• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Name for scripting language?

Fluen

Freebooter
The scripting language used in the C-, H- or whatever-files, that can be opened in notepad and is among other things used to script dialogues, is it a common coding language? Or is it native to the storm engine?

It is similar to C/C++, but I have been led to understand it is a slightly modified version for the Storm engine.
A lot of the programming concepts would be interchangeable though.
Just like my knowledge of the PotC game code was quite useful when I had to work with Matlab: those were quite similar in mechanics as well.

Thank you, Pieter. So if I learn C++, I may experiment with the game. Still far off in the horizon, though.

Well most of the code of the game is quite simple. If you have some basic coding knowledge in any programming language you should be able to understand it after you got a little bit of help.
If you know a programming language like PHP then you could understand the POTC code, only the syntax is a bit different but the rest is quite the same.

Thank you, Pieter. So if I learn C++, I may experiment with the game. Still far off in the horizon, though.
Let me put it this way: I never learned ANY programming languages, except by actually modding PotC. Learning by doing!
Advance knowledge probably speeds things up, but it is not a requirement. :no

Back