I'm not paying them is because I cannot afford it.

I've had to use the reputation cheat about 6 times now, it just keeps dropping: are you guys sure that being in dept to loan sharks doesn't cause reduced reputation?

It's been awhile since I've had so much fun with a game :)

I've had to use the reputation cheat about 6 times now, it just keeps dropping: are you guys sure that being in dept to loan sharks doesn't cause reduced reputation?
Being in debt DOES cause a reputation drop if you don't pay it back on time.

Perhaps this part from our FAQ helps?
4. My reputation is horrible. How can I change what people think about me?
Firstly, you probably didn't know what caused this. Your reputation goes down when:
- You failed to pay off a loan from the loan shark "on time".
- You failed to deliver cargo "on time".
- You hit or killed civilians or merchants.
- Your landing party and/or officers hurt or killed a civilian. Note, this can happen even at a distance if your officers use guns.
- You fired on a friendly or neutral ship.
- You basically did the evil thing in a certain situation.
To fix this, do the obvious thing: good deeds. talking to people and helping them, rescuing shipwreck survivors, finishing quests you still have going which give you a reputation bonus, etc.

Back